Why become a member? ×

Recording Live - Self Contained Unit - Up to 16 Tracks Simultaneously

jonsmith

I started out live recording with a Yamaha AW2816. As this was limited to recording 8 tracks simultaneously, I soon progressed to an AW4416 which allowed me up to 16 tracks simultaneously. I got great results and produced some excellent recordings with this setup. Recently, I've discovered that it seems to get a bit twitchy when the band is really loud - then the recordings tend to skip. I've tried different hard disks but the problem remains. Thinking that this was a vibration issue, I tried using a CF card instead of an HDD, but although it tests well at home, the CF card seems unhappy about set length 16 track recordings.

For 'everything through the PA' recordings, I'm recording onto a Fostex recorder that allows 24 track simultaneous recording, but this needs a mixer (for recording levels), so it's less useful for smaller gigs where not everything runs through the PA.

Is there anything new-ish on the market that allows 16 track simultaneous recording, preferably onto non-mechanical media (SD card or similar) that has it's own mixer section? I can't seem to find anything.

EDIT: Title for clarity.

Edited by jonsmith

We've just bought a QU16 - [url="http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?catId=Qu16&productId=Qu16"]http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?catId=Qu16&productId=Qu16[/url]

You can record 16 tracks plus your stereo out onto a portable hard drive, or link it to your mac/pc if you want to record straight into your DAW.

It has built in EQ/Compression/Limiter/Delay on every channel, so no need for lugging loads of outboard gear around with you.

We've had it a few weeks now and love it.

[quote name='butlerk02' timestamp='1372175604' post='2122496']
We've just bought a QU16 - [url="http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?catId=Qu16&productId=Qu16"]http://www.allen-hea...&productId=Qu16[/url]

You can record 16 tracks plus your stereo out onto a portable hard drive, or link it to your mac/pc if you want to record straight into your DAW.

It has built in EQ/Compression/Limiter/Delay on every channel, so no need for lugging loads of outboard gear around with you.

We've had it a few weeks now and love it.
[/quote]

That looks rather nice - probably a bit more than I was planning to spend, but tempting!

[quote name='danthevan' timestamp='1372176043' post='2122503']
Thought they done a bigger one? Could be wrong though
[/quote]

They do a 24 track one that is also limited to 8 tracks simultaneously. I wonder if something will emerge with more simultaneous capability, or maybe I'll have to revert to the Glyn Johns style of drum recording (it did seem to work for him).

Use an esata cable to an external hard drive or raid array mounted in a suspended rack...

I've had no trouble with Alesis HD24s recording very loud stuff, that's 24 tracks right there, you'll need Mic pres too though...

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1372199030' post='2122913']
Use an esata cable to an external hard drive or raid array mounted in a suspended rack...

I've had no trouble with Alesis HD24s recording very loud stuff, that's 24 tracks right there, you'll need Mic pres too though...
[/quote]

I'm having no problems using a similar Fostex recorder for 'big gigs' where everything runs through the desk, my problem is trying to find an 'all in one' solution like the old Yamaha (i.e. mixer & recorder), for smaller gigs when the drums etc. aren't running through the PA desk. I suppose it might be easier buying a cheap 16 channel mixer to run into the Fostex for smaller gigs.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Edited by jonsmith