Why become a member? ×

No alcohol during Cruise Ship work at all? Is this the norm?

coffee_king

Been on the cruise circuit for a few years now and it depends on the cruise.

The ferries out of the UK going to Rotterdam or Amsterdam for example are usually 'Dry Ships' they say you could occasionally get breathalysed but I never did. Use to drink with the security so they aren't that fussed. All depends on who's on the ship. The Filipinos will always get you alcohol if you ask.

I've been on the big ships for the last few years and you can drink anytime of day. Which is great.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1499023335' post='3328684']
I have been (a passenger) on a few cruises. I have seen band members of guest bands and comedians having a drink several times. Had a long chat one night with a comedian after he needed somewhere to sit so joined our table and he had quite a few. But as others have said, every one could be different. One thing not to do is to try and sneak anything on, they all now use airport style scanners so you will be caught. We took a bottle on board a royal Caribbean at the first port and had it confiscated (we hadn't read the rules) and it was returned the last day. They all tend to have a zero tolerance for staff misdemeanour, from what I gather even tiny transgressions see you walking the gangplank at the next port.
[/quote]

How was the Royal Caribbean ship?
I'm out on Equinox this coming Sunday for 6 months.

[quote name='davegriffiths91' timestamp='1499166287' post='3329611']

How was the Royal Caribbean ship?
I'm out on Equinox this coming Sunday for 6 months.
[/quote]
Very very nice, we have done P&O, RC and Princess and it compared very favourably. Food was excellent, ship was great, entertainment was aimed a little towards the American passenger but still good. I did miss the late night comedy club that P&O do though but not a deal breaker. We were on Spendour of the Seas.

[quote name='coffee_king' timestamp='1373636333' post='2139972']
Sorry but I couldnt find a relevant forum section to put this under, so please move it if necessary.
I've been offered some work on a cruise ship, but the T&Cs state NO ALCOHOL WHAT SO EVER. And it is stated many many times. I cannot either bring it on board or buy it from the ships many bars.

Now, I'm no alcoholic and never drink before or during a gig, but who doesnt like a nice cold beer after a long hot sweaty performance?

I'm just wondering if anyone else whose done cruise ships can advise if this is the norm or not?
Its just sounds so.....Nazi to me.
Its a 2 week back to back job and I guess I could live without alcohol for this time, but its not going to make my stay anymore enjoyable. Yes, I know its WORK by the way.

Anyone?
[/quote]

So nothing in the contract about drugs or jazz then :-)

Personally i could live without a drink for a couple of weeks if i wanted that gig, but i would find it very, very hard to do as i expect everyone else would be in a holiday mood and the temptation would be enormous.

• 6 months later...

The contract may be designed to weed out people who have a drink problem. I know many, many musicians who would run a mile from a contract like that.

Then when you get on board the rules may be a bit more reasonable.

Edited by gjones

I imagine different liners have different rules, I've done a couple of cruises, one as passenger status guest ents, and one as crew. The first one, no issue with alcohol as we were effectively passengers, though we got a nice 25% crew discount. Said liner also had Slop-chest too, which was great. It was for crew / guest ents and it was massively discounted booze, confectionery and such. So obviously they didn't mind crew drinking either. The other company, again, after work hours, they really didn't mind, there was even a crew bar (something pretty common to be fair), with VERY cheap drinks. I recall paying $1.50 for a pint, and soda from the gun was free all around the ship for crew. However, there's still the underlying rule, where all crew members are still on duty on a ship. Look at it this way, a cruise ship is a floating hotel. Now, let's say a hotel goes up in flames, generally, you raise the alarm, get the hell out of there, then probably capture it and put it on social media... you can't do that on a cruise. That's where crew step in, ALL crew (at least on the liner I was on) went through rigorous training and regular drills, as passenger lives were our priority... does anyone want to imagine being in the crap and finding out that the crew are all hammered? So yeah, you can enjoy a drink in there, but you were regularly subject to on the spot breath tests for alcohol. Also, surprise drug tests are a thing too!

With regards to drinking on the gig anyway, I play professionally, as I'm sure quite a few of you on here do too. I have a zero tolerance approach to alcohol before / during performance, as does the tour I'm on. Afterwards, yeah, no problem, provided you're not driving yourself / anybody else (I've been driven around a lot it transpires by someone probably way over the limit - I don't work with them anymore.) But when I see alcohol on stage, at least for anything corporate / function band upwards, it really gets on my nerves. It looks unprofessional and probably doesn't sound great as the gig goes on. At the end of the day, someone is paying for a service, which love it or hate it, alcohol WILL have a detrimental effect on. If I was hiring a function or any professional band, I'd have it in the contract that the band are not to drink during performance. Yes, it sounds a crappy thing to say, but also, I've just had someone come and clean my car professionally, if he turned up and cracked open a beer, he'd also be cracking on home.

Want a drink on the gig? Save it for the pubs and get your mate to drive.

Is it Fjord lines in Norway? I did one of those once. No alcohol. They seemed pretty strict on it, so if it’s a problem, don’t do the gig!

It was my birthday while I was on board, and I still wasn’t allowed a beer, but whatever.

Two weeks without alcohol, hitting the gym every day and practicing in my cabin did me no harm whatsoever!

Edited by Jazzjames