Why become a member? ×

5-String Bass Player Wanted for Modern Progressive U.K. band

rockwaves

[i]We are currently looking for a five string bass player based in/around London or the South to complete our line-up. We are a semi-established progressive metal band with two releases so far and strongly developed gig experience including several major U.K. festival including: Bestival and Isle of Wight Festival. We are also in the process of confirming a small U.K. tour towards the end of the year supporting a bigger act than ourselves.

We are looking for a musician (aged 18 - 28) with advanced experience on their instrument as well as confidence onstage with a strong stage presence. Generally our shows are extremely energetic! Having your own gear is essential as well as travel ability. We play to click tracks live so experience at this is a bonus but not a requirement.

To summarise if you are looking to get into a band and get gigging immediately, get in touch!

Below is some links to our music and our influences:

Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyNvJ1-7XVE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00RlXdfLhI0

Influences:

Karnivool, Dead Letter Circus, Tool, Deftones, Tesseract, ISIS, Team Sleep, [/i]

[i][email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email][/i]

Best regards,

Robb Dixon.

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1374270399' post='2147177']
Why are you specifically looking for a five string player? It seems an odd requirement.

Like the tunes by the way, hope you find a good player :)
[/quote]

I wondered that. Does it have to be five, or would a six sting player be ok?!

[quote name='rockwaves' timestamp='1374259062' post='2147025']
We certainly have some flexibility when it comes to age. What is important to us at the moment is someone who can fulfill the gigs we have lined up. How much over 28 we talking?

WPF
[/quote]

About, er, 13 years over 28? :D

What if it is a five string tuned E to C? :rolleyes:

What you mean is that you play a lot of stuff below low E, and you need a bass player who can play that. Which can be done on a down-tuned four string BTW... ;)

I wondered how long it would be before the 5 string thing was debated on this post, fwiw in my old band we did do songs that would be impossible in reality on a four string bass no matter how you tuned it as they were arranged pieces written on a five string bass going across and up the neck in equal measure :)

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the responses. To answer your questions about why we are specifically looking for a 5 string player is because we play in drop A. Although you are correct Conan, a 4 string bass can be tuned lower than E, for tonal reasons, we want someone with a 5 string which can handle the down-tuning better.

If anyone is still interested in depping for some gigs immediately, get in touch here for an audition pack:

[email protected]

WPF

[quote name='rockwaves' timestamp='1374831302' post='2153696']
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the responses. To answer your questions about why we are specifically looking for a 5 string player is because we play in drop A. Although you are correct Conan, a 4 string bass can be tuned lower than E, for tonal reasons, we want someone with a 5 string which can handle the down-tuning better.

If anyone is still interested in depping for some gigs immediately, get in touch here for an audition pack:

[email protected]

WPF
[/quote]

Uhh, Many 5 strings are the exact same scale length (34") as 99% of 4 strings. As long as the 4 string has the correct gauge strings and setup, tonally there would be absoloutely no difference.

Pity, I am a very good player, live in London and I love your music. But at the moment I only have 4 strings. I do have a 6 and a 7 string fretless on the way, but because they have the same scale length as my 4's, "Tonally" They obviously cant hack it according to you.

Op I think you are misinformed and mistaken. This a site of well informed bass players who know probably a bit more about downtuning a bass more then your good self.

Of course, if its for other reasons such as "Image" then put that as your reasoning.

[quote name='rockwaves' timestamp='1374831302' post='2153696']
Hi guys,

[email protected]

WPF
[/quote]

I emailed you on July the 20th but no reply so far...I take you are not interested then

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love it when band adds ask for bass players with a set number of extra strings for really no reason. I have played bass for about 30 years, in Prog, rock, blues and other things I can't put a name to. I have never needed a 5,6,8 or anything above a 4 string bass. Non bass players trying to tell the bass player what bass you need to play classic.............

Ta very glad
BIGd

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1374868970' post='2154377']
Uhh, Many 5 strings are the exact same scale length (34") as 99% of 4 strings. As long as the 4 string has the correct gauge strings and setup, tonally there would be absoloutely no difference.

Pity, I am a very good player, live in London and I love your music. But at the moment I only have 4 strings. I do have a 6 and a 7 string fretless on the way, but because they have the same scale length as my 4's, "Tonally" They obviously cant hack it according to you.

Op I think you are misinformed and mistaken. This a site of well informed bass players who know probably a bit more about downtuning a bass more then your good self.

Of course, if its for other reasons such as "Image" then put that as your reasoning.
[/quote]

Your knowledge seems very good but when it comes to knowing my own music, no one knows it better. Believe me, I wrote it. I also played the bass on all of the tracks and I can safely say that without a 5 string bass, it would be physically impossible to play due to the extended range in some of the bass chords & high lead parts which sometimes sound like a 6-string guitar. I totally understand where you are coming from though.

I started on 5 strings due to a very similar circumstance, I played the live shows for a guy called David Barron, he wrote and recorded the lot on a fiver and he is no slouch either, there is no way it could be played on a detuned bass. I used to defend the 4 strings only idea then I started to defend the 5 string idea now I generally leave the whole topic alone, makes no odds to me. Best of luck with the band :)