Why become a member? ×

2013 Squier Vintage Modified Bass VI

Ruiner

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1409253527' post='2538063']
I've bought a set of the Ernie Ball strings with the heavier E because I couldn't quite stomach stumping up for the La Bella equivalent, and I'm impatient so the wait for delivery would've killed me :P
[/quote]
I'm glad you're enjoying your Bass VI. If you order a custom set of LaBellas they are incredibly cheap. Yes you may have a long wait but they are so cheap it makes the wait worth while. Have a look at their website. :)

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1409254788' post='2538083']

I'm glad you're enjoying your Bass VI. If you order a custom set of LaBellas they are incredibly cheap. Yes you may have a long wait but they are so cheap it makes the wait worth while. Have a look at their website. :)
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip - I'll be sure to have a look!

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Am thinking about doing some upgrades to mine.

First is a proper fret dress, so the strings are coming off. New set of Labella flats going on.

Whilst I'm at it I might tinker with the bridge / tremolo and am thinking about putting some original Kluson tuners on it.

So the tremolo... is the Fender one a proper upgrade?

Stemtrem bridge?

Has anyone used a Buzzstop to improve the break angle?

I just got one as a Christmas pressie... loving it in lots of ways, but the bridge and the low E are such a load of crap, completely spoil what could've been an amazing instrument. I've just sourced a .95 D'Addario single string for the low E, and although it's a bass string with a full size ball end, it sits on reasonably nicely. I'd tried a .105 EB Slinky that I had lying around on it very briefly, but it just felt a wee bit too much - .95 seems just about right. £5 for that single string definitely seems a lot more financially acceptable than the price of a set of LaBellas! That's definitely solved some of the issues, but next month's pay is going to include buying a Staytrem bridge.

I've been having most difficulty adapting to using a pick, I don't find it's that much use as a finger style bass. I think it's definitely well suited to playing like a guitar... I've been having a lot of fun with one of those new EHX Crayon overdrives and a wee Mooer Skyverb Reverb pedal shamelessly ripping off that MBV-ish guitar sound with the trem. Talking of the trem, I found I really needed to wind in some tension on the spring to make it play ball, but now I've got it where I like it, I'm pretty happy.

Edited by twentyhertz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gang! Wanting to get my Bass VI ready for heavy live use. Im seeing a lot of love for the Staytrem bridge which is great, anyone tried the Mastery bridges at all too? They seem to be the only two going.

Also, any other mods anyone can recommend? Trem? Pickups? Nut? Tuners? Any and everything appreciated. Cheers, Cal

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1452649085' post='2952088']
I'm looking for a flatwound set for my VI but I can only see the LaBella stock flats - don't they do a Custom Set in flats?

G.
[/quote]

I don't think La Bella market a custom set but if you email them they will tell you what they can do. I have always found them helpful.

But what's wrong with the stock flats?

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1452672175' post='2952157']
I don't think La Bella market a custom set but if you email them they will tell you what they can do. I have always found them helpful.

But what's wrong with the stock flats?
[/quote]

The price! I was hoping they did a 'cheap' custom set of flats as they do with the rounds. It's a custom set I have on (.108 Bottom E).

G,

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1452682874' post='2952285']
The price! I was hoping they did a 'cheap' custom set of flats as they do with the rounds. It's a custom set I have on (.108 Bottom E).

G,
[/quote]

I ordered mine from the US - cost me about £45 all in I think. Still fiendishly pricey for strings but I figured I wouldn't be changing them again any time soon...

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1452701353' post='2952601']
Anyone tried the black or white nylon wound? - approx $20 cheaper.

G.
[/quote]

I've used the black nylon 760N on ordinary four string basses and they are very nice, slightly brighter than ordinary 760s.

I don't see why they wouldn't sound fine on the Bass VI.

[quote name='CalDeep' timestamp='1452640329' post='2952026']
Hi Gang! Wanting to get my Bass VI ready for heavy live use. Im seeing a lot of love for the Staytrem bridge which is great, anyone tried the Mastery bridges at all too? They seem to be the only two going.

Also, any other mods anyone can recommend? Trem? Pickups? Nut? Tuners? Any and everything appreciated. Cheers, Cal
[/quote]

There's lots of answers to these questions in this thread and in several other Bass VI threads. Try the search function.

The only necessary mods (IMO) are a Staytrem bridge, a new set of strings, and a neck shim.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1452854743' post='2954060']
@EssentialTension:

What did you use to shim the neck? And did you do a 'flat shim' or just shim the bridge-end to provide a tilt?

G.
[/quote]
Thickish business card about one-third to half the size of the neck pocket. The thicker the card the more the neck is tipped back and the more you will need to raise the bridge - but that is good with these guitars to get the right playability and sound, obviously without going too far.

Put it at the bridge side of the pocket. You might need two thicknesses or you might need a single thinner card - trial and error.

What you are aiming for is that, with a fairly flat neck, and when the lower edge of the bridge assembly is about half centimetre or quarter inch above the pickguard to give a nice break angle, then the strings don't rattle and the action is about right.

Set the intonation and away you go.

It took me a few goes but well worth it.

Edited by EssentialTension

I'll give an old credit card a go.

When I'm changing the strings (it means I'll have a pretty new (6 months lightly played) *heavy* set of LaBella Custom roundwounds available) I can have the neck off & I've also got the genuine Fender trem unit to swap in.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne