Why become a member? ×

Replacement tuning key for squier vista musicmaster bass

CBbass

Hi guys,

I have a lovely musicmaster bass which I got today but one of the tuning keys was completely damaged in shipping. The problem is I really can't find any direct replacement. I guess I'll have to replace all 4 of the keys for other ones but I'm not really sure which I'll need. If anyone could help I'd be eternally grateful.

I can get measurements and pics if requested.

Many thanks.

[quote name='CBbass' timestamp='1372341243' post='2124545']
They only made them for 1 year in 1997, so unfortunately not.
[/quote]

Oh whoops, my bad.

Hope someone can help :)

Edit. Just had a look, lovely looking bass, is it short scale?

Edited by Myke

[quote name='CBbass' timestamp='1372338361' post='2124490']
Hi guys,

I have a lovely musicmaster bass which I got today but one of the tuning keys was completely damaged in shipping. The problem is I really can't find any direct replacement. I guess I'll have to replace all 4 of the keys for other ones but I'm not really sure which I'll need. If anyone could help I'd be eternally grateful.

I can get measurements and pics if requested.

Many thanks.
[/quote]

Before you buy a full set, remove the damaged tuner and check the diameter of the tuning peg hole. Most Fender holes are 17.5 mm but some Japanese Fender ones are 16mm.

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1372343190' post='2124577']
Oh whoops, my bad.

Hope someone can help :)

Edit. Just had a look, lovely looking bass, is it short scale?
[/quote]

No worries, thanks for your input! :)

It is a short scale, I also own a vintage modified short scale jaguar to compare the neck to. The musicmaster has a far thicker and wider neck, same nut as my american special precision, jaguar is like a jazz. I'm going to be selling the jaguar soon to downsize.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1372343938' post='2124598']
Before you buy a full set, remove the damaged tuner and check the diameter of the tuning peg hole. Most Fender holes are 17.5 mm but some Japanese Fender ones are 16mm.
[/quote]

Thanks, will do. I haven't had to replace or fit tuners before. I've spent about 2 hours looking around for tuners of the same design as these, however I can't find any :(. It'll be a shame to replace all 4 because the bass itself is completely stock and I would like to keep it that way.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1372346824' post='2124660']
Send me pics and measurements. I might have one. I've taken some nickle ones from a 1996 Squier
[/quote]

This would be an absolute lifesaver if they fit! I'll post some pics to this thread tonight, I'll shoot you a PM to let you know when I do. If it's a replacement then I'd be very happy to pay for the tuner and shipping.

Thanks all!

CBbass, thanks for the pics. They look as I hoped. Please can you also measure the diameter of the spiggot that the strings wind onto. We want to make sure they're the same size. Maybe you could also measure the distance between centres of the fixing holes too; one pair, the other pair and between the pairs.

Actually, those heads come apart, maybe all you need is the "key" part?

[quote name='CBbass' timestamp='1372360302' post='2124901']
I hope this helps. Measurements aside, I can't find a single bass key which looks the same so if it lines up with what you have then it'll most definitely be the same. The only damaged part is the base "key" bit. Thanks.
[/quote]

The measurement you want to know is the diameter of the hole in the headstock. The bushings usually fit into these holes and are usually 17.5 mm or 16 mm for Fenders. Checking the spindle on mine (which are standard vintage Fender) it is 14mm, which is the same as yours. Looks like a standard set of tuners would fit the hole.

I notice 'Bass Parts resource' in the states sell a full set. [url="http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/bass_tunersfender.htm"]http://www.guitarpar...unersfender.htm[/url]

Edited by gjones

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1372373014' post='2125140']
The measurement you want to know is the diameter of the hole in the headstock. The bushings usually fit into these holes and are usually 17.5 mm or 16 mm for Fenders. Checking the spindle on mine (which are standard vintage Fender) it is 14mm, which is the same as yours. Looks like a standard set of tuners would fit the hole.

I notice 'Bass Parts resource' in the states sell a full set. [url="http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/bass_tunersfender.htm"]http://www.guitarpar...unersfender.htm[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for the help :). I'll measure when I get home later. Which is the set you're looking at? Because I can't find an identical set anywhere. Regardless, I think getting a single tuner from wayne or Grangur would be ideal to keep the bass original and keep costs down... still I might have to get a new set of 4 if things don't work out unfortunately.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1372442946' post='2125887']
I've measured mine and the ones I have are slightly smaller. I also only have 3 (and a rattly one). So I can't offer a set.
The spigot size is about 14mm though.
[/quote]

Hey, thanks for getting back to me :). I only need one so 3 would be more than enough. My measurements might be slightly off, but the tuner itself is very unique. The closest I've found are Gotoh's but even then, they're still different. If it looks the same there's actually a good chance it could fit. Would you be able to send me a front and back picture just so I can take a look please?

[quote name='CBbass' timestamp='1372410491' post='2125337']
Thanks for the help :). I'll measure when I get home later. Which is the set you're looking at? Because I can't find an identical set anywhere. Regardless, I think getting a single tuner from wayne or Grangur would be ideal to keep the bass original and keep costs down... still I might have to get a new set of 4 if things don't work out unfortunately.
[/quote]

Duh...... I was looking at the Mustang reissue not the musicmaster.