Why become a member? ×

2013 Squier Vintage Modified Bass VI

Ruiner

[quote name='Storky' timestamp='1387283008' post='2310143']
... fret buzz/bridge alignment is still work in progress.
[/quote]
Still a work in progress here too.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1387283949' post='2310162']
I had a fret buzz problem with my PSVI when i bought it but after my local luthier worked his magic on it it's been fine.
[/quote]
Maybe I need a professional on the job.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1387317593' post='2310738']
How much have the new bridge and vibrato unit added to the price?
[/quote]
Staytrem bridge was £65 and tremolo unit was £45, so quite a lot as a proportion of the price of the Squier itself (i.e. £270). But if you think of it as as Bass VI with a proper bridge and locking tremolo unit for around £370 or so then you might think it acceptable as long as you aren't going to resell it immediately.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1387321935' post='2310808']
Storky said he was having some buzzing problems; I said so was I; you said your luthier fixed it; I said perhaps I needed a professional, i.e. professional luthier, too. That's it.
[/quote]
My apologies ET, i misunderstood. My PSVI was buzzing ever since i bought but the luthier i took it too did some work on the nut and set it up really nicely. He said that he couldn't eliminate all of the buzzing but it sounds so much better than it did.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1387321706' post='2310806']
Staytrem bridge was £65 and tremolo unit was £45, so quite a lot as a proportion of the price of the Squier itself (i.e. £270). But if you think of it as as Bass VI with a proper bridge and locking tremolo unit for around £370 or so then you might think it acceptable as long as you aren't going to resell it immediately.
[/quote]
The Staytrem bridge looks like a really essential upgrade on these. Well worth the money. Even with the extra spent on the Staytrem it's still a cracking guitar for under £400.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1387323475' post='2310829']
My apologies ET, i misunderstood. My PSVI was buzzing ever since i bought but the luthier i took it too did some work on the nut and set it up really nicely. He said that he couldn't eliminate all of the buzzing but it sounds so much better than it did.
[/quote]
I haven't really got buzzing but I still haven't got the relief correct or the action where I want it. May be the nut needs some work but I'm also starting to think I might need a shim. I'll get there in the end even if it does take a trip to the luthier.

Nice pics, it looks good with the black pearl plate.

I have had a new nut and will probably get a new bridge in the new year. My problem is partially to do with the strings being set too wide for the neck; the "E's" are too easily pushed off the edge. If the bridge were narrower it should eliminate the problem and would also make the strings line up with the pole pieces better, so thats what i'm thinking of doing. Once done i'll put on some new strings and get it set up professionally. Hopefully the playability will then match the sound.

• 1 month later...

I'm not like a kid at christmas anymore.
Bass has arrived damaged!! :(
I've rung GAK and my options seem to be return and wait for the next batch to come in, return for GAK to repair and redeliver at the mercy of the couriers again, or GAK send me the parts and I fix it myself.
It's taken a whack on the volume knob, scraping the plastic knob and bending the pot shaft to the point it can't be turned.
An easy fix for me to do but it's ruined 'new bass day'.
I've got to ring them tomorrow and make decision.

[quote name='The Twickerman' timestamp='1391181439' post='2354266']
That sucks. I had mine from GAK damaged similarly in transit. Fortunately it was only the plastic knob that was damaged.

If I were you I'd return it for repair. Their customer service is excellent.
[/quote]

I know that's the most sensible thing but it's a right pain for me to be around for collection and delivery in the daytime, I had to go and collect it from the depot this morning as luckily I had a day off, plus my biggest worry is the couldn't give a sh*t courier that takes it back to GAK and then brings it back to me for a delivery when I won't be there, and then takes it back to the depot for me to go and collect next Saturday as they are closed in the evening. It's a long time being kicked around the floor. When I collected it the woman couldn't even be arsed to lift it up, just dragged the box along the floor.
I don't have a lot of faith in couriers if you couldn't tell, but it is justified.

I think I'll just get them to send me the volume pot and knob and do it myself, as I trust myself.

RE the one in Wunjos, I'd be in the same boat with regards to couriers, Squier only put them in one of those thin foamy sheet bags, and straight in the box, it barely took much to do this damage.

I must stress this is Parcel Forces doings, not GAK.

It isn't a major problem by any stretch but just kind of annoying as hell :angry2: .

Grrrr!............. anyway rant over :D

• 6 months later...

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1409093295' post='2536357']
It arrived early!! :D

Huge props due to Wunjo who had this sent across London by courier because they didn't want me travelling over to them on such a miserable day. Customer service way above and beyond anything I have experienced before.
[/quote]
I have a Pawn Shop Bass VI and a Squier VI and both are great. I have Staytrem bridges on both which are a great improvement over the originals as are LaBella strings.

The Squier is outstanding for the money and you'll have hours of fun with it!!! :D

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1409132825' post='2536581']

I have a Pawn Shop Bass VI and a Squier VI and both are great. I have Staytrem bridges on both which are a great improvement over the originals as are LaBella strings.

The Squier is outstanding for the money and you'll have hours of fun with it!!! :D
[/quote]

I've bought a set of the Ernie Ball strings with the heavier E because I couldn't quite stomach stumping up for the La Bella equivalent, and I'm impatient so the wait for delivery would've killed me :P

So far I'm absolutely loving the bass though - the fact that I can jump from woody Jazz for bass to twangy Jag for chords is incredible. And it looks lush next to my Surf Green Hoppus bass :D