Why become a member? ×

TKS Engineering cabs - new to the UK

wateroftyne

I'm currently looking to get an orange ad200b all valve beast and when I tried it in the shop with their orange obc115 400w 1x15 bass cab it sounded awesome, it has an eminence kappa speaker in it (I believe) and I'm wondering whether a TKS cab (and which one) would be able to kick the same amount of huge richness and fat bottom end while retaining the surprisingly balanced sound and sparkly top end (and be a lump lighter)?
I was very pleasantly surprised at how sensitive the orange cab was and at how good the slap sound was through it! Proper chuffin heavy though!!

I had one of the Eminence Kappa 15A in a cab, which I think is the same driver as the Orange uses. I wonder if you may have trouble finding a modern neo-driver cab with the same response, as the Kappa 15 is quite coloured sounding. It has a massive peak just below 2KHz then rolls off steeply above that, which makes it quite bright and aggressive sounding but in an old-fashioned lo-fi manner IMO.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1388585945' post='2323660']
I had one of the Eminence Kappa 15A in a cab, which I think is the same driver as the Orange uses. I wonder if you may have trouble finding a modern neo-driver cab with the same response, as the Kappa 15 is quite coloured sounding. It has a massive peak just below 2KHz then rolls off steeply above that, which makes it quite bright and aggressive sounding but in an old-fashioned lo-fi manner IMO.
[/quote]

Eminence Basslite C2515, has a very similarly horrendous response to the Kappa 15A! http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Basslite_C2515.pdf

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1388580519' post='2323553']
I'm currently looking to get an orange ad200b all valve beast and when I tried it in the shop with their orange obc115 400w 1x15 bass cab it sounded awesome, it has an eminence kappa speaker in it (I believe) and I'm wondering whether a TKS cab (and which one) would be able to kick the same amount of huge richness and fat bottom end while retaining the surprisingly balanced sound and sparkly top end (and be a lump lighter)?
I was very pleasantly surprised at how sensitive the orange cab was and at how good the slap sound was through it! Proper chuffin heavy though!!
[/quote]
I got a friend who is selling his orange coloured TKS 215 cab (out of production) due to the size and effectivity. He complains: "It is impossible to get the amp to break up at volumes you survive using that cab..."
The TKS stuff is very efficient and the ratings on the web page are honest. My 2126 cabs are not that efficient, which is stated in the web page, but they go way deep. They are more like studio monitors.

In the present range of speakers I'd say the best matches to an Orange valve amp would be either the W212 or W2126 cab. Check the web page: www.tks.se
You can get it in "Orange orange" and with the grille of choice...

Edited by bassmayhem

[quote name='bassmayhem' timestamp='1388605273' post='2323980']
I got a friend who is selling his orange coloured TKS 215 cab (out of production) due to the size and effectivity. He complains: "It is impossible to get the amp to break up at volumes you survive using that cab..."
The TKS stuff is very efficient and the ratings on the web page are honest. My 2126 cabs are not that efficient, which is stated in the web page, but they go way deep. They are more like studio monitors.

In the present range of speakers I'd say the best matches to an Orange valve amp would be either the W212 or W2126 cab. Check the web page: www.tks.se
You can get it in "Orange orange" and with the grille of choice...

[/quote]

cheers for that matey, the specs on that cab are basically very similar to my EAD Foundation 212 which suggests it will pair pretty well with that in the first instance (and which I'll be trying on Monday evening), what I was after was more of a vintagey sound (like that given when using it with a 1x15 like the orange OBC115)?

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1388580519' post='2323553']
[/quote]

I've heard many people praise the OBC115's sound. I have also heard people comment on its possible negatives, but these are technical negatives (which no doubt most cabs have).

I have owned this cab for a fair few years now, and I still really enjoy the tone I get from it. It is exactly as you noted above. It's a warm, focused tone, with plenty of actual 'bass' but not overbearing. It is also quite musical and does have a suprising amount of detail in the top end.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1388663372' post='2324439']
I've heard many people praise the OBC115's sound. I have also heard people comment on its possible negatives, but these are technical negatives (which no doubt most cabs have).

I have owned this cab for a fair few years now, and I still really enjoy the tone I get from it. It is exactly as you noted above. It's a warm, focused tone, with plenty of actual 'bass' but not overbearing. It is also quite musical and does have a suprising amount of detail in the top end.
[/quote]

Thanks matey, I reckon it's the one I need to go for then. ;)

I finally got around to using the 115 in anger last night.

I've avoided it so far because my 2x112's sound so good, it was hard motivating myself to try anything else. But, I had a full car last night so space was tight. I had no PA support, and the venue was a large, busy pub, so I know I needed something more than a single 12 could put out. The 115 takes less room than both the 12's, so into the boot it went.

I was a bit nervy, 'cos the Walkabout only puts out around 175w into 8ohm, but I had no problems whatsoever. The 15 seems to be very efficient, and it began to roar as soon as I hit the 'bite' point on the output gain knob.

Immediately bigger lows than the 12's, but still very tight. I dialled a little bit of horn in - not much 'cos I don't really like 'em - and all the notes were clear, supportive and distinct in a P-with-flats kind of way. It responded with a growl when I dug in.

I was actually amazed - I had a wander out front during the soundcheck and it carried very well. We're not a loud band, but I get the feeling it would have kept on giving. Tommy says this cab will pretty much handle whatever's put into it.

It's obviously far louder and bigger-sounding than a single 12. I could quite happily use this as my main cab had I not already discovered the - IMO - tonal nirvana of a pair of tweeterless TKS 12's. The horn on the 15 is a roundwound thing, and I imagine it punches and rings with clarity.

It goes without saying that it's light, and can be carried short distances with one hand. The handles are perfectly placed for a two-hand lift.

In fact, I'm now considering getting one of these for situations like this, where space is fairly tight and I need a big sound. We'll see...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1388830896' post='2326470']In fact, I'm now considering getting one of these....[/quote]

Interesting! I was really impressed with the H115 too.... I wonder if we could get a better deal on the shipping if we ordered two cabs at the same time? ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Used the H115 last night and was really impressed. One hand carry. I used a GK MB Fusion 500 with it. Big sound but focussed. Tight, smooth lows, assertive mids and you can slap it! Very sensitive to eq changes and loud. Last night was a dep gig and it handled a quieter first half with fretless (my Ibanez GWB35 - sounded really warm and drew compliments from the band) and a louder second (with me whacking a Spector 5) easily with no hint of complaint. My regular gigs are blues rock and funk and I think this cab will cover all bases.

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1390918440' post='2351259']
Right then boys & girls, I'm struggling to find a s/h Orange OBC115 so...how many English pounds is one of these H115 cabs and can I get to try one with my AD200B to see if it does what I'm after?
[/quote]

There are some trial TKS cabs floating around, send WOT a pm.
Cheers
Thebassman

[quote name='thebassman' timestamp='1390931688' post='2351474']
There are some trial TKS cabs floating around, send WOT a pm.[/quote]

If the trial H115 was for sale I would snap it up in an instant! Great cab B)

Bought new, from Sweden, they seem to be around £500 - but that won't include shipping, which could be another £70 or so.

Still competitive with a Compact though.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1391207969' post='2354698']
Hmmm, if someone has one of those trial cabs (or non-trial! ;)) near Edinburgh I'd love to try one.[/quote]

Drop a PM to Wateroftyne [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/56-wateroftyne/"]http://basschat.co.uk/user/56-wateroftyne/[/url]

In fact, I might be heading up to Edinburgh this weekend, so I could even drop it off for you! You'd need to be able to get it back to WoT though - assuming he even still has it... :)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1391528202' post='2358172']
Drop a PM to Wateroftyne [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/56-wateroftyne/"]http://basschat.co.u...56-wateroftyne/[/url]

In fact, I might be heading up to Edinburgh this weekend, so I could even drop it off for you! You'd need to be able to get it back to WoT though - assuming he even still has it... :)
[/quote]

Oh, that would be good!
I'm pretty flexible over this coming weekend, so I should be able to meet you whenever is more convenient, if you are able to bring the cab over. I don't have a decent gig to try it on until the 15th, but I could just use it at rehearsal and return it to WoT whenever is required. Happy to pay postage for the chance to try it, or I may even deliver in person as I could be travelling down to NC to check out a drum store with a friend soon...
:)
I'll PM WoT, thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's a quick sneak peak of my pair of S112's that I received last week, I'll probably get a NCD thread up over the weekend to share my full experiences and i'll post a couple pictures of my own! :)

Here's the pic Tommy sent me before they shipped :D