Why become a member? ×

Effect loop output Voltage, impedance and the like

BassTractor

This is a noob question, I know, but noobs do still exist, so ...

I've often wondered what type of Voltage and output impedance can be found in amp's effect loop outputs, and what type of effect gear builders think of when building amps with these.

I understand there's a difference between feeding an "effected" signal to the preamp or sending an pre-amped signal to an effect unit, but that is not what I'm trying to ask about here. It's just about the electronics in this: voltages, impedances and whatever else that is linked to it.

I'd noobly assume that say a Boss floor effect will do nicely with both hot and less hot pups/built-in preamps, but then, does the average preamp in the amplifier change any voltage at all? I'd assume most head preamps do not actually amplify, but that some do.
I'd also noobly assume that a unit like a TC Electronic G# or M350 would expect say a 1V signal with low output impedance, and might not do well with a cold passive pup.
These assumptions may be on Mars for all I know.

So, does it matter at all (remember: voltage and impedance wise that is - I'm still not talking about preamp settings affecting the signal before or after an effect unit), where in the chain you put your different units?

Thanks for any info that helps my poor brain.

best,
bert

The loop in most amps is a lower level compared to the signal from a bass & is normally more suited to rack effects.
Envelope & dirt pedals are the ones that would most likely sound different with the posibility that the envelope wouldn't get a hot enough signal to trigger it fully.
Experimentation is the way to go.
I tried it & it meant I was running an extra wire to the pedalboard & not getting as good a drive sound & if I us the auto filter on the LPF, it hardly did anything.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1373747793' post='2141285']
The output voltage of a loop typically runs 1v at 600 to 1000 ohms. That makes it not a good match for floor pedals that expect maybe 100mv with the 25kohm output impedance of a bass.
[/quote]

Thanks, guys!
In my head, this means I assumed right then.
Correct me if I'm wrong. :D

b,
b

Hehehe. Great answer to your follow up question!
Me, I'm now gonna put every effect I own in the loop, like Kaoss Pads and studio stuff and the like. Those, and Kaoss Pads. I feel secure they'll work just fine there, and might just do something nice in addition.
One never knows.
To be sure though, I'll add an extra Kaoss Pad.

b,
b

[quote name='Dave_the_bass' timestamp='1374002272' post='2144170']
Just to clarify, my follow up question was:

When using my octave pedal on one of the channel effects loops, in mix mode (Shuttlemax amp), why do I get a delay/echo effect?
[/quote]

thats a strange one

[quote name='Dave_the_bass' timestamp='1374002272' post='2144170']
Just to clarify, my follow up question was:

When using my octave pedal on one of the channel effects loops, in mix mode (Shuttlemax amp), why do I get a delay/echo effect?
[/quote]
Because you have a parallel effects loop, and you're getting a blend of the clean and effected signal.

Why hide, Axe? We're wimps! We aren't gonna harm you!?!?
:)

Must say I have a hard time getting all of this. I'd think a typically 1V / 600 Ohm output would give me a signal fitting for say one of my Kaoss Pads, but no matter what I try, I get no sound.
Maybe it's about time Bert stopped trying to understand stuff, and tried to learn bass instead of linking every box in the house.

b,
b