Why become a member? ×

2013 Squier Vintage Modified Bass VI

Ruiner

Just got one of these from a shop in Southampton.
Trouble is I have hurt my back/neck n cant move my right arm properly so cant really try it.
Had to have one though, and for what its worth I think I prefer it to the Pawnshop

[url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/22/oc53.jpg/"][/url][url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/fr5a.jpg/"][/url][url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/547/yagq.jpg/"][/url][url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/547/rqp7.jpg/"][/url][url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/18/1yzi.jpg/"][/url]

Edited by spaners

[quote name='spaners' timestamp='1378473787' post='2200843']
Just got one of these from a shop in Southampton.
Trouble is I have hurt my back/neck n cant move my right arm properly so cant really try it.
Had to have one though, and for what its worth I think I prefer it to the Pawnshop
[/quote]
Now that you've got one it's worth checking out the 'Bass VI Players' page on Facebook. I've found it the best resource for all things Bass VI on the net and worth joining for the info it gives from other Bass VI owners.

I was snooping about a local big(ish) music shop today & asked them about a Bass VI. They have one on order. One.

So I mentioned I had a Burns Double Six snuggled up safely under the bed in excellent condition. These are going for £700 new on Ebay, so I reckon it is worth at least a Bass VI. The guv'nor wasn't averse to the idea, so I'll be taking the Double 6 to see him next week & see if we can be doing a straight swap for his Bass VI when it comes in. Fingers crossed!!

G.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1378764455' post='2204550']
I was snooping about a local big(ish) music shop today & asked them about a Bass VI. They have one on order. One.

So I mentioned I had a Burns Double Six snuggled up safely under the bed in excellent condition. These are going for £700 new on Ebay, so I reckon it is worth at least a Bass VI. The guv'nor wasn't averse to the idea, so I'll be taking the Double 6 to see him next week & see if we can be doing a straight swap for his Bass VI when it comes in. Fingers crossed!!

G.
[/quote]
Do you mean that you are swapping the Burns for a £270 Squier Bass VI?

I have one of the Fender Pawn Shop Bass VIs (very nice) and just taken delivery of a Squier. I have to say, the Squier, as received, was nearly unplayable. Fret buzz and choking all over the higher frets. It's currently back with the shop for remedial action. They adjusted the bridge, but now think they'll have to give it a fret dress!

I have no idea if it's indicative of the build quality of all the Squier Bass VIs - but I'd warn you to be careful if buying by mail order, that your dealer is good with after-sales customer service.

[quote name='The Twickerman' timestamp='1378812125' post='2204854']
I have one of the Fender Pawn Shop Bass VIs (very nice) and just taken delivery of a Squier. I have to say, the Squier, as received, was nearly unplayable. Fret buzz and choking all over the higher frets. It's currently back with the shop for remedial action. They adjusted the bridge, but now think they'll have to give it a fret dress!

I have no idea if it's indicative of the build quality of all the Squier Bass VIs - but I'd warn you to be careful if buying by mail order, that your dealer is good with after-sales customer service.
[/quote]
I also have a PS Bass VI and i'm pleased with it but when i bought it i got a luthier to set it up properly. I have noticed that on the Bass VI Players Facebook page it seems that everyone who has bought a Squier VI has not been pleased with it out of the box. The main criticism seems to be the bottom E string, the bridge and generally trying to set it up. I still think that they are fantastic value for the money but i think anyone buying one should be prepared for a lot of tweaking before making it playable.

P.S. I'm up the road in sunny Hampton Hill.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1378808859' post='2204798']
Do you mean that you are swapping the Burns for a £270 Squier Bass VI?
[/quote]

Pretty much. I don't play guitar much any more, so I may as well swap it for something I'd use. Also saves me the hassle of putting it up for sale. If I put it up on Ebay, I'd probably get about £400 for it if I'm lucky, so a Bass VI & case wouldn't be far away.

G.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1378818975' post='2205037']
Pretty much. I don't play guitar much any more, so I may as well swap it for something I'd use. Also saves me the hassle of putting it up for sale. If I put it up on Ebay, I'd probably get about £400 for it if I'm lucky, so a Bass VI & case wouldn't be far away.

G.
[/quote]
Have a look on the Facebook 'Bass VI Players' page as it is the best resource i've found for all things Bass VI. There are also a lot of comments re: the Squier VI.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1379175285' post='2209518']
Played the Fender Pawn Shop version today. I liked it a lot, but I don't know what I'd "do" with one musically. £600 for a Fender one is probably out of the question, but a second hand squier might sway me...
[/quote]

That's how I feel, I so want one but I don't know if I'd use it in a band situation.
Hopefully a lot of people will do the same and buy a Squier one because they're so cheap and then not use it, I'll buy it second hand for peanuts ................... if I can resist buying a new one .............................. oh who am I kidding? I'll have an Olympic white one please!

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1379175285' post='2209518']
Played the Fender Pawn Shop version today. I liked it a lot, but I don't know what I'd "do" with one musically. £600 for a Fender one is probably out of the question, but a second hand squier might sway me...
[/quote]
The Squier was initially available in small numbers on it's release a couple of months ago so there aren't many around. Also there are probably more than that number on back order and most either have or will be sold as soon as the dealers receive them.

The Squier is only £270 brand new so i can't see them going for a great deal less even used ones for a while yet.

I have a Pawn Shop but have also played a Squier VI. The PS is definitely better made with much better bridge etc and so it should for over twice the price but the Squier is fantastic value for money and that's why the initial ones were snapped up so quickly.

I've just got the ball rolling on my own band (first time in a long time I'm getting what I want without compromise) and the guitarist is keen to have the bass as a prominent instrument, and just have one guitar.

We both think it would be cool to have one of these for a few tracks...it would suit the sound we are going for I think.

[quote name='The Twickerman' timestamp='1379513881' post='2213560']
I might sell my Squier - I simply don't find it as playable as the Fender. The shop will take it back (of course), but I'd rather give Basschatters first dibs as it'd be going back into stock at the shop shortly if I don't. PM me if interested.
[/quote]
I'll do you favour and take it off your hands for 50 quid.

Finally got to have a fiddle with it at 8pm last night.. a bit late for using an amp (for the neighbours, not me), but really pleased with it so far. The finish is far better than I expected for the money, and the nut is much tidier than most that I have seen and nicely spaced. The only thing that mystifies me is how to get the trem arm to remain in one position - being a press in type it seems to loosen off and swing downwards after one or two presses. Having no real experience of them, I assumed that they were a screw in affair but it just pushes in. Maybe it needs a harder press!

If anyone is interested, it fits quite nicely into a Hiscox STD-EBS case

Edited by invicta59

OK, done the deal & have a receipt in my wallet. Just waiting for whenever the sunburst Bass VI will be delivered. It might be a while, so just as well I'm in no hurry.

However, the next big question!!!

Which strings?

The general opinion on various forums (Fora?) is that the Bass VI doesn't really work with the originally supplied strings - a .85 E simply is too floppy. Many are saying that you need at least a .95 and many are raving about the LaBella set with a .106 E.

As I'd want to use it primarily as a bass, I'd be wanting to put a set of flats on it, so, which sets are available for the Bass VI?

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

[quote name='invicta59' timestamp='1379668962' post='2215406']
Finally got to have a fiddle with it at 8pm last night.. a bit late for using an amp (for the neighbours, not me), but really pleased with it so far. The finish is far better than I expected for the money, and the nut is much tidier than most that I have seen and nicely spaced. The only thing that mystifies me is how to get the trem arm to remain in one position - being a press in type it seems to loosen off and swing downwards after one or two presses. Having no real experience of them, I assumed that they were a screw in affair but it just pushes in. Maybe it needs a harder press!

If anyone is interested, it fits quite nicely into a Hiscox STD-EBS case
[/quote]

Try putting yon silicon tape that plumbers use round the base. Do you need it anyway?

G.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1379677270' post='2215574']
Which strings?

The general opinion on various forums (Fora?) is that the Bass VI doesn't really work with the originally supplied strings - a .85 E simply is too floppy. Many are saying that you need at least a .95 and many are raving about the LaBella set with a .106 E.

As I'd want to use it primarily as a bass, I'd be wanting to put a set of flats on it, so, which sets are available for the Bass VI?
[/quote]
I'm going for this set on my Pawn Shop Bass VI but LaBella also make custom sets for the Bass VI.

http://www.labella.com/products/767-6f/

[quote name='invicta59' timestamp='1379668962' post='2215406']
Finally got to have a fiddle with it at 8pm last night.. a bit late for using an amp (for the neighbours, not me), but really pleased with it so far.
[/quote]
Have you joined the 'Bass VI Players' Facebook page yet?

Loads of interesting tips and info for all things Bass VI on there!