Why become a member? ×

5 string sidewinder/EB-0/Dimarzio Model one style pick up, is there such a thing?

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hey guys[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I was wondering if any one knows if there's such thing as a 5 string version the Gibson Mudbucker/Dimarzio Model One/Will Power sidewinder pickups as used in the neck position on the EB-0 basses and Billy Sheehan's basses. Only reason is I've got a custom P-Bass with an extra reversed P pick up by the bridge and a Will Power in the neck (just like James LoMenzo has on his Yamaha custom shop bass and what he did to his Attitude LTDII bass) but I'm thinking of making a 5 string version of it to go with it but yeah, i need to get a pick up for the neck position like the Dimarzio Will Powers.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Does anyone know of a pick up that would fit that requirement?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thanks[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]B-B[/font][/color]

None that I know of although Curtis Novak makes a replacement Mudbucker and he might be able to modify his bobbins and metalwork to stretch his version into a 5. You'll probably have to re-mortgage your house for it though :P[size=4] The other option would be to fit a soapbar or MM5 in the neck position - it'll give you a close enough sound to the Model 1 or if you prefer the big, woolly sound of the original Mudbucker, you could ask a company like Nordstrand to massively overwind one of their MM5's.[/size]

Hmm, thanks for that advise Henry, that's interesting about Curtis Novak, I might enquire to him to see if he'd make one but if it's too expensive I won't bother going ahead with it.

I'm half tempted to go for the MM5 pick up but stick some sort of capacitor on it to take out all the high end. I might even try a 7 string guitar pick up with dual blades on it or something like that for the extended range and again, run it through a capacitor.

Thanks again for the help
B-B

No worries. The thing about the Model 1 is it's a very different pickup to the original mudbucker - much lower impedence and clearer, like a normal humbucker, whereas the mudbucker is massively overwound so if you're going for a model 1 sound, you probably won't need a cap, the position at the neck will probably be enough.

• 5 years later...

1. find/cut some 6mmx10mmx65mm steel, round ends to half round, slightly file top to a curve, lightly prime and paint. Hey - new pole blade.

2. Remove pickup, remove pole piece screws (won't be used again), and back off the 2 screws coming up from underneath, just enough to release the uppermost plate which the original pole pieces passed into, and these 2 screws are tapped into. Note the screws come through the pole piece plate a few turns... this will catch the new pole blade.

3. Remove the top pole piece plate, use this as a template to drill and tap 2x 3mm holes in the pole blade.

4. Using angle grinder/dremel/files slot pickup cover to match. It is chromed brass, so it's easy to fashion. Just use the original holes as a guide, extending them to a half round ended slot to the total of 65mm (or as needed to suit pole blade)

5. Reassemble, using the 2 pickup screws coming up from underneath to match the holes you tapped in the blade.

6. Reassemble to bass and test height. You may need to adjust pole blade height by filing thinner. This worked a treat on a Chinese bass I bought - 5 string with 2x artec mudbuckers w/4 pole pieces. Clear tone, and quite useable. And a damn sight cheaper than the alternatives....