Why become a member? ×

Shuker 7 string build

Finbar

Righto,

First post here, took me a while to find it! I was fatbandit on BW, but I wasn't really a big user of the place. I went down to Jon's workshop with Si (OldGit) a while back, and was really impressed with the stuff Jon was making. Finally decided to get a new bass, and thought I'd go for a custom one - might only get one chance to get such a finely built bass, after all :huh: I live in Sheffield, so it seemed logical to go with Jon :)

Anyway, we've sorted most of the stuff out by email already, but I went to Jon's place today and talked it all through, and let Jon take some neck measurements off me.

So the specs are going to be (subject to change):

7 strings (BEADGCF)
35" scale neck thru
24 frets
Birdseye maple neck - 7 piece with Birdseye maple and black veneers
Rosewood fretboard
Two way truss rod
Carbon fibre reinforcement
Jumbo frets
Graphite nut
Neck specs taken from my Conklin GTBD-7
16mm string spacing at bridge
Gotoh GB707 tuners

White ash body wings, black veneer between neck and body sides
Madrone burr drop top & back with matching headstock
Black veneer between
Polyester basecoat
Wet look gloss topcoat

Individual bridge units
Single Delano 7 string MM style bridge pickup
(Probably) passive electronics
Black hardware (cosmo black tuners, knobs)
Recessed Dunlop straplocks

The only things I'm not really sure on are...

Side LEDs - Yay or Nay? I'm leaning towards yes.
Inlays - None or Blocks? I'm still not decided on this yet

I'm going for a vaguely Stingray 5 kind of vibe with this bass, so it'll be that general body shape, with a wooden scratchplate. Still not sure what wood to use for this, but I'm going to wait until the rest of the bass is done before deciding that - it's a bit hard to picture in my mind right now how it would look.

Anyway, Jon seems like a thoroughly nice and helpful guy, so I look forward to dropping in again sometime to check on things once it's underway :huh:

What are your thoughts and impressions?

Edited by Finbar

Hey man, welcome to the Shuker family!
Looking forward to seeing this one develop, I'm pretty sure that a certain 7 string playing moderator will be more than interested!
Quick point though, I wouldn't bother with the scratchplate if I was you, unless you really think it's necessary, would be a shame to cover the Madrone burr, spose a clear plastic one wouldn't be too bad though...

I'd go with the LED's though, you might only do this once, so you may as well go the whole hog!

Sounds like this is gonna be a beast!

Cheers,
Eude

Edited by eude

Well my reasoning behind it is that I want the whole Stingray vibe really. I was going to get a painted finish originally rather than that Madrone, but I saw it and fell in love ^_^

The scratchplate will be the last thing to go on though, so I can decide if I want it or not when everything else is in place, but I think it could look quite groovy :) We shall see!

I know what you mean, I spose it'll all be determined by how close it looks to a Stingray I spose, as it could look weird without it...
However, the 20th Anniversary Stringrays don't have pickguards and they do look pretty sweet...

I am coming round to the idea of a clear pickguard though!

Cheers,
Eude

I don't really see the point in a clear scratchplate. It's not going to be there for looks, because well... there's nothing to look at :)

That anniversary Ray does look nice, you're right! But I can't help feeling it looks a little empty where the neck pup would be?

[quote name='eude' post='22456' date='Jun 23 2007, 08:15 PM']Hey man, welcome to the Shuker family!
Looking forward to seeing this one develop, I'm pretty sure that a certain 7 string playing moderator will be more than interested![/quote]

Definitely welcome to the Shuker family! I't great to see another Shuker 7 string! It's gonna be awesome mate!

Your spec looks great! I think the MM pickup will give the bass a good raspy bite and a real presence. I'm assuming that you are going with a double cutaway?

I also love burr tops.. pretty much any Burr.. but my fave is buckeye. I was even tempted to go Buckeye on my next Shuker, but I have got a taste for flip paints!

My Shuker 7 specs are also similar to (amongst other basses) the Conklin GTBD-7 that I owned. I went for the 16,, spacing, but stuck with the 34" scale.. really becasue I am used to it.

Anyway, I really look forward to seeing this thread.. mebbe I should pull my finger out and pull my old bassworld thread over here.. A job to do!

Yeah, I'm actually thinking about reconsidering the scale length before it's too late - I'm going to have a razz on my Conklin and my 35" Ibanez to see what I really want I think. Jon also commented on the odd neck dimensions of that Conklin, which I hadn't really noticed, but I am very used to it.

Yeah, it's a double cutaway. I'm none too fond of single cuts for the most part, they look really unbalanced to me. But that's the way it seems from my observations - people either love or hate them and there's very little indifference.

The burr was entirely inspired by Jean Baudin's Hideous Claw. And a piece of wood effect laminate in my local Costa Coffee :)

As for scratchplates - yes the clue's in the name, but I've never played a bass without a scratchplate that seemed like it really needed one for that purpose. So for me, it's all about the looks of it :huh: Again, personal opinion on that I think.

Well that's the general idea of them, yes. But I do that kind of chordal work with a pick in my band at the moment - I kind of double as second guitar - and it doesn't affect the finish at all. I'm sure for some people it's a practical thing (though I never see anyone replace a scratched scratchplate :) Why does it matter if you're not scratching the finish if you never see that bit because of the scratchplate?), but it's purely a cosmetic thing for me. Besides, I'd rather my basses have a few dings and scratches - they're working instruments - I use them, and I'm proud to show it :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

Had a reply from Jon today, he says he's pretty much back on track after the floodwaters now, just a week or so delay really.

Says he's found a Stingray 5 and drawn round it now, so he has an idea of the shape. Should get some line drawings of the initial outline soon. How exciting ^_^

Unfortunately, it then becomes the point where I have to part with cash ¬_¬

I'm leaning towards side LEDs strongly now. Still not sure on blocks/unmarked though :/

• 1 month later...

Jon's just back off holiday and he's sent me an outline drawing of the bass-to-be. It looks pretty good to me - nothing fancy, but just plain good looking curves :) Just like a Stingray should be. I'll post the pic when I have a little more time. Might also get a hold of a couple of pics of basses with wooden scratchplates to show y'all, so you can see that it looks cool, and I'm not just being weird about it :huh:

Edit: Here you go!

Okay, this is the rough outline from Jon:

And some wooden scratchplate examples (courtesy of the Conklin site mostly):

Just to give a better idea :huh: I really like them!

Edited by Finbar

yeh baybeee! lovin that outline! Are you going for a sculptured forearm um.. "scoop"? I quite like the cut away used on John Petrucci's signature EB guitars. My mate Andy has the 7 string and it is uber comfy.

Hey, each to his own and all that, but the wooden scratchplate thing just isn't working for me... I can't see the point of having a lovely wood facing and then covering much of it up with a slab of less interesting wood...
Apart from that, sounds like a really cool project! Will be watching this with interest. And FWIW, my vote is 'yes LEDs, no blocks'. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of a late reply o_O

Just been down to Jon's before college today and remembered the thread was here! :)

Rich - the scratchplate will be one of the last things that gets added, so I'll be able to see whether I want it or not. The shape of the SR5 plate is very pleasing to my eyes though, so it'll probably get added anyway :huh: We shall see. I think I'm also going with both blocks and LEDs now, seeing as I need fret markers (yeah, I suck), and I always think dots are a little 'tacky' maybe. And Jon said he'd throw the LEDs in, so why not :huh:

Dood - I'm not quite sure what you mean? Is it like a cut away on the tail end of the bass where your right arm would sit or something? My mate Andy has the 6 string version, I could just go and find out what you mean from looking at it, but I'm feeling a little lazy at the moment! :huh: I'll probably keep that kind of countouring to a minimum though, and just have it 'nicely curvy'. I would be tempted by the 'belly contour' or whatever it is on the Conklin I have, but I don't think it'll work with the madrone top being attached to the back.

[quote name='Finbar' post='56970' date='Sep 7 2007, 02:03 PM']Dood - I'm not quite sure what you mean? Is it like a cut away on the tail end of the bass where your right arm would sit or something? My mate Andy has the 6 string version, I could just go and find out what you mean from looking at it, but I'm feeling a little lazy at the moment! :) I'll probably keep that kind of countouring to a minimum though, and just have it 'nicely curvy'. I would be tempted by the 'belly contour' or whatever it is on the Conklin I have, but I don't think it'll work with the madrone top being attached to the back.[/quote]

Yeh, you pretty much got it there.. it's quite a deep scoop on the forearm rest. Rather comfy. I'm tempted to take the idea onto my next Shuker.

I don't think he meant 'throw in', Mike. I think it was just he'll include that all in the price (and a very good price too I think, for what it's going to be!).

I'm getting right excited about this now! But there's been very little work done so far. Hoping it's going to kick into gear soon. Don't think it'll be done for Christmas :)

Dood - I looked at your Doodle build page on your site. I'm intrigued by the way Jon cut your neck 'heel'. How does that affect the playability of it? I'm considering getting him to do the same on mine now! Though it wouldn't be quite the same on a doublecut. And how does it affect the thickness of the neck? Ooh, so many ideas :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

Hoorah!

At last, work has started :)

Just had word from Jon:

facings all sanded up
ash body sides planed and sanded to thickness, cut out and routed
rosewood board sanded up and slotted

It's not terribly exciting really, and there's nothing really exciting to look at - but it means that there's been a start ^_^