Why become a member? ×

TKS Engineering cabs - new to the UK

wateroftyne

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1428833255' post='2744918']
Yup - that's what brought me to their attention in the first place. It blows my mind how the ceramics are so light.
[/quote]

I'm thinking that Lloyd might be getting confused over our A/B'ing of the neo and ceramic Berg 112's? I'm sure his comment was about how great the TKS tone was while being so light and ceramic?

Lloyd, Barrie and I had a right old mess about with loads of gear down at Bass Gear yesterday. It was a fantastic day out for bass-anoraks like us and well worth while. Lloyd A/B'd the Berg neo and ceramic 112's with the Aggie 350 and 500 Tonehammer and the GK MB500 and 200 with his Overwater.

I'd taken down my EAD Foundation 212, Orange OB1 and Spector to try against anything Barrie might have. We spent the best part of the afternoon trying combinations of Orange, Aguilar, Jule, Demeter, Berg, TKS and EAD. I was extremely happy with the performance of my EAD. All I can say is I've always had an itch about a Berg 212 and I went home very chuffed with my EAD.

The biggest single surprise for me was the TKS gear. It's very very good. I'd go as far to say that the out of the 3 makes of cab we tested the TKS had the sweetest tone (about a fag paper between that and the EAD). The EAD had more low-end, but most of the time we were running the EAD against 112 boxes, so it's to be expected. If I was looking for the best one hand lift cab it would be the TKS 1126T, seriously game-over. Plus you get the option of tolex and cloth so you can look great while sounding better. The fit and finish of the TKS is premier league.

Had a lot of fun with amps too. Again no one could believe the GKMB200 can make such a great tone and volume and be not much bigger than a paperback. I was very impressed with the Orange OB1, especially when the sweet-spot is found on the one the gain/blend. Lloyd was sounding impressive through the GKMB500 which beat-over the Aggie Tonehammer 500 in teams of breadth and clarity. For my kind of stuff I'd put the Orange and TH500 on level pegging, but the revelation was (IMHO) the TH350 has a slightly sweeter tone over the 500.

Then we went completely off the map.

Jule Monique pre-amp with Demeter Minnie 800 power amp. Oh, yes! Clarity, thump, drive, low, mid and top. The whole 9 yards, just like ringing a bell! All of the other amps are great, but the Jule is another level. We also hooked the Jule up to the power section of the TH500 and it was monumental!

So after trying out nearly all Barrie's cabs and amps I went home extremely happy with the gear that I took. The eye on the horizon is looking for a Jule Monique to work some magic to pair with my Burman 100 power pack. Something a bit sooner could be one of the very nice leather Harvest gig-bags (you'd want one on the smell alone!)

And my recommendation for best bit of kit for the day.. The TKS 1126T. Outstanding.

Thanks Barrie! :)

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1428836292' post='2744971']
And my recommendation for best bit of kit for the day.. The TKS 1126T. Outstanding.

Thanks Barrie! :)
[/quote]

Whilst I haven't tested the competition as extensively... all I can say is the TKS 1126 is really good. I have two, a T and a "sans T" version. I'm very happy with them: weight, portability, sound...

I also thank Barrie for all his help while I was considering the various options. :)

Hehe, Billie Apple might be right, it doesn't take much to confuse me. I thought the first TKS cabs we plugged the Orange into were Neo and the second ones were Ceramic, the first ones had a vintage 60s style front with cloth over the grill. I remember saying to Barrie I couldn't believe they were neos as they sounded very full. Sadly I left before the Jule Monique came out (probably best for my bank balance). It looked like a work of art.

Massively impressed with the whole TKS range though as I'd heard so little about them before hearing them.

[quote name='LLOYDWT' timestamp='1428845752' post='2745147']
Hehe, Billie Apple might be right, it doesn't take much to confuse me. I thought the first TKS cabs we plugged the Orange into were Neo and the second ones were Ceramic, the first ones had a vintage 60s style front with cloth over the grill. I remember saying to Barrie I couldn't believe they were neos as they sounded very full. Sadly I left before the Jule Monique came out (probably best for my bank balance). It looked like a work of art.

Massively impressed with the whole TKS range though as I'd heard so little about them before hearing them.
[/quote]

[size=4]You weren't confused at all Lloyd :)[/size]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[size=4]The S112 uses ceramic magnet 12s while the 1126/2126 have neodymium magnets. The ones with the grille cloth we set up first were the neo-equipped 1126's. The snakeskin 12's and the white 2x12 + 6 were the ceramic ones.[/size]
[/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[size=4]The reason for the S series being lighter is that the neodymium magnet speakers used in 1126/2126 have a design that requires a larger magnetic force on the voice coil, Tommy uses neodymium in them to keep the weight down, but they still get heavier than the S version. It would be hard to make a ceramic speaker with the same capability, and even if it was possible it would make a ceramic version of the 2126 weigh maybe 40 kg or more.[/size][/size][/font]

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1428852410' post='2745253']
You weren't confused at all Lloyd :)

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][size=4]The S112 uses ceramic magnet 12s while the 1126/2126 have neodymium magnets. The ones with the grille cloth we set up first were the neo-equipped 1126's. The snakeskin 12's and the white 2x12 + 6 were the ceramic ones.[/size][/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][size=4]The reason for the S series being lighter is that the neodymium magnet speakers used in 1126/2126 have a design that requires a larger magnetic force on the voice coil, Tommy uses neodymium in them to keep the weight down, but they still get heavier than the S version. It would be hard to make a ceramic speaker with the same capability, and even if it was possible it would make a ceramic version of the 2126 weigh maybe 40 kg or more.[/size][/size][/font]
[/quote]

Thanks for the confirmation Barrie. Just need to work out how to justify buying one now :-P

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1428852410' post='2745253']

[size=4]You weren't confused at all Lloyd :)[/size]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[size=4]The S112 uses ceramic magnet 12s while the 1126/2126 have neodymium magnets. The ones with the grille cloth we set up first were the neo-equipped 1126's. The snakeskin 12's and the white 2x12 + 6 were the ceramic ones.[/size]
[/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[size=4]The reason for the S series being lighter is that the neodymium magnet speakers used in 1126/2126 have a design that requires a larger magnetic force on the voice coil, Tommy uses neodymium in them to keep the weight down, but they still get heavier than the S version. It would be hard to make a ceramic speaker with the same capability, and even if it was possible it would make a ceramic version of the 2126 weigh maybe 40 kg or more.[/size][/size][/font]
[/quote]

Very enlightening. Cheers, Barrie!

[quote name='sshorepunk' timestamp='1429129552' post='2748415']

A pair of oxblood db112 would be nice!
[/quote]

Tommy has a load of new vinyl and grille cloth options. Lots of the vinyl are now 'stock' colours and not special orders so this means they are relatively small up-charges and availability is faster.

Really looking forward to the pair of dark blue vinyl with beige/brown cloth cabs that have just been ordered :)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Took a trip down to Bass Gear yesterday expecting to buy a pair of Begantino cn112s but after trying several different speakers I ended up ordering two TKS S112s. They have a warmth that the Bergantinos lack. Just have to wait for them to arrive now.

Edited by spike

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='spike' timestamp='1443352431' post='2874000']
Took a trip down to Bass Gear yesterday expecting to buy a pair of Begantino cn112s but after trying several different speakers I ended up ordering two TKS S112s. They have a warmth that the Bergantinos lack. Just have to wait for them to arrive now.
[/quote]

What amps were used to test?
Cheers

[quote name='Sammers' timestamp='1398417487' post='2433828']
Here's a quick sneak peak of my pair of S112's that I received last week, I'll probably get a NCD thread up over the weekend to share my full experiences and i'll post a couple pictures of my own! :)

Here's the pic Tommy sent me before they shipped :D

[/quote]

Heaven sent! I need these.

Not sure if I could survive on just the one cab, although I get by with one Berg CN112 now.

Edited by tonyclaret

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1444402878' post='2883004']
Succumbed. S212 ordered. Black with oxblood cloth.
[/quote]

I'm getting VERY close.
Black S212 with Fawn (Fender Tweedish colour) frame and Oxblood cloth

I'm also struggling to avoid that stunning 64RI Barrie has in.
If my Shuker goes quickly enough..................

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1444680758' post='2885092']

I'm getting VERY close.

[/quote]

Oh good, that means there'll be a 2nd hand one neat me for sale in about 6 months! ;)

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1444680758' post='2885092']

I'm getting VERY close.

[/quote]

Oh good, that means there'll be a 2nd hand one near me for sale in about 6 months! ;)

Edited by colleya