Why become a member? ×

Possibly the best punk basslines ever?

jmchich

This argument seems to come up every time there's a punk thread.

There seems to be two ways you can define 'punk': only music coming from the original 70s punk scene (which was very diverse, incidentally - Sex Pistols and the Damned, but also including the Stranglers, Buzzcocks, Siouxie & the Banshees, Bauhaus, etc - some of them could actually play) vs all what has retrospectively been labelled punk music (you know the sound I mean).

Either definition's fine by me, but I think it's worth bearing in mind that the second definition is more usual these days and people will immediately get what you mean if you describe the Cockney Rejects as a punk band. To call them an Oi band IMHO is tiresomely pedantic. YMMV :)

[quote name='Prunesquallor' timestamp='1373629390' post='2139841']
This argument seems to come up every time there's a punk thread.

There seems to be two ways you can define 'punk': only music coming from the original 70s punk scene (which was very diverse, incidentally - Sex Pistols and the Damned, but also including the Stranglers, Buzzcocks, Siouxie & the Banshees, Bauhaus, etc - some of them could actually play) vs all what has retrospectively been labelled punk music (you know the sound I mean).

Either definition's fine by me, but I think it's worth bearing in mind that the second definition is more usual these days and people will immediately get what you mean if you describe the Cockney Rejects as a punk band. To call them an Oi band IMHO is tiresomely pedantic. YMMV :)
[/quote]

Indeed. When people ask me if I like punk I pedantically reply the I like it if it's mainly UK based 1976-80'ish and as long as it doesn't involve mohicans and studded leather jackets. I don't much care for other music carrying the 'punk' description.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1373631426' post='2139876']
Indeed. When people ask me if I like punk I pedantically reply the I like it if it's mainly UK based 1976-80'ish and as long as it doesn't involve mohicans and studded leather jackets. I don't much care for other music carrying the 'punk' description.
[/quote]

*Takes off his studded jacket and puts on a hat* Nothing to see here, lads.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asO8FeGAmrk&list=PLEBCA72F83EA20793[/media]

This album had some pretty bad-ass punk basslines. Couple of cool little bits in this song.

I apologise for the profanity in the song title, but youtube seem cool with it. this is a punk thread after all!

Back when I used to listen to them I called them a punk band, but what do i know!

Edited by cameltoe

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1373709302' post='2140768']
NOFX are the (IMO) definitive modern punk band, despite going since the early 80s.

They just do exactly what they want, when they want.
[/quote]

And they don't sell butter! :P

This whole punk debate isn't very punk isn't it, trying to categorize everything and put it in it's place with nice tidy label.
I love most of the bands mentioned already, old and new, and don't care what it's called, but it will all be put under the 'punk' tag by most and I don't care.
I love Gallows first album and wether someone considers it punk or not won't change my opinion of Gallows, just of the pedantic twat trying, and failing, to make everyone agree with him.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1373714142' post='2140853']
This whole punk debate isn't very punk isn't it, trying to categorize everything and put it in it's place with nice tidy label.
I love most of the bands mentioned already, old and new, and don't care what it's called, but it will all be put under the 'punk' tag by most and I don't care.
I love Gallows first album and wether someone considers it punk or not won't change my opinion of Gallows, just of the pedantic twat trying, and failing, to make everyone agree with him.
[/quote]

Amen to that. If you like it, it doesn't matter too much what genre it's in. Only thing it's useful for is to find other similar bands. For example, when I started listening to Stoner/Doom/Sludge metal I only knew a few bands, and knowing what the genres were called helped me find other bands.

[quote name='jmchich' timestamp='1373734488' post='2141117']

Amen to that. If you like it, it doesn't matter too much what genre it's in. Only thing it's useful for is to find other similar bands. For example, when I started listening to Stoner/Doom/Sludge metal I only knew a few bands, and knowing what the genres were called helped me find other bands.
[/quote]

As an aside, if you're a doom fan and don't already, I can heartily recommend following "DOOM And All It's Sub-genres" on Facebook, a bloke who puts up a load of YouTube links to doom songs every night, I've discovered a few bands I really like from there.

I dont care if its `punk` or not but I know that myself and a lot of `punks` like/liked the following bassists irrespective of `genre`;

Klaus Flouride - Dead Kennedys (my personal favourite)
The Damned`s bassists over the years
New Model Army`s bassists over the years
JJ Burnel
Bruce Foxton
Glen Matlock
Lemmy

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1373493893' post='2138371']
2 pages in and no mention of JJ yet. Hmmmmm.

[/quote]

Point of order though. The Stranglers were never punks, although they say they don't object to being called punk, they insist that they are not.

Their music is too complex and diverse to be referred to as punk.

Having said that, if you ARE going to include them, then you can't beat Peaches.

As a little bit of Stranglers education, here's the lesser known Peaches 2004 (from the MKIII Stranglers with Roberts and Warne) - which was the B-Side of the single Big Thing Coming. The video is terrible, the track is interesting.

http://youtu.be/cDu6EhYj1YU

Ah I used to love Subhumans when I was a nipper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY-Eckb4CBA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMT-19HDt6I

That's reminded me I don't have any of their stuff any more. I'll get Day The Country Died on mp3 off Amazon when I'm at work tomorrow, I used to bloody love that album, should make the day chug by quite quickly. :)

Lots of good players already mentioned. Klaus Flouride was great, overshadowed somewhat by the ridiculously cool surf/punk guitar sound of East Bay Ray though.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1373925865' post='2143370']
Ah I used to love Subhumans when I was a nipper.

That's reminded me I don't have any of their stuff any more. I'll get Day The Country Died on mp3 off Amazon when I'm at work tomorrow, I used to bloody love that album, should make the day chug by quite quickly. :)

[/quote]

Get the remastered version straight from Dick Lucas via the Citizen Fish/Subhumans website, you know it makes sense ;-)

[quote name='doomed' timestamp='1373926890' post='2143389']
Get the remastered version straight from Dick Lucas via the Citizen Fish/Subhumans website, you know it makes sense ;-)
[/quote]

Presumably I will pay no more than £2.50? :D

I will definitely do that, thanks for letting me know.

Edited by thisnameistaken

Paul Gray's bass lines are very nice!
[url="http://youtu.be/UERJkHiUddA"]http://youtu.be/UERJkHiUddA[/url]
and it played 33 years later by the man himself.
[url="http://youtu.be/3h-Y0cjPJr0"]http://youtu.be/3h-Y0cjPJr0[/url]