Why become a member? ×

Car of choice for lugging gear

[attachment=137620:P1030419.JPG]You can do all the sensible options, or you can drive a car that is the best looking estate on the road currently! Yes, there is a lip down to the boot floor and it's not the biggest load lugger either but I could carry a full PA, an EUB and stand, Bass in case, a Mixer, a MarkBass 2x10 cab, a LMII, a lighting rig, a tool box and 5 unit rack case in it. Just protect the rear bumper as I have done plus some Ventureshield under there too! Surprisingly affordable now too! Alfa 159 TISW for those who are not up on their cars!

Edited by yorks5stringer

focus c-max hatchback - loads of space in back with the seats folded

ford galaxy or the vw sharan equivalent is not as big as you think but can be massive inside as it has a flat deck and the rear seats can be removed/folded leaving just the driver and passenger seat

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1372080687' post='2121299']
I'd go for the Octavia estate.
The new version is out soon with a bigger boot.

Have you thought of the Suberb estate?
That thing is massive inside.

If the 159 is anything like the 156 then the boot opening was quite small and an odd shape.
The Octavia and the A4 are basically the same car (as is the Passat)

and a BMW is a BMW (no indicators, difficulty staying in lanes...)
[/quote]

I've currently got a Peugeot 807 which is immense (Something like 2900 Litres with the seats out.)

However looks like I'll be getting a company car soon and the Skoda Superb looks like a front runner (1865 litres with the seats down)
Sounds like a big difference from the 807, but in practice,when loading the PA & gear you very rarely can use the full height of the 807, so the practical difference might not be so much.

Anyone got any experience of the Superb.?

The Mazda 6 has a ton of room in the back and can still be pretty nippy in the 185 Sport version.
The seats go down well and the hatch makes it almost as much room as a small estate.

It thinks it is a 3 series or some sort, but it really isn't....but the hatchdoor makes up for quite a bit.
I fill it up with a full kit, bass rig and 2 basses and lights..

Thanks for the input guys - from the bizarre to the sublime - I am glad you showed me the boot of your car open[url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/2189-yorks5stringer/"] yorks5stringer. [/url]
It looks more useable than when the boot is closed because the boot lid hinge seems to go back a bit into the roof. hmmm. I am surprised how many people are championing Skoda Fabia estates! I think I might need to check them out!

If your list, it has to be the VRS estate - loads of space, but a great drive.

A4 just behind. Unless you're getting a Quattro/silly engine the VRS will be more fun.

The BMW 3 tourer has a tiny boot for an estate - certainly smaller than it's peers.

[quote name='DogHammer' timestamp='1372081051' post='2121304']
BMW 320D MSport Saloon.

Great on fuel. Looks the nuts and can fit loads of gear in it, not as much as the tourer, but good enough. I get 2 basses, 2 mike stands, 2 guitars, Mark Bass 151P, my guitarist big Marshall Stack, Numerous cables and pedal stuff.

Haven't tried to put a drum kit in it yet tho.
[/quote]

I've just got hold of the touring version of this. Loads of room and bloody quick.

Another vote for the Octavia VRS hatchback, I can get a TC Electronic 2x12 cab, Mark Bass 2x10 cab, 2 amp heads, pedal board, leads case, 2 bass guitars (even in hard cases) Mike stand, guitar stands and 2 par cans all in the boot of mine with the parcel shelf still place and I can still get all three of my fan club on the rear seats!

And it's a great fun car to drive, I get loads of comments on how good it looks and driven sensibly it will turn 50+ mpg

I used one of these for a while, same colour too. The rad cap came loose on a trip to a gig up the M11 once and it lost its water, poor little thing burnt itself out, but still got me home afterwards with a new load of water and a careful run.
[attachment=137642:kittne.jpg]

Edited by 4 Strings

I've just passed my test within this last year and bought a little Audi A2. I get my 212cab, head and pedal train mini (which sit in the scooped out foot wells behind the driver and front passenger seat. I've the rear seats out and it's like a wee minivan. Along with my bass I normally take the drummer and all his gear which is one of those big stand bags and his entire kit. There's room for more but that's all I need to lug about for gigs.

I've always really liked the Audi A2, reminds me of a baby hippopotamus in side profile, and it suits my needs perfectly! I just dig those German motors!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1372078994' post='2121266']
Shame she doesn't like MPVs.

I always use a 7-seater MPV with the rear row of seats removed and ditched, and any/all of the middle row in or out as required.

That gives a truly staggering load capacity and relatively easy access (which doesn't apply with my 5-Series Touring).
[/quote]
Yup, same thing with our Bongo. The ride position is ace, being able to see over other cars and hedges while travelling the roads of Wales is really handy and adds to safety. And even though it is big inside its foot print is no larger than an estate so it is easy to drive and park.

And it looks cool!

When our Laguna II decided to blow up its engine, we needed a new car quickly. We also decided that more space was needed for camping.
Merc E320 CDI estate. I can fit BF Super 15, LMIII, stands, cable and bits cases, power extensions, and two hard-cased basses in the boot, without any rear mirror obstruction. With the seats down, capacity appears endless.
Downside: relatively thirsty, but still over 40 mpg on any sort of run. Tax isn't cheap. Certainly made more sense than a Harley! Also, a bit of a target in the wrong neighbourhood.