Why become a member? ×

TecAmp - Where are they?

AKAK

[quote name='AKAK' timestamp='1372198822' post='2122907']
Out of all of these the most impressive was the Ampeg, absolute stunning clarity and warmth worked amazing with a passive Jazz. Then the GK, very bright but with a bottom end, overall very nice. Didn't like the Markbass gear no matter what I tried to turn or how many times i played them, i also felt that the natural 'tone' of the bass was swallowed up by the Markbass 'tone'.

[/quote]

I'd say what you are hearing is in fact the character of the amps with the GK and Ampeg. The 'flat' sound of the Markbass is basically your bass with a little bit of warmth. The Ampeg and the GK ADD their own voice, but the Markbass leaves the bass as it is.

If you want your bass to sound like your bass, the Markbass would be the way to go, all filters off and 12 on the EQ.

I wouldn't personally go for a modern Ampeg; you are better off buying a different amp and adding a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal which will emulate the SVT tone.

Tecamps sound different again, but much closer to Markbass than the GK and Ampeg. The modern 1U Puma 500/900 sound more like a Markbass F500, eg very very quick, precise, with a little warmth added in. Again, its your bass tone it pushes. It won't make an average bass sound amazing, just like Markbass.

I'd try the following:

TC Elec RH750
Genz Benz Streamliner 900/Shuttle 9.2/Shuttlemax 9.2
Gallien MB500 / 800 and the Fusion variety of them.

The Genz Shuttle 6.2 and 9.2 will get close to the Tecamp Puma 1 U 500 and 900 but without the higher cost. Plus, Genz service is brilliant.

The colouration will be partially determined by the cab you choose.
There are basically two "types" of Puma you'll find - the older ones (500 and 1000) have a "powersoft" transformer and the newer ones something different. The newer ones can go down to a lower speaker impedance, from what I've read Musicman20's description is dead on, similar to Markbass F500.
The older powersoft era Pumas, what I have, are somewhat different having a big smooth bottom end and being somewhat fatter sounding.
Talkbass and the post of a fella called kjung are what you need to read though!

While I also don't like the "Markbass tone" I like my puma, but your gear list is interesting... lots of 15", but the one you liked was a 4x10.... maybe look at 2x10 cabs? and.... why Tecamp? they are great but if the best thing you've played is a SVT... why go towards Tecamp? (thats not a rhetorical question btw, genuinely interested)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1372269184' post='2123686']
The colouration will be partially determined by the cab you choose.
There are basically two "types" of Puma you'll find - the older ones (500 and 1000) have a "powersoft" transformer and the newer ones something different. The newer ones can go down to a lower speaker impedance, from what I've read Musicman20's description is dead on, similar to Markbass F500.
The older powersoft era Pumas, what I have, are somewhat different having a big smooth bottom end and being somewhat fatter sounding.
Talkbass and the post of a fella called kjung are what you need to read though!

While I also don't like the "Markbass tone" I like my puma, but your gear list is interesting... lots of 15", but the one you liked was a 4x10.... maybe look at 2x10 cabs? and.... why Tecamp? they are great but if the best thing you've played is a SVT... why go towards Tecamp? (thats not a rhetorical question btw, genuinely interested)
[/quote]

I have a tecamp 500 into a BF compact and midget t. It's a fantastic focused sound but a bit warmer than the newer Tecamps I have tried. Still it's a more "modern" sound, like Markbass. I actually found it closest to Genz Benz but the permutations given cabs etc mean it's difficult to pin down.

[quote name='RichF' timestamp='1372270592' post='2123708']
I have a tecamp 500 into a BF compact and midget t. It's a fantastic focused sound but a bit warmer than the newer Tecamps I have tried. Still it's a more "modern" sound, like Markbass. I actually found it closest to Genz Benz but the permutations given cabs etc mean it's difficult to pin down.
[/quote] which possibly tells you that it, like a lot of the other makes, are going for a clean modern sound... and that what cab you buy is as important as the amp

Thanks for the feedback guys, pure gold and lots of informative points.

MusicMan: I was unaware that the Markbass actually pushes out a sound more similar to the instrument, basically either i play bad, my instruments sounds bad or i EQ'd bad LOL. On a serious note, the MB Fusion was the pick of the bunch on the affordable head list. Thanks for the list, Genz Benz next to try out.

Luke: I liked the Ampeg but the cost and ultimately the portability is a big problem that is why I started searching around plus its important to widen the scope as you never know what you may find. Also, i thought it was strange the polarity in my liking of the 10"s and the 15" but the 10" worked so beautifully with the Ampeg. I enjoyed the sound of cleaner/brighter sounding heads with 15"s(10 and 15 pairings are very popular as well i have noticed). An Ampeg with 15"s must be earth shattering.

I'm in a transition from a TC Electronic RH450 head, and an Ampeg SVT-410HLF cab, to a Gallien-Krueger 700RB-ll head, and a Gallien-Krueger 212MBE-ll cab. I have no problem with the RH450 head, and the 212MBE-ll cab. I just like keeping a head, and cab matching, whenever possible.

• 1 month later...

My thrippence worth, I read a review of the TecAmp Bona Fide many years ago In the American Bass guitar mag. I thought, yes, two in dependant channels, separate in out thingies for effects, I want one. I wanted one when the UK retailer couldn't sell the quality and sold off at cheap prices reducing the perceived quality to us punters. Moving on, the way one does, I espied on this ear forum a Bona Fide with an XS112 (8Ohm) snapped 'is 'and orff i did swelpmegod. I then bought an XS115 also 8 Ohm from Session Music in Germania. What this meant is that I got a measure of headroom by virtue of the impedance as the head is 350 Watts into 4 Ohms. Times two of course and I was using 8 Ohm cabs. Still with me?

What I am trying to say is that: I am very very pleased with my Rig, it's fevver light, it's punchy ( bit like me on a Saturday night) and has excellent tone characteristics. I ( when I gig ) use a Chorus pedal thro one channel, no bass boost and an octave pedal thro the other. The sound is ( in my opinion) exceptionally, exceptional. I favoured Trace for many years as it gave me that "Sound" with my Warwick Thumb. But, even though I don't gig much this kit is the lightest, most tone expounding kit I have ever had.

I can, carry my XS115, my XS112, my TecAmp Bona Fide, my Status Streamline ( in Black) and my wriggly bag into a gig in one go. Problem is I sing so I have to Hawk the Freakin PA In as well .

Bottom line is: This kit ( in my opinion ) is absolutely great value bang for your buck. I had an AER Amp One, it was superb with my Roland Sub, changed out for this rig.

UK retailers are frightened of High End Kit, it's on the shelf, then sold as 'ex demonstration', high end products need to maintain the brand image....

I love the kit, clear as a bell, thumpy as hell.

I going for a lie Down

Edited by Oldman

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1372018852' post='2120771']
I don't think they have an official outlet here, which is insane. We go crazy over US amps, but then our close European market offers something and we don't bother.

The Bass Merchant used to be a big Tecamp dealer.

The thing with Tecamp, as with Glock, they are extremely well made and quality is no issue, so the price can be a little higher.

I once had an M212 cabinet that I should NEVER have sold...it was stunning.
[/quote]

I had an M212 as well.

I was such an idiot for selling it.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1375828051' post='2166327']
Did some investigating on this, checked prices, distribution options etc but they just stopped replying.

Maybe they don't really want a UK outlet :(
[/quote]

Yep, thats sounds like it, did a similar exercise when first saw the Bona, acquired an ex works price list, twiggy margins, a minimum order stocking plan.

It is lovely kit, I am contemplating buying a 4 Ohm XS110 so I can have a three cab rig, dont tell Mrs Blondie B)

Edited by Oldman

[quote name='Oldman' timestamp='1375854148' post='2166412']

Yep, thats sounds like it, did a similar exercise when first saw the Bona, acquired an ex works price list, twiggy margins, a minimum order stocking plan.

It is lovely kit, I am contemplating buying a 4 Ohm XS110 so I can have a three cab rig, dont tell Mrs Blondie B)
[/quote]

My replies dried up when I queried pricing structure vs, quality made in USA, competition :(

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1372264263' post='2123614']
I'd say what you are hearing is in fact the character of the amps with the GK and Ampeg. The 'flat' sound of the Markbass is basically your bass with a little bit of warmth. The Ampeg and the GK ADD their own voice, but the Markbass leaves the bass as it is.

If you want your bass to sound like your bass, the Markbass would be the way to go, all filters off and 12 on the EQ.
[/quote]

im quite enjoying this thread, i tried a puma 900 a while ago and was impressed and would like to try more out.
but i have to say i couldnt disagree with the above coment more.
i have tried many markbass heads and cabs and cannot get a tone im happy with at all
and more importantly none of the markbass rigs ever sounded like my bass.
i have recorded my basses using many methods and markbass stuff colours it more than most amps i have ever tried.
i do think the coloration is quite nice when played alone and can see why it appeals to certain kinds of players, but it aint for me.
so each to their own i suppose:^) (iv been wanting to say that for ages)

back to tecamp, i would love to see a uk distributor, especially one with a NW outlet.

I have owned and gigged a puma 500 with a s210 cab for about two years. Worked great, excellent clean sound, plenty of headroom for my gigs (pub/small club), smooth low end and high end. Only drawback for me was that I realised I liked an old school sound better, especially when using older basses. I missed the ability to dial in a little overdrive here and there, without resorting to a pedal. So i sold the rig and bought a RH450 with matching 2x12 cab, but I should have kept the puma...

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1375881502' post='2166846']
im quite enjoying this thread, i tried a puma 900 a while ago and was impressed and would like to try more out.
but i have to say i couldnt disagree with the above coment more.
i have tried many markbass heads and cabs and cannot get a tone im happy with at all
and more importantly none of the markbass rigs ever sounded like my bass.
i have recorded my basses using many methods and markbass stuff colours it more than most amps i have ever tried.
i do think the coloration is quite nice when played alone and can see why it appeals to certain kinds of players, but it aint for me.
so each to their own i suppose:^) (iv been wanting to say that for ages)

back to tecamp, i would love to see a uk distributor, especially one with a NW outlet.
[/quote]

The Markbass heads, especially the F1/F500 and LM2/3 are notoriously 'flat' compared to most amplifiers for bass. There is barely any colour; something that took me some getting used to.

The cabs however, are different. They all have their own voicings. Most the Markbass cabs have a more pronounced midrange to cut through, (although not all of them). They sound very 'punchy'.

A Markbass amp through something like a Bergantino (again, they have their own flavours, but more 'your bass' orientated) is a great sound, and its pretty much your bass.

It's night and day when you compare to something like a highly voiced GK or Ampeg amp.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1375887140' post='2166984']
The Markbass heads, especially the F1/F500 and LM2/3 are notoriously 'flat' compared to most amplifiers for bass. There is barely any colour; something that took me some getting used to.

The cabs however, are different. They all have their own voicings. Most the Markbass cabs have a more pronounced midrange to cut through, (although not all of them). They sound very 'punchy'.

A Markbass amp through something like a Bergantino (again, they have their own flavours, but more 'your bass' orientated) is a great sound, and its pretty much your bass.

It's night and day when you compare to something like a highly voiced GK or Ampeg amp.
[/quote]

i may have to try one through my barefaced S12t :^)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1375887140' post='2166984']

[/quote]
+ 1 Using a markbass f500 with markbass cabs and the lack of colouration really allows the tone of the actual bass come through, which is my kinda thing

• 1 month later...

[quote name='AKAK' timestamp='1380710376' post='2229217']
Tecamps are now being sold by Thomman at a remarkably good price and cheaper than they have ever been! :o
[/quote]

Either Thomann are selling these at very low margin or Tecamp have decided to become a bit more competitive. The two Puma heads are much more sensibly priced vs US made brands than they used to be.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1380751646' post='2230242']
Either Thomann are selling these at very low margin or Tecamp have decided to become a bit more competitive. The two Puma heads are much more sensibly priced vs US made brands than they used to be.
[/quote]

It looks as though they are using Ceramic drivers, the cab I bought was Neo, might explain the price reduction in Cabs. Maybe they have just got real!

Edited by Oldman