Why become a member? ×

£ per W

Roland Rock

When buying your bog roll in Tesco, the price tags show price per sheet, so that you can make an informed purchasing decision.

What about £ per watt when buying an amp?

For no other reason other than being another silly basschat thread, has anyone achieved any notable ratios when buying an amp? I'm hoping someone will have bagged a 10p-per-watt bargain, and someone else will have paid £100 per watt for some boutique beauty.

My two amp heads were pretty different: £6.50 pw for the Red Iron amp, and £0.57 pw for the Streamliner

Edited by Roland Rock

Bass Rigs:

Ashton including speakers: £0.60 / w
Trace Twin Valve Combo: £2.00 / w

Listening & Pro-Audio

Carver Pro PT2400: £0.01 / w (currently needing repair)
Leak Stereo 20: £37.50 / w

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1373185611' post='2134369']
£0.125/W, going up to £0.175/ W taking into account the £20 that the repair cost me.
[/quote]

Wow, those are some cheap ass watts! I'm sure at one point in my life I could have created a formula and calculated what you paid for what amp, but not any more :-(

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1373196975' post='2134525']
10p/Matamp watt, get money's worth per lb too.
[/quote]

I once went into a discount bookshop and they were selling books by the weight! Scales at the front of the shop and then they calculated the price, like pick n mix! Crazy

Ibby Promethean = £1.60/W (but £0.80 with extension cab)
Ashdown Superfly = £0.50/W @ 8 Ohms (£0.25 @ 4 Ohms). If I factor in what I paid for the cabs, it works out at £3.00/W
Axis NH-100 = £0.40/W if running EL34s, approx £0.50/W with 6L6 equivalents (ex-WD CV1947s)

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1373226459' post='2135088']

I once went into a discount bookshop and they were selling books by the weight! Scales at the front of the shop and then they calculated the price, like pick n mix! Crazy
[/quote]

That was once a perfectly normal way of selling books ... Foyles in Charing Cross Road used to use that method (a long, [i][b]long [/b][/i]time ago).