Why become a member? ×

WHAT SIZE AMPS DO YOU NEED TO GIG WITH?

valentine

Beyond a preamp I need nothing - Always DI through the PA. Although I'm building a BFM O15TB so I'm not completely reliant on the PA

If you've not got a PA, I'd go with double the total power of guitar amps.

For rehearsals an Ashdown EB180-12 does me.

Edited by clauster

What sort of stuff you playing? In a Rock set up I use an 8x10 and a Hartke HA4000. In a 3 pce set up Improv, jamming and rehearsal I've used the same amp but with a 4x10 and also a Trace 4x10 combo.

It's not just about volume. Whereas a guitarist can use a 50W amp with the volume up to 10, because distortion is ok, the bass really doesn't want to be going beyond 4 on the dial. So you need more power than your guitarist, because you're not going to use it all - it's called headroom.

Also you need to be able to be heard over the drums. If your drummer has a huge double kit and is hammering it the entire time, you'll need more grunt than if he just has bass, snare and tom and plays with brushes.

If I were starting out now I'd go for something like an Ashdown Mag 2x10 combo, which is 300W and pretty cheap new. Or something used, like the Ashdown (even cheaper used) or the Trace Elliot mentioned before. Just remember with used you don't have warranty and the older it is the more likely you'll start having problems with it.

I never get my sound just right I guess I must be going above 4 on the dial! There cant be a definitive answer to this question as there are to many factors to take into account! I would have thought most 150w and above would suit most pub/rehearsal situations, make sure it has di out to give you scope to use it through a pa for bigger events and you can still use your combi/amp/head etc as a monitor!

I use a Hartke 3500 head (350 Watts) and a Hartke 2200 cab (2x12"). I don't turn the volume on the head above 3 out of 10, but I don't think I would gig with anything less powerful. It's all about headroom with bass

[quote name='Buzz' post='215001' date='Jun 8 2008, 05:41 PM']IT DEPENDS ON THE SIZE OF THE GIG AND THE RELATIVE LOUDNESS OF THE DRUMMER AND GUITARIST.[/quote]

Agree with that. Depends on many factors: not least the size and quality of the PA. Quality is a factor - if your venue has 3kW of quality PA then you'll probably be fine with just a preamp and a DI, but if the PA is crap and loses all your tone and punch then even if it's 10kW you may want to have a beefy backline to take some of the load.

A 300W combo is almost certainly all you'll ever need. My small rig is 750W and my big one will be 1100, which is 99% of the time total overkill. It isn't half fun though, and yesterday I needed every one of the small rig's 750W - wish I'd had the extra cab to preserve some headroom in fact.

I vote 150 - 300W for practically every purpose.

i have now fender bassman 250/115 but as i dont hae car i want to change it for smaller old ashdown abm2x10- just need to find one!

guitarist can have small peavey classic 30 and we need to have fat cows! :)

Edited by fifeq

I wish I had a set of strings for every time I have said the numbers on your amp volume controls are meaningless. The only numbers on my EBS are 0 and 11 (obviously Spinal Tap fans) - thats it. There are lines for reference points but that is all they are and depending on the pre-amp settings most amps can deliver full beans from about 2 on the master.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='215705' date='Jun 9 2008, 08:53 PM']I wish I had a set of strings for every time I have said the numbers on your amp volume controls are meaningless. The only numbers on my EBS are 0 and 11 (obviously Spinal Tap fans) - thats it. There are lines for reference points but that is all they are and depending on the pre-amp settings most amps can deliver full beans from about 2 on the master.[/quote]

It took me far too long to realise that the input gain control allows you to get the strongest, cleanest possible signal from your bass to the amp, while the master output volume control allows you to get the required level from your amp to your speakers.

You're completely right that the numbers therefore refer to nothing at all.

[quote name='The Funk' post='215845' date='Jun 9 2008, 11:52 PM']It took me far too long to realise that the input gain control allows you to get the strongest, cleanest possible signal from your bass to the amp, while the master output volume control allows you to get the required level from your amp to your speakers.

You're completely right that the numbers therefore refer to nothing at all.[/quote]+1. The front end of your amp is the most important, get the input set just right and all of your eq will work properly, then master volume for taste, f*** it, whack it up to 10!!! :)

I personally HATE going thru the PA for my ONSTAGE sound- ie:-thru the monitors- HATE IT!!!!!!! Thats why I've a nice amp & cab. My All tube/valve Ampeg V4BH -100w thru an efficient cab-Bergantino NV610 is HEAPS for almost ANY gig..... for bigger ones just DI the amp's line out(post pre) into the FOH PA system for out front sound....but for MY OWN sound-onstage- I like to have MY rig!

For pub gig, Solid state 350w would generally be enough-providing you've got a decent amount of speaker cone area to 'move the air'. So a 4x10", 2x10" & 1x15" etc SHOULD get U thru most pub gigs EASILY IME.
Any MORE volume needed than this- you SHOULD be going thru the PA for front of house sound, & your rig becomes your own monitor-just for your own/ or onstage sound.

[quote name='rodl2005' post='216559' date='Jun 11 2008, 04:14 AM']I personally HATE going thru the PA for my ONSTAGE sound- ie:-thru the monitors- HATE IT!!!!!!! Thats why I've a nice amp & cab.[...]for bigger ones just DI the amp's line out(post pre) into the FOH PA system for out front sound....but for MY OWN sound-onstage- I like to have MY rig![/quote]

Your bass rig is better designed for bass guitar than the cheap, sh*tty monitors at most venues.

I remember having this conversation once with a sound engineer

"Why does the bass sound so sh*t?"
"'Cos you're going through cheap, sh*tty monitors"
"Is it alright if we cut the bass from the monitors, then?"
"No problem"

i had the same question about 2 years ago when i started up again as previously all i had had was a little 15watt combo. i now have the afforementioned ashdown mag 300 2x10 which for all the gigs we have done so far (up to 300 people) has been MORE than enough on its own, however we do have a gig in 2 weeks outdoors that i feel adding an extension cab would be very beneficial, as that would then allow the use of the full 300 watts.

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='217498' date='Jun 12 2008, 11:32 AM']i had the same question about 2 years ago when i started up again as previously all i had had was a little 15watt combo. i now have the afforementioned ashdown mag 300 2x10 which for all the gigs we have done so far (up to 300 people) has been MORE than enough on its own, however we do have a gig in 2 weeks outdoors that i feel adding an extension cab would be very beneficial, as that would then allow the use of the full 300 watts.[/quote]

Im selling an ashdown 2x10 if your interested. pickup only though :)

[quote name='valentine' post='214991' date='Jun 8 2008, 05:27 PM']I was told id need least a 150 watt?

any recommendations on what i should get and what size?

thanks x[/quote]

for what its worth... id say make sure your speakers are up to it. Nothing worse then the amp having more umph but the speakers turning to mush. Ive been there with 125 Watt peavey combo. really needed extension cab to get the best from the amp

there are different ways to define the power output in Watts so the 'Wattage' is nominal only.
For a given amplifier the sound level you actually get depends on the speaker cab(s) efficiency ( SPL / Watt ) and the impedance characteristic - the 4 ohm etc rating is nominal and will vary over frequency and interacts with the amp.
And, of course, how clean ( or not ) you want the sound to be.
But in general I'd agree that a typical rating of 150 - 300 Watts should be plenty. How loud can the drums be ? :-)

And if drums are being amplified a lot then you'll need to go through the PA too - You're not going to be able to balance a good on-stage sound and get a good out front sound with just the amp.
And think of your hearing too...

btw I heard a rumour that guitarists can turn down the volume on their amps although I'm not sure it's true ;->

In my biased view, a 500 watt amp putting 300 watts into an 8 ohm cab (preferably a 4x10) is all you need for most bands. Add another cab if you want the full 500 watts moving more air. I use the full rig even when we DI. A good rock gig needs trousers to be flapping.
I also run the same 500 watt amp into a 112 for my acoustic duo. I just turn it down.