Why become a member? ×

Shock!!!! Horror!!! Ive Got a Stingray!!

lukeward2004

Hi All,

I never thought I would say this but I have actually found a Stingray I can get along with, and it is now duely added to my arsenal in place of the recently departed Streamer Stage One:

Pics where taken by the previous owner, Ben White, who is a smashing bloke. Im thinking of trying to hunt down a Tortoiseshell plate for it, to make it look a little less "common" if you like, as its all standard at the moment and I like Torty on Black more than Black on Black.

Also, anyone know what size Allen key is needed for the bridge to adjust the string height? None of my allen keys fit it and I want to lower the action a shade.

Cheers

Luke

Really glad to hear you’re loving it mate :huh: The SS1 is making me grin from ear to ear every time I use it and I’ve decided to use it tomorrow night at my gig. Thinking about it – I can’t see that my Thumb is gonna get much of a look-in anymore. It’s great to have a selection though :)

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='214859' date='Jun 8 2008, 01:18 PM']Also, anyone know what size Allen key is needed for the bridge to adjust the string height? None of my allen keys fit it and I want to lower the action a shade.[/quote]

I think it's an Imperial rather than metric hex bolt... I'll dig mine out tonight and let you know what size it is.

You can get a whole set of allen keys in both metric and imperial sizes from any good DIY store.

I have a 30 piece one - 0.028" to 3/8" and 0.7mm to 10mm which cost less than a tenner. I doubt I'll ever come across on allen screw that I can't adjust now.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='215457' date='Jun 9 2008, 02:22 PM']So what is it about this ray in partic. that makes you like it as opposed to the others you didn't?[/quote]

Good question! I've never found them to be that variable...
Although I'm willing to concede that I have a preference for 2-Band EQ models with Maple fretboards!!

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='216096' date='Jun 10 2008, 12:47 PM']Good question! I've never found them to be that variable...
Although I'm willing to concede that I have a preference for 2-Band EQ models with Maple fretboards!![/quote]

Cheers for the kind words guys!

In all honesty, it is just a standard Ray, so it pretty much does what you would expect it to do - sounds like a stingray! Ive always been a massive fan of the ray sound, but never got on with the neck profile on them.

I guess its a combination of my technique improving and experience with playing chunky necked Warwicks the last couple of years that has done it for me, I havent given her a proper thrashing in the studio yet but I will do tomorrow. Shouldnt have any problems coming through!

One of the reasons I got this was because when I switch from fingerstyle to slap mid song, my sound seems to disappear from the overall mix, despite endless tweaking with the mids and hi-mids, whereas Stingrays always seem to cut through very well and the slap sound is really nice on this one.

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='216857' date='Jun 11 2008, 01:44 PM']One of the reasons I got this was because when I switch from fingerstyle to slap mid song, my sound seems to disappear from the overall mix, despite endless tweaking with the mids and hi-mids, whereas Stingrays always seem to cut through very well and the slap sound is really nice on this one.[/quote]

That was one of the reasons for me getting one.

Incidentally, you prolly know this, but EB normally recommend adjusting the wheel of the truss rod for lowering/upping the action.
(that was another reason I loved mine, the wheel is so accurate.).
I originally put a wee spot of clear nail varnish on the centre of the wheel looking down at it, then slight turn either way, and Bob's your Uncle; and you know where to start again if the adjustment didn't work out/
My saddles only got used for adjusting intonation

Hope you enjoy your 'ray :)

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='214859' date='Jun 8 2008, 01:18 PM']Hi All,

I never thought I would say this but I have actually found a Stingray I can get along with, and it is now duely added to my arsenal in place of the recently departed Streamer Stage One:

[/quote]

Dude! That would look amazing next to my black on black P Bass!

Just to add, I took this to the studio last night and gave it a good thrashing with the full lineup - and it sounded immense! No problems cutting through, and my drummer asked me about halfway through the practise:

"Have you changed something in your rig? New Strings?"

I said: "No, just the new bass"

He said:

"Your bass sounds awesome!"

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='218558' date='Jun 13 2008, 09:06 PM']Thats no Wilderbeast - thats a pillow made up from cast-offs from Doods flowing locks ;p[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

errrmmm.. actually, you're right!

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='218561' date='Jun 13 2008, 09:10 PM']Just to add, I took this to the studio last night and gave it a good thrashing with the full lineup - and it sounded immense! No problems cutting through, and my drummer asked me about halfway through the practise:

"Have you changed something in your rig? New Strings?"

I said: "No, just the new bass"

He said:

"Your bass sounds awesome!"[/quote]

Good ole drummers! they are sharp as a sharp thing! Glad to hear it's sounding great Luke!! I do like that raspy MM sound, especially when you crank it up!

• 2 weeks later...