Why become a member? ×

TKS Engineering cabs - new to the UK

wateroftyne

Well, today the first of two TKS D2126 "Bass Mayhem Edition" arrived.

The next one arrives during next month, due to late order from my side. It will be exactly the same, no tweeters.
Black tolex on the box, crème on the front frame, Fender tweed era cloth over metal mesh. Nice, eh...?

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1380117870' post='2221053']
These cabs are seriously sexy!

anyideas which one would do the 'ampeg b-15' sound most easily when paired with an ashdown lb30 head?
[/quote]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Since the Li'l Bastard is kinda li'l, I'd [size=4]suggest[/size] a smaller cab to match it with, preferably the 112 with measures:[size=4] [color=#000000](WxHxD): ca 52x37x34 cm, and weight: ca 10 kg,[/color][/size][/font]
[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]or the D112, slightly larger with more low end[/font][/color][color=#000000]: [/color][color=#000000][font=verdana]measures (WxHxD): ca 52x42x44 cm, and weight[/font][/color][color=#000000][font=verdana]: ca 12 kg. Neither of them particularly expensive...[/font][/color]

[b]Edited 9/27-2013:[/b]
Here are some fresh updates from TKS Facebook. I mark some nice options for the LB in bold writing.
[color=#333333]([/color][color=#333333]Preliminary prices in SEK gives prices in £/GBP [b]slightly less than 1/10[/b] compared to the price in SEK.[/color][color=#333333]) [/color]
[color=#333333]Here's the list:[/color]

[color=#333333]Two way high performance cabinets (based on the current 1126 / D2126 cabinets):[/color]
[color=#333333]1126 - 8 ohm, 450W, 15 kg, 6200 SEK[/color]
[color=#333333]1156 - 8 ohm, 450W, 22 kg, 7000 SEK[/color]
[color=#333333]2126 - 4 ohm, 900W, 26 kg, 9200 SEK[/color]

[color=#333333]Standard cabinets, all cabinets except the 112 available both as 61 cm wide and the narrower/taller format (52x74x40 cm WxHxD). All based on the previous 112/212/2128 cabinets:[/color]
[color=#333333]S112 - 8 ohm, 250W, 10 kg, 2900 SEK[/color]
[color=#333333]S/W212 - 4 ohm, 500W, 20 kg, 4900 SEK[/color]
[color=#333333]S/W115 - 8 ohm, 450W, 17 kg, 5500 SEK[/color]
[color=#333333]S/W2126 - 4 ohm, 500W, 23 kg, 6400 SEK[/color]

[b][color=#333333]Extra light cabinets - neodymium magnet speakers, the L115/L212 are slightly smaller than the standard S212/S115. Aluminium grilles instead of steel, and different handles, all to keep the weight down.[/color]
[color=#333333]L112 - 8 ohm, 150W, 8 kg 3300 SEK[/color]
[color=#333333]L115 - 8 ohm, 300W, 13 kg, 4900 SEK[/color]
[color=#333333]L212 - 4 ohm, 300W, 14 kg, 5200 SEK[/color][/b]

[color=#333333]One way high performance cabinets - something in between the standard 112/212 cabinets and the 1126/2126 ones. High excursion, high power handling speakers, for bass players wanting to match a single 212/two 112 cabinets to a powerful amplifier, but not are in to the sound of the two way cabinets (1126/1156/2126).[/color]
[color=#333333]H112 - 8 ohm, 400W, 10 kg, 4500 SEK[/color]
[color=#333333]H212 - 4 ohm, 800W, 18 kg, 7200 SEK[/color]

Edited by bassmayhem

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1380117870' post='2221053']
These cabs are seriously sexy!

anyideas which one would do the 'ampeg b-15' sound most easily when paired with an ashdown lb30 head?
[/quote]

I haven't used the LB30, so I can only speak from my experience, but my Walkabout through my standard ceramic 112 gives me what I consider to be a great (edited to say[i] beautiful[/i]) Stax-y tone and feel.

The tweeterless top is biting without being sizzly, and the small box size gives it a real plummy low-mid roundness. The ceramic version is pretty sensitive too.

[quote name='bassmayhem' timestamp='1380118818' post='2221073']
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Since the Li'l Bastard is kinda li'l, I'd [size=4]suggest[/size] a smaller cab to match it with, preferably the 112 with measures:[size=4] [color=#000000](WxHxD): ca 52x37x34 cm, and weight: ca 10 kg,[/color][/size][/font]
[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]or the D112, slightly larger with more low end[/font][/color][color=#000000]: [/color][color=#000000][font=verdana]measures (WxHxD): ca 52x42x44 cm, and weight[/font][/color][color=#000000][font=verdana]: ca 12 kg. Neither of them particularly expensive...[/font][/color]
[/quote]

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1380119036' post='2221081']
I haven't used the LB30, so I can only speak from my experience, but my Walkabout through my standard ceramic 112 gives me what I consider to be a great (edited to say[i] beautiful[/i]) Stax-y tone and feel.
The tweeterless top is biting without being sizzly, and the small box size gives it a real plummy low-mid roundness. The ceramic version is pretty sensitive too.
[/quote]

Thanks guys, I reckon the s112 is definitely something worth adding to my gas list! I like the upright version of it that you have too w.o.t.! They seem especially reasonably priced too!!

[quote name='bassmayhem' timestamp='1380117602' post='2221050']
Well, today the first of two TKS D2126 "Bass Mayhem Edition" arrived.

The next one arrives during next month, due to late order from my side. It will be exactly the same, no tweeters.
Black tolex on the box, crème on the front frame, Fender tweed era cloth over metal mesh. Nice, eh...?
[/quote]

That is just not fair - absolutely gorgeous!
One day, hopefully soon, I'll be placing an order with Meester TKS, I'm absolutely smitten.

Eude

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Hi all,[/size][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Just thought that i would comment on this thread,[/size][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]i have just been road testing the TKS 1x15 with a tweeter (on test from the wateroftyne)[/size][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]first impressions are that its well made and solid for life on the road and secondly OMG how light is it!!![/size][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]i am using a Gallien Kruger RB700 amp and a RBH115 cab and this cab is far better than the RBH it gives a great smooth warm bottom end yet also allows the mids and tops frequencies to come alive.[/size][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]i have used it to play rock-soul and pop/disco and have not yet found it to be wanting.[/size][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]the rest of the band have also been greatly impressed by how the sound sits in the mix.[/size][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]defo 10 out of 10 so have ordered from TKS as i aint found better for price, build, sound and weight.[/size][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Very happy bunny!!![/size][/font]

[quote name='fenderbender' timestamp='1380546601' post='2226802']
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hi all,[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Just thought that i would comment on this thread,[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]i have just been road testing the TKS 1x15 with a tweeter (on test from the wateroftyne)[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]first impressions are that its well made and solid for life on the road and secondly OMG how light is it!!![/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]i am using a Gallien Kruger RB700 amp and a RBH115 cab and this cab is far better than the RBH it gives a great smooth warm bottom end yet also allows the mids and tops frequencies to come alive.[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]i have used it to play rock-soul and pop/disco and have not yet found it to be wanting.[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]the rest of the band have also been greatly impressed by how the sound sits in the mix.[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]defo 10 out of 10 so have ordered from TKS as i aint found better for price, build, sound and weight.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Very happy bunny!!![/font]
[/quote]

Awesome! What did you go for? Standard style?

In a week or so my D2126 number two will arrive...

They will look great in pair. Just imagine how big the sound when placed side by side and play some fretless with stereo chorus...
[color=#800080][size=6]MMMMMMMMMMMWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAH!!![/size][/color]

Here is the new TKS-cab among its new friends...

This setup sounds very good. Eden WP100 Navigator into a QSC PLX-3402 and then to the new TKS-cab, with the new model name 2126; without an initial letter. The 1100 Watts RMS at 4 ohms per side works well with the specification of the cab, giving each cab some real 1100 Watts of power to push a heavy load...

It is a bit annoying having two 2U SKB-rack of different models and then realize they are not stackable. Really stupid, SKB! That's why there is a cushion from a chair between the racks. Tommy will build me a matching 5U rack to accomodate the power amp, the preamp and a rack tuner. It will have the same visual appearance as the cabs, ie. black box and crème coloured lids. It should look ravishing...

Well, now just wait for the twin cab...

Edited by bassmayhem

Hmmm not helping. :lol:

I like the D126 but think I want 2...

and can't quite get my head around which colour...sometimes there can be too much choice.
Favour the white but can't pull the plug atm..as it is an expensive month,

I have way too many cabs as it is...so need to thin them out.

[quote name='bassmayhem' timestamp='1381160768' post='2235174']
Here is the new TKS-cab among its new friends...

This setup sounds very good. Eden WP100 Navigator into a QSC PLX-3402 and then to the new TKS-cab, with the new model name 2126; without an initial letter. The 1100 Watts RMS at 4 ohms per side works well with the specification of the cab, giving each cab some real 1100 Watts of power to push a heavy load...

It is a bit annoying having two 2U SKB-rack of different models and then realize they are not stackable. Really stupid, SKB! That's why there is a cushion from a chair between the racks. Tommy will build me a matching 5U rack to accomodate the power amp, the preamp and a rack tuner. It will have the same visual appearance as the cabs, ie. black box and crème coloured lids. It should look ravishing...

Well, now just wait for the twin cab...
[/quote]

Good pic... didn't think the new 1126 had a port down there..??? rear ported..??

Will check in on their FB page

Edit... ok, getting a better feel for the product range and spec now having caught up with latest pics

Edited by JTUK

Yes... saw that today and having seen more pics of the 1126, it is clear the idea I had in mind was from the 112.

Got to say, he has a good eye and that is another pretty cab.
I can see why they appear to be so well made with that attention to detail

Great to see that Tommy's cabs are making it outside Sweden as well!!!
I've had two 212 for years, I believe they are from his early production, and I've never tried a better cab. And I've tried lots of cabs!
What is so special about them is that you're able to hear yourself in a band situation better than with most other cabs. Many cabs sounds great alone but when you're playing together with others your sound gets drowned and you have to turn the volume up that often leads to a boomy sound and most of all, it's too loud to play together with the others. But these cabs really cuts through without getting harsh or boomy.
I don't know what kind of magic he puts in the cabs but they really are the best cabs I've had.
Really recommend you to check them out!