Why become a member? ×

Ampro Activators

Norris

Someone has given me a kit, still in original box with instructions and everything.

The "CD-J SUPER-MIX" kit contains circuit board, active/passive switch, socket and internal gubbins to convert a Fender Jazz to active. It was made by Ampro Electronics from Wallington, Surrey - circa 1987. I am NOT going to fit this to my bass - especially as it involves routing out a cavity for the battery, but wondered if anyone has ever heard of this kit, whether it is recommended and if it is worth anything.

Obviously, these days you would probably just buy an active bass in the first place. I'm not a fan of active guitars myself, having had batteries run out on me way too many times in the past (hence my old Aria is 'retired'!).

• 2 years later...

[quote name='Norris' post='213639' date='Jun 6 2008, 08:46 AM']Someone has given me a kit, still in original box with instructions and everything.

The "CD-J SUPER-MIX" kit contains circuit board, active/passive switch, socket and internal gubbins to convert a Fender Jazz to active. It was made by Ampro Electronics from Wallington, Surrey - circa 1987. I am NOT going to fit this to my bass - especially as it involves routing out a cavity for the battery, but wondered if anyone has ever heard of this kit, whether it is recommended and if it is worth anything.

Obviously, these days you would probably just buy an active bass in the first place. I'm not a fan of active guitars myself, having had batteries run out on me way too many times in the past (hence my old Aria is 'retired'!).[/quote]

Hi Norris. The Ampro Activator was a fantastic piece of kit. I used to have one fitted to a Precision Bass and the transformation was unbelievable. I believe Ampro are now out of business, and their kits are highly sought-after amongst the bass-playing cognoscenti. The down-side is that you'll probably have to route out for the 9v battery, but the results are well worth it; better than a Stingray and without the studio earthing problems! In these days of just about everything being built on a budget from cheap Chinese components, it's hard to find such a well-made piece of professional kit. If you've still got it get it installed on your bass. You won't regret it.

• 8 years later...

I knew Tim DeWhalley who made these kits, and fitted them to his own build guitars and basses. He lived in the flat below me in South Croydon at the time. The electronics are good. I had a kit fitted to a 1962 Gibson SG. Fantastic sounds. If anyone knows where he is now I would love to contact him again. I know his brother, Chas was once a music critic for NME.

Thanks @Chimike for bringing this zombie thread to my attention, and apologies to @SVTony for not noticing his reply in 2010. I had completely forgotten about the circuit. I still have it... only not in the place I thought it was. When I find it again I'll post some photos and the instructions - which is what Chimike was after. Then they will be shared with everyone :)

I plan to build myself a bass soon and it might just find its way into that if it's decent 

Thanks for the info @Chris 1