Why become a member? ×

No alcohol during Cruise Ship work at all? Is this the norm?

coffee_king

Sorry but I couldnt find a relevant forum section to put this under, so please move it if necessary.
I've been offered some work on a cruise ship, but the T&Cs state NO ALCOHOL WHAT SO EVER. And it is stated many many times. I cannot either bring it on board or buy it from the ships many bars.

Now, I'm no alcoholic and never drink before or during a gig, but who doesnt like a nice cold beer after a long hot sweaty performance?

I'm just wondering if anyone else whose done cruise ships can advise if this is the norm or not?
Its just sounds so.....Nazi to me.
Its a 2 week back to back job and I guess I could live without alcohol for this time, but its not going to make my stay anymore enjoyable. Yes, I know its WORK by the way.

Anyone?

I would have a cheeky beer after the gig - what are they gonna do, throw you off? Obviously don't get wasted and start touching up the captain's wife. Talk to the others on board first to gauge the situation to work out whether or not the rules are there to be bent!

I worked behind a bar once many years ago and my contract said something similar, but my boss always let me have a free pint at the end of a long shift.

I've not done cruise ship work myself but I am familiar with written terms and conditions at venues being a little more relaxed once you actually get there. That said I wouldn't assume this will be the case. Personally I could go without very easily but we're all different. I can't help but wonder if they had a problem in the past with a previous musician? I'm kind of with Chris_b in that if these are the rules then you have to adhere to them. I also wonder if the 2wks would be a nightmare as they may set very high standards but all this is speculation and you wouldn't know unless you go and find out

Is that 'no drink in work hours' or 'no drink on board'? First one sounds perfectly reasonable; second one, draconian but possibly there's been some kind of trouble before. Might be worth asking the prospective employer to clarify, but as said above - do you want the work?

[quote name='shippo' timestamp='1373636333' post='2139972']
Sorry but I couldnt find a relevant forum section to put this under, so please move it if necessary.
I've been offered some work on a cruise ship, but the T&Cs state NO ALCOHOL WHAT SO EVER. And it is stated many many times. I cannot either bring it on board or buy it from the ships many bars.

Now, I'm no alcoholic and never drink before or during a gig, but who doesnt like a nice cold beer after a long hot sweaty performance?

I'm just wondering if anyone else whose done cruise ships can advise if this is the norm or not?
Its just sounds so.....Nazi to me.
Its a 2 week back to back job and I guess I could live without alcohol for this time, but its not going to make my stay anymore enjoyable. Yes, I know its WORK by the way.

Anyone?
[/quote]

Lets put it this way, you are not gonna be steering the boat......

It might be a T&C that was included as part of a contract that nobody pays attention to, or is aware of. Or it could be an important term of the contract that the employer insists on. Probably a good idea to talk to the employer rather than do a 'what about this?' post on a forum.

Lots of employees have a zero policy on alcohol and there may well be a good reason to have one...
in view of past experiences, but I would be want to be very sure about how strictly this is enforced.

Maybe commit to the short stint and see how it plays out
It depends how important either stance is to you

It doesn't sound much fun to me...

Bit like taking a job that involves wearing a monkey suit. Don't want to wear the suit? Don't take the gig. I suppose Technically being a cruise you are "on duty" and representing the employer at all times as you are effectively on the ship 24/7. I suppose a total alcohol ban is easier to enforce.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1373664049' post='2140474']
Indeed... :mellow:

[attachment=138982:Crui_Wrec.jpg]
[/quote]

One persons few, is not another persons few.

Regarding the OP - It does happen, but is not the norm [It's usually the Ferry Crossing gigs]
Done many Cruise ship gigs around the World and there was never a zero no booze policy,
and there are few others on this forum who have done the same cruises - folk tend to be responsible [full off the rails occasionally]
However I did a couple of the short two week crossings, back and forth from Spain & France with a zero booze policy, and on both occasions
a Muso was sent home for boozing. If you like a drink, stay away from the [OP] gig - There is always someone willing to grass you up.

I ain't drunk booze for around ten years, so it would not bother me...
However these days, the gig would.... :lol:

Garry

Edited by lowdown

I did a 23 day Caribbean cruise as a session with a band a few years ago. We got a briefing by the entertainments manager on board and she gave us the practical view of the rules and regs. We were not permitted to be intoxicated on duty or at any time above deck. We were defined as a guest band so we were free to use all public areas but this may not be the same for your situation.
I did the gig for the experience but its not something I'd want to do regularly.

Jazzyvee