Why become a member? ×

GET YOUR PEAVEY's OUT - American Rudy Sarzo Signature

BassManGraham

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=5]Peavey make some great guitars and basses, but for some strange reason they seem to be very under-rated. [/size][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=5]Here is my late 80's American made Rudy Sarzo Signature. [/size][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=5]The build quality and playability are amazing. Far better than any Fender or Gibson (and I've had quite a few over the years).[/size][/font]
[size=5]Great gold plated Schaller hardware etc. Beautiful through neck. [/size]

[size=5]Oh and I love the snake eye block inlays on the fretboard, which came from Rudy's time with Whitesnake.[/size]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=5]Great tonal palate from active circuit and humbucking ceramic pick-ups. Plenty of growl & thud bit like T'bird or Alembic.[/size][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=5]The closest I have seen to this are the American Cirrus series. [/size][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=5]No idea what it's worth, but the 5 piece laminate neck feels close to my Alembic.[/size][/font]

Edited by BassManGraham

I don't know why they're so undervalued either. I tried one in the Gallery a couple of months ago and if it had been a 5 I would have bought it on the spot. Really great bass although to compare it to an Alembic is stretching it a little I think. ;) I like their Jeff Berlin signature model too - another one that if they'd made it in a 5 I would have bought.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1373202470' post='2134616']
I don't know why they're so undervalued either. I tried one in the Gallery a couple of months ago and if it had been a 5 I would have bought it on the spot. Really great bass although to compare it to an Alembic is stretching it a little I think. ;) I like their Jeff Berlin signature model too - another one that if they'd made it in a 5 I would have bought.
[/quote]

Ok Kiwi fair point. I have amended my post in light of your comments. It doesn't have the multiple layered exotic woods of the higher range Alembics, but it is beautifully put together and plays a quite a bit like one.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1373202470' post='2134616']
I like their Jeff Berlin signature model too - another one that if they'd made it in a 5 I would have bought.
[/quote]

The Palaedium? Fantastic bass. I'd buy one if I saw one going. The B Quad was an amazing bass too. Lets see those rare Peaveys!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='magcom1977' timestamp='1375998695' post='2168545']
Does anyone know what happened to the new Rudy Sarzo signature bass announced last year? Seems to have disappeared without a trace.

[url="http://www.peavey.com/news/index.cfm?article=510&s=namm"]http://www.peavey.co...icle=510&s=namm[/url]
[/quote]

Bit of a mystery. The Peavey website has a video of Rudy Sarzo with a Sarzo Cirrus model and there is also a thumbnail pic of a Rudy Sarzo NTB. Basically looks very similar to the original Sarzo signature, but it is not listed under products?.

The Cirrus's are superb basses too, but they only seem to list Milleniums which are budget versions. Maybe they just don't make them in US anymore? Which would be a great shame. but I guess it enhances the rarity and value of mine?

I didn't know you had one of these G, but then who really knows what you've actually got hidden away, you included :) ?

Coincidently I was watching Toto live in Amsterdam with Mike Porcaro playing a Cirrus fiver, you don't see too many people playing those which surprises me, the BXPs are really nice, so I would imagine the full on USA models must be lovely.

I haven't seen much on Peavey basses to be honest. The most I've seen are the starter-kit basses that they do at my local Dawsons. Maybe that's what people think when they think of Peavey, might be why they're not rated very highly or even talked about.

I used to have a pal that had a Peavey too, looked and sounded cool as. Made me consider getting one for a while until I plonked for my MiM Fender Jazz.

I saw a review of an 80s T-40 on youtube and it looked and sounded pretty damn nice, and apparently the guy on the video said it was dirt cheap too. I honestly wouldn't say no to one.

When I think of Peavey I think of amps, but they have a few cool signature models too which might bring the interest in their instruments. I mean a Devin Townsend signature, woah. I don't like flying Vs at all, but woah.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1376040172' post='2168827']
I didn't know you had one of these G, but then who really knows what you've actually got hidden away, you included :) ?

Coincidently I was watching Toto live in Amsterdam with Mike Porcaro playing a Cirrus fiver, you don't see too many people playing those which surprises me, the BXPs are really nice, so I would imagine the full on USA models must be lovely.
[/quote]

Yo Chris, Yeah the Sarzo is a really nice bass got it a quite a few years back. I was looking to get a decent Aria SB1000 (one I always regretted selling) love the thru-necks etc, but saw this which was better and very rare. Have downsized my bass stable by 25% over last few months. Might stick a few more up on here!

[quote name='ChickenKiev' timestamp='1376052786' post='2169054']
I haven't seen much on Peavey basses to be honest. The most I've seen are the starter-kit basses that they do at my local Dawsons. Maybe that's what people think when they think of Peavey, might be why they're not rated very highly or even talked about.

I used to have a pal that had a Peavey too, looked and sounded cool as. Made me consider getting one for a while until I plonked for my MiM Fender Jazz.

I saw a review of an 80s T-40 on youtube and it looked and sounded pretty damn nice, and apparently the guy on the video said it was dirt cheap too. I honestly wouldn't say no to one.

When I think of Peavey I think of amps, but they have a few cool signature models too which might bring the interest in their instruments. I mean a Devin Townsend signature, woah. I don't like flying Vs at all, but woah.
[/quote]

Peavey have made some classic bass amps. I also a Peavey Bravo which is a really great little 20W valve guitar combo. Check out their BXP & Cirrus basses they are really good.

Loves me some vintage Peavey. My two T-40s are incredible basses. I don't know why anyone plays anything else. Never played a modern one though, with the exception of a milestone III.

I also hear great things about the Fury basses.

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1376263740' post='2171589']
Loves me some vintage Peavey. My two T-40s are incredible basses. I don't know why anyone plays anything else. Never played a modern one though, with the exception of a milestone III.

I also hear great things about the Fury basses.
[/quote]

Yeah really like the T-40s myself, very distinctive design. Any pics to post?

Here's a shot of my two flanking my rig. The left is a 1978 'toaster' and the right is a 1982 'blade'. Both have their advantages. The toaster is a little more mellow in sound, but the blade is a more sculpted shape and has more clarity to it.

[IMG]http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h373/ashrome/2017960b.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1373210068' post='2134721']
Some of the Peaveys I've tried can sound a little woolly and a little middly. The TL-5's I've tried are a bit like that but the Sarzo and Palaedium (cheers Chris) are exceptions IME.
[/quote]

I have a TL5. I think you tried it a few years ago at a bassbash a few years ago Kiwi, and yes you're probably right about the tone. Mine has been stripped of the lurid blueburst colour by the previous owner to reveal a lovely oiled natural finish.
I keep toying with the idea of changing the preamp and pots as they're a bit flaky anyway ! The pickups are an odd size to change. Other than that i quite like it :)

I liked your bass a lot! But I'd suggest getting some custom pickups made. Aaron Armstrong could make you some very sweet sounding coil spitting humbuckers almost identical to a very, very well known US manufacturer of exotic basses for 90 quid each. If he doesn't have the cases available, you could approach a luthier to make wooden cases.

Re: preamps, you have loads of options depending on how much control you are looking for and which preamp best aligns with the sweet spots on the bass. I'd change the pickups first and then see how things sound.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1376429948' post='2173993']
I liked your bass a lot! But I'd suggest getting some custom pickups made. Aaron Armstrong could make you some very sweet sounding coil spitting humbuckers almost identical to a very, very well known US manufacturer of exotic basses for 90 quid each. If he doesn't have the cases available, you could approach a luthier to make wooden cases.

Re: preamps, you have loads of options depending on how much control you are looking for and which preamp best aligns with the sweet spots on the bass. I'd change the pickups first and then see how things sound.
[/quote]
Hi Kiwi Thats very helpful thanks. My other problem is that it's the oddly rated concentric mid/mid shift pot that I can't find a replacement for. It works but is a bit crackly and howls like feedback if you turn it to far. Peavey USA sent me the last one in the world it seems a year or so ago but it was broken. I managed to replace the treble/bass one quite easily.
This all sounds a bit technical but I'll look into your suggestions above,(90 quid each sounds good !) if all else fails, I may sell the bass on as a working project for someone to fund another 5 string.

Interesting thing about rudy sarzo; at the same time as learning the bass properly( lessons from my friend ), I got the hot licks video by rudy sarzo.
( very hair metal);) the video showed me a lot. I loved the black and white bass he had.
I thought it was a hamer, but apparently it was a Washburn .
This was all pre Internet . Think I'm too old for that now;)
Peavey cirrus were always rated by lots in the &80s/ 90s. Don't think they were expensive either. I was still stuck on headless . ..

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1376429948' post='2173993']

[/quote]
Its sounding a lot better now I've re-soldered the wire back on and the treble tone control is working again !
Thought it sounded a bit rubbish rehearsing last night but should be fine now.