Why become a member? ×

TKS Engineering cabs - new to the UK

wateroftyne

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1447248208' post='2906079']
A Fusion 550! You don't see many of those about. How is it working out for you?
[/quote]

I love the Fusion 550. I've only had it a couple of weeks but the tone is fantastic through my Barefaced Compact and my new TKS. It's not without issues - the footswitch is not working correctly, and the power switch is jammed on, but the tone really is exceptional.

I've used the TKS for one rehearsal - first impressions - it's beautifully made, sounds great and is very powerful. But after getting used to the easy one-handed lift of the Compact, I'm finding it a bit cumbersome/heavy. Guess I just need to man up!

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1447334611' post='2906786']
Yes, but I should imagine Bass Gear have a phone number direct to him with no waiting.
[/quote]

What, an international phone call for a prospective technical enquiry? No thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I've today ordered a 1126 from Bassgear with the aim of using it as a single cab solution for the majority of gigs. Anyone have any thoughts on whether my Markbass TTE 500 will have enough power at 8ohms for me to achieve this with a band with keyboards?
I'm wondering if upgrading to a TTE 801 would be advisable.
Also I'm thinking that another 1126 would be overkill for what I need so would pairing it with a S112 be feasible?

Any thoughts from owners?

Ive not used the 1126, so couldnt comment on that. Could only imagine it being louder than what i use though.
I have 2 X S112s.
I play in a 6 piece function style band. So a fair bit of volume, although not excessive.
I have a 500W Class D amp, and only ever need to use one cab.
With two, you do get that feeling of "if i want to, i will blow you all out of the water" though, which is always nice :D
I think the 1126 on its own will be fine, but i suppose it depends how light you play etc

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1448899990' post='2918996']
I've today ordered a 1126 from Bassgear with the aim of using it as a single cab solution for the majority of gigs. Anyone have any thoughts on whether my Markbass TTE 500 will have enough power at 8ohms for me to achieve this with a band with keyboards?
I'm wondering if upgrading to a TTE 801 would be advisable.
Also I'm thinking that another 1126 would be overkill for what I need so would pairing it with a S112 be feasible?

Any thoughts from owners?
[/quote]

I have a pair of 1126, one with tweeter (which I could do without, it really isn't needed as without it it already has enough top for my liking and some more).

It depends what gigs you play. One cab is certainly enough for stage monitoring in the indoors gigs I play. If you play a medium size bar with no PA support etc and the band is not terribly loud it'll also work well if the amp is powerful enough, and the TTE500 should certainly work fine. A second cab would cover pretty much any situation where you don't have PA support. I often use two even if one would do because they're small enough to fit in my boot, and portable enough, and it just 'feels' better even if pure volume is not an issue. Plus stacking one speaker over the other gives better sound and I can hear it better without sounding too loud.

So... I think you can do with just one pretty well, but two are very nice ;)

I like the 1126 a lot, as I prefer the more natural upper mids the 6" driver produces over tweeters. That said, I ended up buying a pair of S112s (without tweeters), as I thought two 1126s would be overkill and the size and price of the S112s is pretty compelling. I've not regretted the decision as the pair pump out [i]plenty[/i] of volume :)

I tried the S112's and although I liked them there were a few reasons that I went for the 1126. As a single cab, I thought that the S112 might not have enough bottom end for my needs. Likewise, when used as a pair, they had a (albeit nice) bark which might not suit my playing style for all genres.
I've seen people have paired the H115 with the 1126 but just wondered if an S112 with a 1126 might tame the bark for my bigger gigs.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1449745957' post='2926399']
I heard JT Crossfires pair of S112s at the weekend with a Demeter head. No PA support and the sound absolutely filled the room. Bloody amazing sound. Looks like I'll order a pair early in the new year, although I still want to try the H115
[/quote]

I'm still loving mine. Lost count of how many gigs it has been, over 100, and I wouldn't swap them for any other 1x12s. I use a Tone Hammer, but they sound great with most amps. Would love to try one if those Demeters. I used the power amp once and that was pretty special, especially for such a little box.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1449758135' post='2926561']
I'm still loving mine. Lost count of how many gigs it has been, over 100, and I wouldn't swap them for any other 1x12s. I use a Tone Hammer, but they sound great with most amps. Would love to try one if those Demeters. I used the power amp once and that was pretty special, especially for such a little box.
[/quote]

yes I spent the day at bass gear with JT and we did a lot of testing using a tone hammer and ampeg pf-500. At the time I wasn't really playing a lot of bass guitar but now I am, as I've replaced our dearly departed bass player who passed away last month.
I think I may need to order white tolex cabs, but with a red front and an oxblood grill cloth, to match my green bass strings!!

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1449759103' post='2926571']
yes I spent the day at bass gear with JT and we did a lot of testing using a tone hammer and ampeg pf-500. At the time I wasn't really playing a lot of bass guitar but now I am, as I've replaced our dearly departed bass player who passed away last month.
I think I may need to order white tolex cabs, but with a red front and an oxblood grill cloth, to match my green bass strings!!
[/quote]

:lol: definitely... I may well consider changing the fronts...as wish I'd been more adventurous colour-wise.
I changed amps so I'd choose completely differently now..

I'm off to their site to see what I can come up with

• 1 month later...

Did my first proper gig with my new TKS S212 last night. The sound was just right - warm, clear, punchy. I've also changed amps (GK MB Fusion to Fusion 550) so I can't ascribe the change to one thing or the other yet, but I'm very happy with the result.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1453466680' post='2959736']
EBS_freak has posted this pic of the new Darkglass cabs over on the new Darkglass amp thread.

I'm wondering if TKS have branched out.. what do you think?

[/quote]

Love the look and especialy the fact that they can be stacked on their side without having the logo looking weird ;)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1453466680' post='2959736']
EBS_freak has posted this pic of the new Darkglass cabs over on the new Darkglass amp thread.

I'm wondering if TKS have branched out.. what do you think?

[/quote]

Well, he is an excellent cab maker...

It does make sense, from the point of view that Doug likes locally produced. I also seem to remember Tommy telling me he had found the speaker cloth, similar to what is on my TKS W2126s, from a different supplier for a different customer. But, I can't remember if I saw a speaker with that on his FB page. (Maybe I am remembering that wrong.) The fact that Doug has a Mesa Carbine, and Mayones bass in the workshop is a hint we have similar taste. ;)

My cabs.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/hL2TTa][/url]

Edited by bjelkeman

[quote name='bjelkeman' timestamp='1453491202' post='2960065']
It does make sense, from the point of view that Doug likes locally produced. I also seem to remember Tommy telling me he had found the speaker cloth, similar to what is on my TKS W2126s, from a different supplier for a different customer. But, I can't remember if I saw a speaker with that on his FB page. (Maybe I am remembering that wrong.) The fact that Doug has a Mesa Carbine, and Mayones bass in the workshop is a hint we have similar taste. ;)

My cabs.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/hL2TTa][/url]
[/quote]

Lovely rig, squire.

Thanks Wolverinebass!

Doug from Darkglass said the Darglass cabs so far are 210 and 410s. I know Tommy has been testing 10s, but he wasn't convinced I think. But the Doug said somewhere (FB, Talkbass, can't remember) that they where quite heavy cabinets. I can't imagine Tommy building a heavy cabinet. So my guess it isn't a TKS Darkglass collaboration. However much I think it would be cool.