Why become a member? ×

TKS Engineering cabs - new to the UK

wateroftyne

*Mod Mode*

There have been a couple of posts which might, just might, have come across as possible sale adverts. Please just remember that anything that looks like a sale ad outside of the 'official' channels will magically float off into the ether, never to be seen again ;)

Carry on :D

* End of Mod Mode*

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1444982119' post='2887765']
Out of curiosity, has anyone had a peek inside their S112 to see what driver they're using? I'm curious to see if Stevie's guess elsewhere on the forum is correct!
[/quote]

Eminence, I believe. Not sure of the specifics.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1444982758' post='2887776']
[/quote]

The specs listed on the TKS website match those for the Beta 12A, but I can't say for sure without seeing inside the box. For anyone who has looked or would like to check, there are a couple of detailed photos of the Eminence driver in my For Sale thread (be warned!) here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/271289-12-bass-guitar-drivers-eminence-and-das//."]http://basschat.co.u...ence-and-das//.[/url]

The Beta is a fairly lightweight driver - so it would make sense.

Edited by stevie

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1444982758' post='2887776']
[/quote]

Yes, the quoted specs for the cab match the Beta 12 quite closely so I'd be interested to find out whether it's the stock Beta 12 or a tweaked OEM version. It's a respectable driver, a little less capable than some of the state-of-the-art stuff though that would make sense if they're going for the particular sort of colouration it has which lots of bassists like.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

I would hope it's the stock driver. Lots of manufacturers make minor changes to a stock driver so that they can claim to have a custom design. The problem is, when you need to replace a driver - or several - said manufacturers can *and do* hold you to ransom. It would be a point in TKS' favour IMO if they are using stock drivers (which I think they are doing).

Edited by stevie

As far as I know, the rating is 250 in that enclosure.... but they can put out a lot of sound.
I push my 2x112 hard with a 800w amp... and I'm very conscious of break-up...
but the sound is full and clean.
The point Stevie makes is VERY pertinent. Try getting PAS drivers which were in SWR.
I couldn't get any 12-15 years ago when SWR were still a going concern and NO BODY here could recone.
Kits are supposedly available in the U.S.. or were, but for multiple chassis cabs, you might want to
rethink that bespoke idea.
For a 210... break one and you have potentially a LOT of hassle... for a 610... the cab is pretty much a write-off.
So.... a good honest driver, off the shelf is GOOD, IMO.

Edited by JTUK

Has anybody actually done a good number of gigs with an S212?

I currently use 2 x Berg AE112S.
It's a bit pricy to go the 2 x TKS S112's route, so I'm thinking of one S212.

Reason? Well, you can get them vintage looking, fawn, oxblood, pale blue. I've had 40 years of black boxes! Yes, I know that statement is pathetic!

If the chap with the Barefaced S12 lived 100 miles away rather than 180 I would have offered him a trade and got the black steel front of the B/F powder coated.
Anything to break the blackness :blush: :D

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1444997562' post='2887998']
It eclipses the wonderful Bergs (of various configurations) that I ran for years beforehand.
[/quote]

As the current owner of two of those Berg cabs, all I can say is that the TKS cabs must be awesome! :gas:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1444998913' post='2888023']
As the current owner of two of those Berg cabs, all I can say is that the TKS cabs must be awesome! :gas:
[/quote]

They are. I'll never say a word against the Bergs - I'm a big fan - but the S212 has magic in the mids I've not really had from other cabs.

It's probably just a preference thing.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1444999039' post='2888025']
They are. I'll never say a word against the Bergs - I'm a big fan - but the S212 has magic in the mids I've not really had from other cabs.

[b]It's probably just a preference thing.[/b]
[/quote]

It may well be...but it really shouldn't be. :lol:
The character was what elevated it, IMO...above the others in the demo plus
it works with very different amps...i,e the TH/PF500 and a Demeter....they are quite worlds apart, IMO
as well as the stylistic things we had going on.

I don't use the 212, just the 2x112 version with a horn.

Very good points about using stock drivers...even cabs that are used carefully can have problems over time so its good to know a big supplier like Eminence can be used. I've put modern Eminence speakers into an old SWR Baby Blue (2x8") and it worked out very well, but I think I got lucky.

I now have a pair of TKS S112's. Early days but I'm very happy so far..and they work particularly well with the Aguilar TH500 and its warm voicing.

Thanks guys, I'm thinking the following in S212 configuration, with the PUMA 900 .
To be honest, I have had very few poor cabs.
It's just with new items, that leap of faith can be very costly.

[URL=http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/cc6_zps1uz0tur6.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/Karl_Altdorfer/cc6_zps1uz0tur6.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Sammers' timestamp='1398417487' post='2433828']
Here's a quick sneak peak of my pair of S112's that I received last week, I'll probably get a NCD thread up over the weekend to share my full experiences and i'll post a couple pictures of my own! :)

Here's the pic Tommy sent me before they shipped :D

[/quote]

Is the above styling not available anymore, are they all based on the v frame now? All look great but do like the above ever so slightly more ;-)

Edited by tonyclaret

• 4 weeks later...

Contacted Tommy a couple of times to ask about the cabs - got one reply saying "I'm a bit busy, I'll get back to you tomorrow." Nothing after that.

Didn't hear anything else, which is a shame. The good news is I'm enjoying the Bergs...

[quote name='tonyclaret' timestamp='1447217158' post='2905857']
Yeah, had the same via Facebook too. No response.
[/quote]

Tommy used to be fantastic at responding to email and via social media. Perhaps he's the victim of his own success and is now too busy making cabs to keep up with demand?!

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1447232005' post='2905888']
I have to agree.
Tommy was brilliant with me.
Hopefully he will get back to you soon.
It's worth the wait!
[/quote]

Nope, this was the 22nd of last month: I bought a pair of Bergs instead in the meantime...sale lost and ball dropped from his perspective, but I'm happy with the Bergs. :D

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1447242080' post='2905991']
Mine has just arrived...not posted photos for a while so let's hope this works... S212 without tweeter with Oxblood cloth.

[url="https://flic.kr/p/AmzTbP"][/url]
[/quote]

Beauty!

Sorry to hear Tommy's been non-responsive. That's unusual.