Why become a member? ×

TKS Engineering cabs - new to the UK

wateroftyne

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1379244022' post='2210139']
As Michael says, the 1126 is loud and kicks out stunning lows, in fact, it's the closest thing I've heard from a speaker that sounds like the Aguilar DI. The cab is bigger but as TKS have said that will add to the lows. This cab doesn't disappoint! I found I only needed to go to 11 o'clock on my head (AG500 SC, 250w 8ohms with this cab) and it was clean as. I don't doubt for moment that it could handle much, much higher volumes.
I have to admit, from the couple of barefaced cabinets I've tried, I'm fairly underwhelmed with them, the TKS kicks out a better low end with like for like amp settings. That's not to say barefaced aren't any good, not at all. But with my playing through them I prefer Markbass, Aguilar and TKS.

For those in the north east, I'll be dropping off the 1126 and 115 back with WoT tonight.

Dan
[/quote]

Oh I need to try these! I'm temporarily without a car so I should have gone to the bass bash.

Can't seem to find Dims very easily, but the 1126 seems about right for me.

Just need to get my head around weight, size and what the Ceramic option might be.

I'm guessing, but a cab roughly the size of a DB112, with ceramic drivers ..PLUS 6" and horn..??
that does in excess of 300w..??

Don't want to clutter up the FB page ( and the admin time ) on this stuff if someone has the info to hand.

My fave cab atm is the DB212 but I could do with a lighter version ... and smaller footprint, possibly for those
gigs that have difficult carry-ins..
If I didn't loose anything in sound, volume etc ... that would be a BONUS.

Then I can FB them about a shipping price and sell the Bergs and maybe a couple of others.
I have too many cabs ...they all do a job, but I need to thin out the herd.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1379240868' post='2210093']
My 12s growl in the mids like a bugger when I dig in, in a way I never got with the Bergs.

The 1126 seemed to have even more on tap, and as they're a bigger box (Aggie DB size) they'll go louder and lower too.

TKS also do a larger 12" without the 6", with an optional tweeter. I'd like to hear that.
[/quote]

Not got a problem with a larger cab that can use a 6" and a horn...
I don't use mini heads so something a rack can sit on sounds fine. 30-40lbs is fine as well.

[quote name='bassmayhem' timestamp='1379078894' post='2208457']
If you like the 1126, then the D2126 is pure heaven. I've ordered two of them with the same appearance as this one:

It will have the same black/crème vinyl, but the old brown cloth like on old Fender Tweeds, also two "TV screens" per cabinet front.
I post pic's when I get them delivered...
[/quote]

Oh Lordy, a 212 that looks like this :gas: :gas: :gas: :gas:
Barefaced for sale, mine!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1379245574' post='2210178']
Not got a problem with a larger cab that can use a 6" and a horn...
I don't use mini heads so something a rack can sit on sounds fine. 30-40lbs is fine as well.
[/quote]

All the cabs are available in vertical or horizontal configuration.. I went for vertical to make my Walkabout look less tiny. :-)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1379244663' post='2210152']
[/quote]

According to the website, the current 1126 is 52cm W x 42cm H x 44cm D. The new revision seems to be around that - I'll measure it tonight.

And, as Mr. Pietruszka mentioned, if anyone is around the Newcastle area and would like to try one out, let me know.

As long as you look after it, and I know where you are so I can hunt you down if you try and pinch it, that's fine.

Just need to get my head around weight, size and what the Ceramic option might be.

I'm guessing, but a cab roughly the size of a DB112, with ceramic drivers ..PLUS 6" and horn..??

[/quote]

The 1126 I borrowed is 450w, and in the real world are you going to NEED more than that? Really? I've never had a problem hearing my 400w Markbass and have been asked to turn down on the odd occasion! I really like the range TKS do, which is basically an options list!

The 1126 is so even across all notes. I don't think it had a horn, but it really doesn't need it!

Dan

I would also be lying if I said I wasn't swayed from competition by the aesthetics. For a lot of gigs I play that is probably more important to the punter than my sound :) Anyway, I am subscribed. Hopefully get to hear one soon. If not, I think I can ocnfidently take the 'risk' going on the videos and specs.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1379273567' post='2210736']
Thanks for the dimensions....

I may want to run one with a DB750... so if I need/want that power, then 2 would the requirement.
On some stages I do, I need to factor in a loud stage sound where the soundman 'forgets' to put
bass in the monitors.
[/quote]

Based on my experience with one of 'em, two of them would be MAHOOSIVE.

I've got rehearsals this week for a gig this weekend. I think I'll give the 1126 a run out.

Tommy's just posted this on the [url="http://www.facebook.com/pages/tks-Engineering"]TKS Facebook page[/url]. I hope he doesn't mind if I c&p it here....

[i]Many are wondering what the complete product range will be after the update, so here's a list with basic specifications and preliminary prices in SEK (prices in £/GBP is slightly less than 1/10 of the price in SEK, a S112 for 2900 SEK will be about £275). [/i]

[i]Prices are for standard cabinets: black vinyl, black metal grille (as pictured above) no tweeter.[/i]

[i]Optional extras are:[/i]
[i]Tweeter (with attenuator): 750 SEK. [/i]
[i]Grille cloth + vinyl frame: 500 SEK for small cabinets, 800 SEK for large cabinets.[/i]
[i]Custom vinyl (other colours/patterns than the standard black): 200-800 SEK depending on colour and cabinet size. [/i]

[i]Here's the list:[/i]

[i]Two way high performance cabinets (based on the current 1126 / D2126 cabinets):[/i]
[i]1126 - 8 ohm, 450W, 15 kg, 6200 SEK[/i]
[i]1156 - 8 ohm, 450W, 22 kg, 7000 SEK[/i]
[i]2126 - 4 ohm, 900W, 26 kg, 9200 SEK[/i]

[i]Standard cabinets, all cabinets except the 112 available both as 61 cm wide and the narrower/taller format (52x74x40 cm WxHxD). All based on the previous 112/212/2128 cabinets:[/i]
[i]S112 - 8 ohm, 250W, 10 kg, 2900 SEK[/i]
[i]S/W212 - 4 ohm, 500W, 20 kg, 4900 SEK[/i]
[i]S/W115 - 8 ohm, 450W, 17 kg, 5500 SEK[/i]
[i]S/W2126 - 4 ohm, 500W, 23 kg, 6400 SEK[/i]

[i]Extra light cabinets - neodymium magnet speakers, the L115/L212 are slightly smaller than the standard S212/S115. Aluminium grilles instead of steel, and different handles, all to keep the weight down.[/i]
[i]L112 - 8 ohm, 150W, 8 kg 3300 SEK[/i]
[i]L115 - 8 ohm, 300W, 13 kg, 4900 SEK[/i]
[i]L212 - 4 ohm, 300W, 14 kg, 5200 SEK[/i]

[i]One way high performance cabinets - something in between the standard 112/212 cabinets and the 1126/2126 ones. High excursion, high power handling speakers, for bass players wanting to match a single 212/two 112 cabinets to a powerful amplifier, but not are in to the sound of the two way cabinets (1126/1156/2126).[/i]
[i]H112 - 8 ohm, 400W, 10 kg, 4500 SEK[/i]
[i]H212 - 4 ohm, 800W, 18 kg, 7200 SEK[/i]

Mmm... lightweight ceramic 2x12"+6"...

Wow, that's lots of comments in a relatively short time. Let's try to answer all the questions asked since last time:

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1379081044' post='2208479']
Hello,

Is the power rating 250 watts for the 112? And for the 12/6? And is the power handling a conservative estimate or bang on?

Cheers, g
[/quote]

The standard 112 (the cabinets WoT has) is rated 250W. The updated 112 cabinets will be called S112. There will also be a L112 (extra light, 150W), and an H112 (high excursion 12"-speaker, 400W).

There's a short and a long answer to that question. The short one being: Power handling is conservative or very conservative for most cabinets, while some are slightly conservative/bang on depending on playing style. If a cabinet is rated 500W you can use a 500W amplifier and use all the 500 watts without the cabinet giving up.

The long answer:
Power rating is a measurement of how much signal the voice coils in the speakers can handle before damage might occur (when the temperature gets too high). This doesn't say how hard you can push an amplified bass guitar through the same speakers before they start sounding bad. More low end and higher volume means that the speakers have to move more air, and they do this by moving the speaker cones further. When pushed far enough, you will reach a limit when the speakers start distorting. This is not at all directly linked to the power rating, three different 12" speakers all rated 250W can have very different performance when pushed hard. Cabinet design also affects this.

The interesting question is instead: how powerful can your amplifier be without making the cabinet sound bad when pushing the amplifier hard? A speaker rated 500W that can't be pushed with more than 200W before distortiong has (in our view) insufficient excursion capability. For that reason, all speakers used can be pushed to the rated power and still sound good, some can be pushed even harder; sounding good with a 1500W amplifier even though being rated at 900W.

If you want to push a cabinet hard with lots of power and low frequencies: It all comes down to excursion capability/cone displacement, which is listed on the website together with all the other specifications.

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1379116455' post='2208972']
Give over, we all want quality products at decent prices. Seems like they are delivering. Y'know, in this country it's like, oooooooh it's raining, wish it would hurry up and be sunny. Then the sun comes out fir a fee weeks and everyone is like, oooooh, I wish it would rain. Budget not. Value for money yes. Kind you, the 12/6 is the one that would interest me but I can't afford it.
[/quote]

Since the cabinets are sold "factory direct", the price covers the cost of material/components/hardware and labour, no other middlemen are getting their share. This leads to very much value for money. Compare this to if manufacturing of cabinets were to be moved to Asia and sold through a normal chain of distributors:
*Price of components etc
*Asian factory getting their share
*"Manufacturer"/brand adding their percentage
*Shipping to distributor
*Distributor adding their percentage
*Shipping to store
*Store adding their percentage

In that case the part of the price which are actual components is much smaller, hence not nearly as much value for money. Factory direct gives the opportunity for better components as similarly priced gear.

[/quote]

For the 1126, there isn't really an option with ceramic magnet speakers. Performance near the 1126 without the use of neodymium magnets would result in a too heavy cabinet, and it still wouldn't match the 1126. The 1126 is rated at 450W and gladly handles more.

Also, don't be afraid of the neodymium magnet speakers ;) The tone of the 1126 isn't what people generally consider "neo" cabinets sounding like. There are some sound samples on the website, new ones coming up as soon as all the new/updated models are done:
[url="http://tks.se/tks.se/ljudklipp_spl.htm"]http://tks.se/tks.se/ljudklipp_spl.htm[/url]

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1379269994' post='2210662']
The 1126 I borrowed is 450w, and in the real world are you going to NEED more than that? Really? I've never had a problem hearing my 400w Markbass and have been asked to turn down on the odd occasion! I really like the range TKS do, which is basically an options list!

The 1126 is so even across all notes. I don't think it had a horn, but it really doesn't need it!

Dan
[/quote]

The one sent to the Bass Bash doesn't have the optional horn/tweeter, but it has much more top end than the standard 112/212 cabinets without tweeters. Measured directly in front of the speaker you get about one octave more of top end, but the real difference is when measured off-axis (where you usually have your ears in relation to the cabinet when on a gig or rehearsal), the 6"-speaker has better dispersion of the mids, so much more high mids/top end reaches your ears instead of blowing past your knees.

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1379272150' post='2210702']
Finally, how would the 12/6 compare against a barefaced and also a Ffearful?
[/quote]

Hard to tell! Don't think we have any of those speakers here in Sweden. Have to do some research and get back to you!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1379273567' post='2210736']
Thanks for the dimensions....

I may want to run one with a DB750... so if I need/want that power, then 2 would the requirement.
On some stages I do, I need to factor in a loud stage sound where the soundman 'forgets' to put
bass in the monitors.
[/quote]

A DB750 puts out around 400W @ 8Ω, which isn't a problem for a 1126. If one is loud enough is harder to tell, but if two is needed, there's also the option of the 2126 which uses the same 12"-speaker (different 6"-speaker to match the dual twelves in loudness) and sounds very close to the 1126, but louder. The same capability as two 1126 cabinets, but a bit cheaper. Might be an option if you don't need to be able to take half the rig to the smaller gigs.

[quote name='TheButler' timestamp='1379329631' post='2211241']
[i]2126 - 4 ohm, 900W, 26 kg, 9200 SEK[/i]

[i]Yes. Please.[/i]
[/quote]

That 2126 is what today is called the D2126. There are sound clips on the website and some basic information (only in Swedish at the moment, Google Translate will have to be your friend until the English website is done).

[quote name='tks.se' timestamp='1379345317' post='2211508']
A DB750 puts out around 400W @ 8Ω, which isn't a problem for a 1126. If one is loud enough is harder to tell, but if two is needed, there's also the option of the 2126 which uses the same 12"-speaker (different 6"-speaker to match the dual twelves in loudness) and sounds very close to the 1126, but louder. The same capability as two 1126 cabinets, but a bit cheaper. Might be an option if you don't need to be able to take half the rig to the smaller gigs.
[/quote]

I don't have a problem with a 212 cab... but already run one to very good effect.
What is the weight of a 2126, please, typically.
I like 212's so can live with a 1126x 2 or 2126, maybe.

I am a fan of the higher end horns though... and certainly could not run a cab without the high end covered.
Whether this would work with a mid driver, hard to tell, without hearing.
Some horns are too brittle and harsh of course, so a hi-mid driver makes sense... maybe..