Why become a member? ×

Bergantino IP310 and Avalon U5

steve-soar

I think I'm in a good place as regards finding a set up that can deliver the sound I have in my head and be portable and good quality.

I would like to thank the Basschatters who sold me the kit, it was a pleasure doing business and thanks for being brave enough to buy the gear in the first place and then sell it on at such great prices. This is what the forum is about, getting good advice, good deals and meeting some sound people.

So, the cab sounds beautiful with the Avalon, very rich and warm, deep and clear and it has a brutal slap tone(good grief :) ).

It ain't the most flexible set up, no fx loop and no eq or compression but I will use the eq of my basses to alter any tones I need. The cab has a preset eq and limiting curve, so I'll try that(just remembered that one :huh: ) and if I want any fx, I'll put my GT6B in front of the Avalon.

All in all, a very happy bunny.
The wife has just shouted in "for now!" :huh:

Funny,
I was just coming in to say how lovely that looks. I am not entirely sure how to move this to the end of a current thread... anyone else? Maybe just copy it over and I will delete this one?

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' post='214529' date='Jun 7 2008, 06:26 PM']Funny,
I was just coming in to say how lovely that looks. I am not entirely sure how to move this to the end of a current thread... anyone else? Maybe just copy it over and I will delete this one?

Cheers
ped[/quote]

You can merge topics Ped.. but I think this one does deserve to stand out alone... I would love to hear this set up!

[quote name='dood' post='214791' date='Jun 8 2008, 10:58 AM']You can merge topics Ped.. but I think this one does deserve to stand out alone... I would love to hear this set up![/quote]Hi Dan, you know when you are in a good studio and your bass is DI'ed through a good pre into the studio monitors, well, it sounds a bit like that.
For its size, it has a big sound and I love the sound of 10's.

I emailed Mr Berg to ask what the cab was rated at (ohms) and I didn't get a reply, sorry, I did get a reply but he didn't answer that particular question.

They say you get the full 1000w at 4 ohms into the cab but into 3x10's?

I reckon 5.3 ohms but you do have a nice bit of headroom to spare, I wonder how it would fare against an Epi 3x10 with your amp and the Avalon!

Is your cab 6 or 8 ohms?
Steve.

Good grief.
That's rather nice!

I'm a mite confused, though!

The Avalon is a pre-amp, right?
Is the cab "active"? There's a big heat sink and a power switch on the back...
If so, is mains power delivered to it by that (Blue) Speakon-like plug instead of an IEC 1 (kettle) lead?

Or is there just a BIG power amp hiding somewhere just out of shot?

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='215141' date='Jun 8 2008, 10:29 PM']Good grief.
That's rather nice!

I'm a mite confused, though!

The Avalon is a pre-amp, right?
Is the cab "active"? There's a big heat sink and a power switch on the back...
If so, is mains power delivered to it by that (Blue) Speakon-like plug instead of an IEC 1 (kettle) lead?

Or is there just a BIG power amp hiding somewhere just out of shot?[/quote]Yeah blue speakon thingy, very safe and cool.
Just trying my GT6B with it, mmmmmmmmm.
I think my fx board will be in the classifieds soon.
I much prefere the sound of my basses through just the Avalon and IP310.
I didn't use fx when I first started playing (1985) until I got the GT6B (last year).
I think I will let my fingers do the talking.
I love this set up. :)

[quote name='steve-soar' post='214523' date='Jun 7 2008, 06:17 PM']I will use the eq of my basses to alter any tones I need. The cab has a preset eq and limiting curve, so I'll try that(just remembered that one :huh: )[/quote]
Might be worth noting that you'll need to set and forget your bass onboard eq at soundcheck. If you go changing it by substantial amounts during the gig, the sound man will be playing catch up with you. :)

Nice rig BTW. Very classy, I've played both components (albeit separately) and I'm sure you've managed to achieve a very warm, round and clean sound. But not too aggressive?

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='215208' date='Jun 9 2008, 08:03 AM']Might be worth noting that you'll need to set and forget your bass onboard eq at soundcheck. If you go changing it by substantial amounts during the gig, the sound man will be playing catch up with you. :)

Nice rig BTW. Very classy, I've played both components (albeit separately) and I'm sure you've managed to achieve a very warm, round and clean sound. But not too aggressive?[/quote]Hi Crazy, the type of music we play(think, Nick Cave, Julian Cope, Talking Heads-ish), means for the most part I can set it an leave it.
Believe me, this rig can be very brutal if needs be.

[quote]If so, is mains power delivered to it by that (Blue) Speakon-like plug instead of an IEC 1 (kettle) lead?[/quote]

These are called power-cons my friend.

To me they are far superier to kettle leads as they lock in like speakon cables. The end the runs from the mains is white/grey and the end going into the systems is blue.

Btw Steve, amazing set-up, would love to hear it!

Jake

• 5 weeks later...

Power cons :) what a fantastic idea, about time all manufacturers adopted this idea, its the future!!!
Steve a completely gorgeous rig mate, you always have such great rigs, id love to hear that set up in action as ive always fancied one of those avalon U5,s
keep groovin-lee

These are called power-cons my friend.

To me they are far superier to kettle leads as they lock in like speakon cables. The end the runs from the mains is white/grey and the end going into the systems is blue.

Btw Steve, amazing set-up, would love to hear it!

Jake
[/quote]