Why become a member? ×

2013 Squier Vintage Modified Bass VI

Ruiner

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='1970' timestamp='1375622793' post='2163528']
I think it's standard guitar tuning: EADGBE

But really up to the user i suppose....
[/quote]
Yep, I'm pretty sure it comes set up for EADGBE (one octave below a guitar), but I'm planning on changing mine to some sort of baritone tuning when it arrives. Fortunately I'm expecting to have another few weeks of waiting before I need to figure out exactly what tuning I want. BEADGC (an octave above 6-string bass tuning) is a possibility, although something that has the same intervals as a guitar would probably be easier for me to adapt to.

[quote name='basskit_case' timestamp='1375611476' post='2163335']
What is the "correct "tuning for the VI?

Is it baritone guitar E A D G B E
or 6 string bass B E A D G C (or similar)
[/quote]

It's E A D G B E and octave below the normal guitar tuning.

Baritone guitars usually are tuned either A D G C E A or B E A D F# A depending on scale length and taste.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1375631818' post='2163658']
... Baritone guitars usually are tuned either A D G C E A or B E A D F# A depending on scale length and taste.
[/quote]
Shortly before you posted that I did the maths and figured out that ADGCEA is pretty much the only tuning that maintains 6-string guitar intervals and has open strings tuned to notes in the key of C major. (The only other ones are regular EADGBE of course, and DGCFAD, which is too close to regular guitar tuning to be much use for a baritone).

So I'll go for that, because I don't think I could cope with a string tuned to F#. Ta!

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1375689854' post='2164178']
Shortly before you posted that I did the maths and figured out that ADGCEA is pretty much the only tuning that maintains 6-string guitar intervals and has open strings tuned to notes in the key of C major. (The only other ones are regular EADGBE of course, and DGCFAD, which is too close to regular guitar tuning to be much use for a baritone).

So I'll go for that, because I don't think I could cope with a string tuned to F#. Ta!
[/quote]

Personally the F# string doesn't cause me any problems, because I just transpose all the strings by the appropriate amount (5 or 7 semitones). For baritone guitars, generally, under 28" scale use the B tuning and over that use A.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1375693718' post='2164251']
Personally the F# string doesn't cause me any problems, because I just transpose all the strings by the appropriate amount (5 or 7 semitones). For baritone guitars, generally, under 28" scale use the B tuning and over that use A.
[/quote]
I can't put my finger on exactly why I don't like the idea of an F# string, and I suspect I might actually be fine with it in practice, because of thinking in terms of transpositions, like you've described. Maybe I'll be brave and try it!

Interesting to note that Nevada have the full range of colours, but the price seems to have jumped by £30. My dealer told me to expect them in late August; I wonder if I should phone them again to get an update.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1375694388' post='2164265']
I can't put my finger on exactly why I don't like the idea of an F# string, and I suspect I might actually be fine with it in practice, because of thinking in terms of transpositions, like you've described. Maybe I'll be brave and try it!

Interesting to note that Nevada have the full range of colours, but the price seems to have jumped by £30. My dealer told me to expect them in late August; I wonder if I should phone them again to get an update.
[/quote]

IMO £299 with free delivery is still going to be a complete bargain if the instrument is as good as it appears to be.

Right now we seem to be interested in the same instruments - maybe there's a Gus bass in your future... ;-)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1375698909' post='2164345']
IMO £299 with free delivery is still going to be a complete bargain if the instrument is as good as it appears to be.
[/quote]
Agreed, £299 would still be an irresistible price. Besides, I'm not actually affected myself by the price increase, because I agreed the price of £273 when I placed my order (and paid a deposit).

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1375698909' post='2164345']
Right now we seem to be interested in the same instruments - maybe there's a Gus bass in your future... ;-)
[/quote]
Lol! I do love the Gus basses, but would struggle to justify spending that money given that I earn nothing from my bass playing.

But, tbh, I've already got Warwicks and a Squier, so I think it's more likely that you're heading over to my dark corner of the bass playing world, and you'll have a room full of fretless 4-string Warwicks before you know it. :-)

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1375703180' post='2164404']
But, tbh, I've already got Warwicks and a Squier, so I think it's more likely that you're heading over to my dark corner of the bass playing world, and you'll have a room full of fretless 4-string Warwicks before you know it. :-)
[/quote]

I am unlikely to ever buy a 4-string bass again, and I'm actually in the process of selling the majority of the ones I currently own.

I ordered the 5-string version of the Star Bass, it's the only Warwick design I really like, and I will have to get something done about the headstock if I'm going to be using it a lot in public. ;-)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1375704949' post='2164450']
I am unlikely to ever buy a 4-string bass again, and I'm actually in the process of selling the majority of the ones I currently own.
[/quote]
So there are gonna be some bargain 4-string Gus's coming soon? My wife is so going to hate you. ;-)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1375704949' post='2164450']
I ordered the 5-string version of the Star Bass, it's the only Warwick design I really like, and I will have to get something done about the headstock if I'm going to be using it a lot in public. ;-)
[/quote]
Now you really are messing with me head. This is the Squier thread, don't start talking about the Starbass on here, otherwise I'll be thinking you're planning to recarve the Squier headstock! (Don't tell me you don't like the CBS headstock? Heretic!)

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up my new Squire Bass V1 yesterday (early birthday present).

Really like it. The sound seems to cut through well, plenty of "twang" would be good for Country stuff, but also does usual bass duties well. Best to play it with a pick though due to string spacing. I guess it is like a bass version of a Stratocaster - same sort of sound - just deeper!

Only slight issue so far is the low "E" is too close to the edge of the neck and is too easily pushed off the edge.

[quote name='Storky' timestamp='1376560883' post='2175913']

Really like it. The sound seems to cut through well, plenty of "twang" would be good for Country stuff, but also does usual bass duties well. Best to play it with a pick though due to string spacing. I guess it is like a bass version of a Stratocaster - same sort of sound - just deeper!

Only slight issue so far is the low "E" is too close to the edge of the neck and is too easily pushed off the edge.
[/quote]
Welcome to the Bass VI club!

The 'Bass VI Players' page on Facebook is an excellent resource for all things Bass VI.

[quote name='Storky' timestamp='1376560883' post='2175913']

[/quote]

Hey Storky, where did you buy it from if you don't mind me asking?

I had a Oly white one from Dawsons but it went back due to issues with the finish.

Apparently the staytrem bridge fix most problems with the E string being too close to the edge of the fretboard so I'm told.

Hey Ruiner,
I got it from TMCMusic Shop Crawley; they have a limited selection being a small shop, but happened to have one of these. The usual places i looked had sold out, so i jumped on it. The finish on mine is faultless (sunburst).

Thanks for the info re the staytrem bridge, also thanks BetaFunk; i'll check out the Facebook page.

Just picked up a black one. General set up and finish is pretty good. However it has the exact same problem with the high E being too close to the edge of the fretboard. Not sure if it's a badly cut nut or something more sinister.

Did you get yours sorted Storky?

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered mine yesterday, apparently Fender are having some 'production problems' whatever that means so I've been told to expect it at the end of September/beginning of October. The guy on the phone said that Dolphin Music got there order in early, mine will be one of the first shipped. We'll see.

I tried the hellcat about 8 years ago and haven't been able to stop thinking about it since, I'm so excited about this

Edited by gemdids

I've had one ordered for 4 weeks and was told end of October at that time. I was led to believe the delay is down to unexpected demand, if that is the same as 'production problems'. Ah well, I've wanted a Fender VI for 30 years, so another 2-3 months isn't going to hurt... much..