Why become a member? ×

Moving over to the darkside!

Jonesy64

[quote name='Jellyfish' timestamp='1377075710' post='2182899']
I am recommending it to everyone I know who's looking for a decent budget 5-string. When I was looking for a 5-string around that price mark, I tried many of them out. I finally ended up landing on an Ibanez BTB as the 35" scale length made for a great low B string, but I if the TRBX had been around at the time, I would have definitely purchased that instead. They sound great but just feel extremely comfortable, I don't doubt that you'll be happy with one. :)
[/quote]

Got my TRBX505 today. It says it's made "in Indonesia to Yamaha's specifications".
So I presume that means it's made by Cort like all the other low/mid range guitars?
I was under the impression that "Yamaha owned all their own factories". That's what the blurb said when I bought my AC3R electro-acoustic. Maybe that only applies to the acoustics.

Anyway it's a nice bass. Just kind of thought I was buying a Yamaha Yamaha.

I really like that it's switchable to passive. My Lakland Skyline was like that. Great for saving batteries or when they run out.

P.s. I'm pretty sure my Lakkie was made by Cort (now sold), and my Peavey Cirrus BXP is as well. So it's not a bad thing really I suppose.

Edited by carl0s

Not so much the [b]dark [/b]side as the [b]deep [/b]side. ;)

Another thumbs up for the Ibanez camp here. I just landed myself a sweet deal on an SR300 and am loving it to bits. Cracking bass, that. And I wholeheartedly agree with those who suggest that the slim, fast neck of the Ibby Soundgear's would be a benefit to a guitarist moving to bass.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1377624365' post='2189580']
I'd just like to say bass isn't just a rhythm instrument. You can play melodically too. Bass is a part of harmony!
[/quote]

Absolutely. I always see the bass as the bridge which brings both melody and rhythm together. It was my love of both these things which led me to the bass which allows you to do both at once. I've heard many breathtaking melodic bass solos. And most bass riffs use their own melody to enhance and add that third dimension to a song.

And remember, while lead guitarists would have you believe they alone hold the audience in the palm of their hands, it's the groove which makes their arses move. :sun_bespectacled:

Well guys, spooky that 'Cat' posted to lift this page onto the front page as I have just come on to search back for it and give an update to anyone interested :-)

I auditioned for a punk/indie/grunge band (I think that covers most bases!) last night and got the gig!

I had my Tokai Hardpuncher bought a month back from Fitzy73 and a '78 Rat clone for a bit of dirt. I used the practice studio's Ampeg combo.

Having played second guitar for two years in a classic rock covers band it's great to now be playing the music I know and love, I'm chuffed to bits actually! The drummer who can also play guitar and bass (clever sh*t, not at the same time though i bet) also complemented me on the Tokai which I was very pleased to hear.

They have been primarily a covers band but do have half a dozen original songs and plan to do more....exciting times for me :-)

Thanks again all for showing an interest in my original post!

Edited by Jonesy64