Why become a member? ×

The Thirteen Dumbest Band Names in Rock History

xilddx

My first band was "Private Party" as that was the most common listing in the gig section of the much missed Melody Maker magazine, someone older and wiser did point out that no one would actually know where you were playing!

After that the names became far more sensible "Kipper Trench" and "By Order of the Seven Fat Pigs" were two all too brief encounters

Don't know about [i]dumbest[/i], but a band here called themselves Pope, and probably wondered why people couldn't find them on the web. Changed their music a bit and were renamed Strange Days, after a certain unknown album. ;)
Yup, they're a lot easier to find these days. Not.

Personally I don't get this.

best,
bert

I've done gigs with some rather oddly named acts supporting us. Worst ones (both in name and "musical" content) were:

The Donkey Spoke - sounds like some odd bike accessory.

Churn - sounds like a grind band, or a bunch of folkies, but were in fact a christian rock group (who were absolutely sh*te!!)

And then there was this bunch (no explanation needed as to why they were awful)

Darkie

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1372790508' post='2130084']Churn - sounds like a grind band, or a bunch of folkies, but were in fact a christian rock group...[/quote]

That surprises me, as 'churn' is well-known slang for 'tumbler'. :)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1372771709' post='2129709']
I saw them a couple of times. Most memorable gig was them supporting Godflesh at the General Wolfe.
[/quote]
I don't suppose you remember a Coventry band called Sunset Rose? They were very different to Dirtbox, being more Hair Metal. I used to work with their guitarist and got on well with the rest of the band, yet I can't remember any of their surnames and I would love to see if I could find out what happened to them, especially the guitarist, Graham, he was incredibly talented.

[quote name='Jonesy64' timestamp='1374326737' post='2147612']
Somebody mentioned K*nt And The Gang earlier....they played a gig recently in Nottingham on the same bill as [i][b]Arse Full Of Chips.[/b][/i] I can't decided whether that's a dumb name or a great one!
[/quote]

Great one, definitely a great one. Course said with a South Yorks/Notts accent it probably means something completely different.