Why become a member? ×

TKS Engineering cabs - new to the UK

wateroftyne

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1375352159' post='2160070']
I'm liking the tone. How much of that is due to the Walkabout head? Sounds lovely. Might have to see if I can find one.
[/quote]

It's hard to tell.

There's no doubt the Walkabout has magic in it, but these cabs just seems to fit it like a glove.

There's loads of treble on-tap, too - I had the tone rolled back on these clips.

By the way, if any NE-based bashers want to a go, just let me know.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1375103367' post='2156689']
A couple more gigs with a single cab over the weekend... lovely.

I've just had a bit of time to myself for a change, so I filled it in by making the obligatory [i]very[/i] unscientific noodling video. Remember, no tweeter in the cab...

[/quote]

That's the nicest sounding setup I've ever heard you play through. I have a 12" walkabout and a Promethean combo at the moment - I like them both but I think the walkabout must be lined with lead - I'm looking for something lighter. I see from the website that these 112's are specified to weight 10kg - does that sound about right?

[quote name='BB2000' timestamp='1375650549' post='2163959']
I see from the website that these 112's are specified to weight 10kg - does that sound about right?
[/quote]

Hard to believe, but it's true. They're not even Neo.

Solid as a rock, too. They don't feel remotely flimsy.

Great cabs. I have a 212 and a 215, the later one with a tweeter. I think my 215 weighs about 23 kg, they are however going out of production as far as I know. I used to test some prototypes for Tommy since we're based in the same area of Sweden, he's just the best guy ever :)

[quote name='Seaweed' timestamp='1375743041' post='2165188']
Great cabs. I have a 212 and a 215, the later one with a tweeter. I think my 215 weighs about 23 kg, they are however going out of production as far as I know. I used to test some prototypes for Tommy since we're based in the same area of Sweden, he's just the best guy ever :)
[/quote]

Yeah - I think he's replacing the 2x15 with 1x15s. I'd love to hear those...

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1377259258' post='2185414']
As I mentioned earlier, TKS are about to launch some new, and redesigned cabs.

Tommy's just posted an example of the design for the new cloth-grilled 112, which has had the port moved to the rear.

Yum.

[/quote]

Crumbs!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Markolinni' timestamp='1375345817' post='2159959']
I would like to hear that cabs throught a streamliner 600 :)

I'm thinking to get a 2x 112 GB LT Focus, but those look so sweet and are hitching me :D hehe
Unfortunatly doesn't exist videos with those with a streamliner :(
[/quote]

I too have a Streamliner 600 and am intrigued by these cabs. I was thinking Focus or maybe GK Neo 112, but it may be worth havin a shot at one of these to start and another later. Think I'll send an email off to TKS.

thunderpaws,

Since you already have a Streamliner 600 will be much easier to test it. I am waiting to get mine from the dealer.

Inicially, i was seen the TKS 112 setup, but i think they will be changed for a new model, the L112, with neo drivers (i guess i understand that).
I don't know how the Streamliner handles neo drivers, honest.
But ill like to know that, because those new cabs, with +-18lb and 250W its something iummy for the back :)

Hi all

Some new TKS cabs - including the neo 112 - were given a workout at the North East Bass Bash yesterday. There's some pics [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/214518-north-east-bass-bash-september-8th-2013/page__view__findpost__p__2201060"]starting at this post[/url].

Unfortunately we didn't have a Streamliner there, so I can't give you the lowdown on how the might pair up.

Thunderpaws - if you're ever down Newcastle way, you're welcome to come and see my Ceramic 112s or the neo loan cab you can see in the pics...

Hello Wateroftyne,

That's a kind offer. I rarely cross the border now, but once did a hell of a lot! If I am passing I will kindly accept your offer.

The form factor looks goodish on these. The size looks great. The Terror head isn't exactly big so that cab must be quite compact. I wonder how it compares to the GK Neo112?! I think that is my "mass manufactured" option. Barefaced stuff is too damn expensive for me. I look forward to more reviews of these cabs (and audio/songs with them being used).

Cheers,

Garry

You are like me, and even with the same bass i have (but the 5 string version) ;)

Those are my 3 choices right now. The Focus LT 112, the GK Neo 112, and these TKS 112 Cabs, to match a streamliner 600.

My main difficulty is the size and weight and more important, the sound quality i'm seeking, but in a thight budget :S
I like the more old school sound, more fat and warm (like dead strings, without bright).

For now the GB are winning, and can get them in UK, to send to Portugal with the best price of them 3.

It's a good question!

To look at them, you can tell no corners whatsoever have been cut in the fit and finish. They're [i]incredibly[/i] tidy, as I'm sure everyone who saw them at the bash will attest.

The standard 112 is an absolute bargain, but the driver is ceramic so it's bound to be cheaper than the neo cabs in the range. That said, the neo stuff is still extremely reasonable when you compare it to what else is out there.

I've got the Neo 112 here (the black and white one) if you want to have a lend?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1378715311' post='2203435']
Hi all

Some new TKS cabs - including the neo 112 - were given a workout at the North East Bass Bash yesterday. There's some pics [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/214518-north-east-bass-bash-september-8th-2013/page__view__findpost__p__2201060"]starting at this post[/url].

Unfortunately we didn't have a Streamliner there, so I can't give you the lowdown on how the might pair up.

Thunderpaws - if you're ever down Newcastle way, you're welcome to come and see my Ceramic 112s or the neo loan cab you can see in the pics...

[/quote]

Gotta admit, that pairing looks fantastic. It actually makes the Orange look full size :lol:

How does it sound with the Ceramic and the Neo cabs? Is there any difference in tone?

Cheers

thebassman

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1378728497' post='2203717']
It's a good question!

To look at them, you can tell no corners whatsoever have been cut in the fit and finish. They're [i]incredibly[/i] tidy, as I'm sure everyone who saw them at the bash will attest.

The standard 112 is an absolute bargain, but the driver is ceramic so it's bound to be cheaper than the neo cabs in the range. That said, the neo stuff is still extremely reasonable when you compare it to what else is out there.

I've got the Neo 112 here (the black and white one) if you want to have a lend?
[/quote]

Cheers WoT!!! Ill see what I can do and when it'll be best.

I have the 1126 neo cab on loan at the moment. It's very kind of Michael, and of course TKS to let me try it out. All I can say is wow! It is amazing! The first 112 I have liked! It has to be tried to be believed, and the finish is outstanding. I have a feeling we'll be hearing a lot more about TKS in the near future. Definitely a company to watch out for.

Dan

[quote name='bjelkeman' timestamp='1378757507' post='2204403']
Tommy, at TKS, makes the cabs himself. He has no distributor and no reseller that neds a cut. And he is a really nice guy to boot. Can't loose. :)
[/quote]

ha ha ..was actually hmmming about trying some of the cabs...and whether it is time to move my 112's on...
Love the look of the pics above but I think the website is a bit out of date and all in Swedish..?
Assume the white tolex cab is NEO only..?

Like the idea of ceramics and haven't liked any Neo cabs I've used..or more accurately, not LOVED them.

Will watch the webste with interest