Why become a member? ×

So what did you do tonight...?

...because tonight I had one of the best musical experiences of my life.

I went to this:

[url="http://www.summerhall.co.uk/2013/nile-rodgers-and-indigo-night/"]http://www.summerhal...d-indigo-night/[/url]

Which turned out to be really, really cool. Nile---just Nile, and his guitar---telling stories about his life and playing some music surrounded by an ever changing selection of pop art, some of which was created on the spot by an artist. A very small gig, probably only 200 people, and most of the audience were within about 30 feet of Nile so it really did feel intimate!

Nile is a fantastic teller of tales and his guitar playing is just mindblowing when you hear it in isolation. He delved a little into some specifics on songs---for instance the reason no-one can cop "Get Lucky" is because what sounds like one guitar part is actually one rhythm guitar part layered with another single note guitar part, but done to sound like just one guitar. Or, despite "Dance, Dance, Dance", despite being in F major, the vocal melody never sings an F during the chorus. Oh, and mindlowing fact of the day? "Get Lucky" went to number one in half the countries on earth. Wow.

The whole experience would have been special enough (I had a huge grin on my face from start to finish) but to top it all off at the end of the show I met the man himself. Needless to say I was a bit starstruck (what do you say to one of your all time musical heroes other than "thanks for the music, man!"?) but Nile was a real gent.

Its on again tomorrow night as well, and all I can say is that if you're in Edinburgh and have any way of getting a ticket then beg, borrow, or steal whatever you need to do to get one.

Edited by uncle psychosis

I would have loved to go to that . I have Nile pencilled in to produce my imaginary solo album and he has agreed to do it providing he can fit it in his imaginary projects schedule . I hoping he will be able to get David Bowie to make a guest appearance doing some mime on on one particular track I am working on .

Edited by Dingus

I have never heard of him (I'm 16, I have a terrible music taste so but get angry with me please) but this does sound interesting! I bet it was great and interesting. It makes me feel bad that when I go to see band live all I do is mosh :( (I only really go to those types of concerts anyway)

I think he's a musical genius. Would have bitten off my right arm to go and see something like that in London. At the moment the only opportunity is the BST concert in Hyde Park and tickets for that are 60 quid! Chic are the only act that day that I would really see.