Why become a member? ×

2013 Squier Vintage Modified Bass VI

Ruiner

The BIG question for me is do I dare gig with this bass - on our last cd [url="http://bobcollum.com/"]http://bobcollum.com/[/url] we got Martin Belmont (currently touring with Graham Parker and the Rumour) to add some Fender VI lines above my bass - do I dare use it on its own as the main man bass player .........oooooooooooooh shall I?

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1382098514' post='2247897']
when you do this do you find that there is a difference in volume levels between the two settings?
[/quote]
Well, yes and no. I'm using the bass-cut when strumming 4, 5 or 6 strings, in which case the overall volume would otherwise be higher. And then I'm switching off the bass-cut when I am just playing a single bass string. So actually the switch serves to equalize the volume between these two playing modes.

Edited by mart

Mine arrived on Friday, my excitement soon disappeared as four of the six strings had snapped at the bridge in transit :-( The rest of the bass looked immaculate and I'm really impressed with the finish and weight.

Phone call to dolphin music who kindly said they'd send me a replacement set out (wow, I thought as we know these aren't cheap). Well the replacement ones arrived yesterday morning, a set of four long scale super slinkies! So, as yet, I've not even been able to play it. I've just ordered a set of La Bella roundwounds .95-.26 so will be waiting now until they arrive.

If anyone is having intonation or other bridge problems I highly recommend the Staytrem replacement bridge. It's not cheap at £65 but I'd say it was well worth it. You'd need the 9.5" radius for the Squier or for the Pawn Shop:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wide-bridge-to-fit-Fender-Bass-VI-and-Pawn-Shop-Bass-/181241712541?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&var=&hash=item2a32d90f9d"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wide-bridge-to-fit-Fender-Bass-VI-and-Pawn-Shop-Bass-/181241712541?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&var=&hash=item2a32d90f9d[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

Replacement strings arrive from fender however I've opted for la Bella roundwounds. Just had a set up and fret dress and it's sounding and playing fantastically. Couldn't be more pleased with it. The low E is thunderous enough that I'm going to take it to rehearsals this week and leave my jag at home.

• 2 weeks later...

It's here (bought it secondhand from someone), and it's awesome! Did the "bridge-reversal-mod", got it intonated with the stock strings, but a set of LaBella flats is on the way. And while I agree with "Essential Tension", I have to say that the song Galveston is cool as well! Fit & Finish are superb, I do have a nicely cut nut (not all Squier VI's have that I noticed), and sounds really like a VI should.

Played as a fingerstyle bass:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5iJBoVSIn8[/media]

Played as a guitar:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHJUvO2Gr8g[/media]

My setup includes: "raising the bridge & bridgepickup to absurd heights, so I have enough downward pressure on the saddles. And shimming the neck.

Edited by MrFingers

• 3 weeks later...

One of my local shops has these in, and is selling them for a very reasonable price. I thought it was £273, which matches internet prices.

But when I heck out youtube videos, I must admit that I'm not convinced. Some make it sound neither fish nor fowl, i.e. a bit twangy for a bass, and not good for chordal work. This is the best demo I found so far:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_l3Wb6dDSQ[/media]

But even in that, the chords sound a bit out of tune to me, and the sound doesn't quite work for me. I particularly disliked the IMHO half-baked dirty sound used on the GAK demo of the VI, really off-putting.

Are there any no-apologies demos of the VI around that really show what it can do?

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1386246815' post='2297614']
One of my local shops has these in, and is selling them for a very reasonable price. I thought it was £273, which matches internet prices.

But when I heck out youtube videos, I must admit that I'm not convinced. Some make it sound neither fish nor fowl, i.e. a bit twangy for a bass, and not good for chordal work.
[/quote]

Why don't you try it out and make up your own mind?

It certainly is an acquired taste. I find chords work really well when you engage the strangle (bass cut) switch. The range of tones from the 3 pickups (which may be combined however you wish) is amazing, but the strangle switch makes chords sound great with all of them.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1386246815' post='2297614']
[/quote]
If the shop is local to you then why not go there and play it?

If they have one in stock then i'd buy it pretty quick as i'd be surprised if many (if any) other dealers have one in stock.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1386257114' post='2297813']
If the shop is local to you then why not go there and play it?

If they have one in stock then i'd buy it pretty quick as i'd be surprised if many (if any) other dealers have one in stock.
[/quote]

Because I'd played about four or five other basses while I was there, and I had to stop somewhere :) I end up buying very little from shops, so feel if I'm taking the p a bit if I try too much gear.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1386257384' post='2297821']
Because I'd played about four or five other basses while I was there, and I had to stop somewhere :) I end up buying very little from shops, so feel if I'm taking the p a bit if I try too much gear.
[/quote]
I would have played it in the shop. If you had already played four or five others i doubt that one more would have been a problem. I would definitely have tried it out as i doubt that there is another one in a UK shop at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1387274118' post='2310012']
I'm kind of expecting a wave of these to hit the second hand market at somepoint. I think the Bass VI definitely falls into the category of "very, very cool, but what do you do with it?" and a lot of people are buying them on something of a whim.
[/quote]

...or that might be just wishful thinking! I have a PSVI and VMVI and cannot bear to part with either - despite intending too!!!

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1387274118' post='2310012']
I'm kind of expecting a wave of these to hit the second hand market at somepoint. I think the Bass VI definitely falls into the category of "very, very cool, but what do you do with it?" and a lot of people are buying them on something of a whim.
[/quote]
That was the general view after the Pawn Shop Bass VI came out but it hasn't happened yet. The Squier is so cheap that i doubt it will happen with that either as owners will keep them as they haven't invested a lot of money in them.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1387277968' post='2310059']
That was the general view after the Pawn Shop Bass VI came out but it hasn't happened yet. The Squier is so cheap that i doubt it will happen with that either as owners will keep them as they haven't invested a lot of money in them.
[/quote]

I've got one, and that's how i feel about it. Its not worth selling even if i wanted to because its great fun for the money and actually it sounds great too. I've gigged it as the main bass in my "pub band" and it was very powerful; really cut through the mix. I have two problems with it though - string spacing is tricky if you're used to playing a conventional 4 string bass and the fret buzz/bridge allignment is still work in progress.

[quote name='Storky' timestamp='1387283008' post='2310143']
I've got one, and that's how i feel about it. Its not worth selling even if i wanted to because its great fun for the money and actually it sounds great too. I've gigged it as the main bass in my "pub band" and it was very powerful; really cut through the mix. I have two problems with it though - string spacing is tricky if you're used to playing a conventional 4 string bass and the fret buzz/bridge allignment is still work in progress.
[/quote]
I had a fret buzz problem with my PSVI when i bought it but after my local luthier worked his magic on it it's been fine.

Really fancy a Squier more than the pawn shop one, I'd like the traditional pick-up config. However I really don't like trem and would have to swap out the rear plate for one with a lock.

Is there routing where the lock is? If so I assume they haven't bothered routing it as they've installed the basic flat plate. Anyone done this?

Edited by Mr Arkadin

[quote name='Mr Arkadin' timestamp='1387293684' post='2310363']
Really fancy a Squier more than the pawn shop one, I'd like the traditional pick-up config. However I really don't like trend and would have to swap out the rear plate for one with a lock.

Is there routing where the lock is? If so I assume they haven't bothered routing it as they've installed the basic flat plate. Anyone done this?
[/quote]
The Fender Jaguar tremolo plate with the lock is a simple direct swap - the routing is there.

Edited by EssentialTension