Why become a member? ×

WHAT SIZE AMPS DO YOU NEED TO GIG WITH?

valentine

[quote]btw I heard a rumour that guitarists can turn down the volume on their amps although I'm not sure it's true ;->[/quote]

This is actually not true. What you may have experienced is the pickhand of the G*****st hitting one of the pots on the said instrument, thus causing what may sound like a temporary reduction in noise. I heard this phenomenon last night & had to investigate it. :)

[quote name='xgsjx' post='220353' date='Jun 17 2008, 08:23 AM']This is actually not true. What you may have experienced is the pickhand of the G*****st hitting one of the pots on the said instrument, thus causing what may sound like a temporary reduction in noise. I heard this phenomenon last night & had to investigate it. :)[/quote]

strangely i haev to keep telling our lead guitard to turn up, whereas the rythmn we keep telling to turn down. they're only superficial anyway.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='220353' date='Jun 17 2008, 08:23 AM']This is actually not true. What you may have experienced is the pickhand of the G*****st hitting one of the pots on the said instrument, thus causing what may sound like a temporary reduction in noise. I heard this phenomenon last night & had to investigate it. :)[/quote]

yeah - that's probably it :-)

• 7 years later...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1460799549' post='3028818']
All those names from the past ...
[/quote]

Bass_Ferret!!!

I never got on with that guy. Mr "blinkered opinion"; always telling people their gear didn't sound good because it didn't exactly fit the rule book, and he could argue for England. The only person I've put on the exclude list.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1460803910' post='3028873']
Not the same anymore.. IMO. :mellow:
[/quote]

I suppose once you know what the best bass for metal is, the best flatwounds to use, whether to go active or passive, whether a replacement bridge adds sustain or not, the current view on 'tonewoods', whether to go valves or SS, the rosewood v maple board question, seen the Korean transvestite bass player, the drummer at the wrong gig and seen pictures of every member's cat, you're going round in circles really. I know I am... I know I am... I know I am... *disappears up own arse*

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1460804686' post='3028886']
I guess they think either this place is sh*t I'm outer here or they give up bass right?
[/quote]

Or they realise that the world only has room for one cross-dressing Korean slap-meister.

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1460806532' post='3028927']
I wonder if this question was asked today, would the same answers apply? I suspect the answers would be for more power / volume.
[/quote]

I suspect the same. The original answers were probably more considered and sensible than today's.

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1460806532' post='3028927']
I wonder if this question was asked today, would the same answers apply? I suspect the answers would be for more power / volume.
[/quote]

I think the average seemed to be 300-350 quoted in original thread.

I can say for sure it would be 500w now lol. However I guess that's 500w class d power or 250w in old ss power or 100w in valve power lol! :D

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1460804686' post='3028886']
I wonder about the members that post only a few times then do one. I guess they think either this place is sh*t I'm outer here or they give up bass right?
[/quote]

There have been a few top names that showed their face and they left pretty quickly...
We know they haven't given up :lol:

Technology obviously changes, and I guess since 2008 there have been a few break throughs regarding getting maximum heft! However all my thoughts about watts and volume have been soundly turned on their head by my resent acquisition of beadsters Ampeg heritage b15, with a hefty 30 watts through a single 15 inch speaker, this baby is loud, and matches my 300 watt Mark bass CMD121p for volume, and kicks it's ass for heft!
I'm yet to gig with it, but that will be done next Saturday night, but I'm expecting great things, so the answer to the initial post, is ......... Don't be fooled by watts.......!