Why become a member? ×

Gallien-Krueger MB212-II 500W combo

borisbrain

Well, I finally got round to selling my hernia-inducing Ampeg SVT rig and have taken the lightweight route with this dinky little GK number. It wasn't a decision made lightly - I absolutely loved the classic tone of the Ampeg, but at 60Kg (132lbs) I just couldn't be arsed with lugging the damn thing around any more at my age, especially with some gigs in Germany coming up.

After one rehearsal I'm pretty pleased with what I've heard so far. It's a 2x12 combo, ridiculously light at only 18Kg (40-odd lbs) with neo speakers, and fits into my coupé hatchback without having to fold any seats down. Unlike the 2x10 version the speakers draw all the power from the amp - it can't be plugged into an extension cabinet (unless it's chained out into a powered cab). This makes it seriously loud. The 12" speakers are very responsive, and you can feel them shifting some serious air at very moderate volumes.

I'm still playing with the EQ settings, but the tones are deep and punchy, though clearly not as deep as an Ampeg 4x10 semi-fridge. However, the clarity and depth of sound is impressive, without some of the occasional woolliness you'd get with the Ampeg. The class D amp section features an input attenuator, gain, pre-shape switch, four-band tone controls, limiter, horn bypass, master, and a valve emulation dial for dialling in a little grunge, DI out with pre and post and a headphone socket.

Minor niggles - there's no input clip LED, and the sprayed-on finish looks a little weird. There are no side handles, just a recessed handle at the top, but it's so light as to not matter. It doesn't [i]look [/i]wildly sturdy, but I've yet to see how it actually holds up to the knocks of gigging.

So, very pleased so far. There aren't many of this GK model around in this country, and certainly not many suppliers. I bought it from Sounds Live for a very competitive price - £70 less than Thomann - and received delivery the next day. (The pictures are actually of the 2x10 version, but don't let this put you off):

[url="http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Gallien_Krueger_MB_212-II_Bass_Combo_Amplifier/GK-MB-212-II?CAWELAID=1831876106&catargetid=1821886122&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CIj6jcye9rYCFVMbtAod0jsAqA"]http://www.soundsliv...CFVMbtAod0jsAqA[/url]

Hope this is helpful to somebody,

BB

Edit 1: I should point out that I play in a punk covers band against two loud guitarists and a drummer. No probs with the amp punching through.

Edit 2: I've just noticed that Sounds Live have reduced the price since I bought one just three days ago (!). Was £609, now £599...

Edited by borisbrain

Just as a quick update - I gigged this amp for the first time last night and it was superb. Punchy, loud, but well-defined and cutting through the guitars beautifully. In fact several punters came up to me afterwards and complimented me on the new sound. And I carried all my gear back to the car in one journey...

BB

Any further thoughts on this amp borisbrain? I've been looking around and this bit of kit seems to be the best bang per buck on a combo setup. Any idea what the frequency response is like? I can't seem to find any published data anywhere. Would you say that with EQ set flat the response is pretty neutral?

I ordered the last one from Soundslive yesterday and will be taking delivery of it Tuesday (I asked them to wait till then to organise delivery).

This will be going up against my Hartke LH500 and GK NEO 112 cabs as a possible replacement so will be interested in how it compares. I love the sond of my Hartke & GK cabs, I'm just being lazy and want less to carry and setup at the gigs :P.

Will let you know how I get on once I have gigged it next weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='unol' timestamp='1372428397' post='2125666']
Any further thoughts on this amp borisbrain? I've been looking around and this bit of kit seems to be the best bang per buck on a combo setup. Any idea what the frequency response is like? I can't seem to find any published data anywhere. Would you say that with EQ set flat the response is pretty neutral?
[/quote]

Sorry Unol, only just seen your post.

Yes, I'm still very happy with the GK. I've just come back from a couple of gigs in Germany, one of which turned out to be on an outdoor stage, and much bigger than the band were anticipating. The GK easily pulled it off - without needing to run through the PA. With all the power delivered to the internal speakers it's certainly very loud, but still retains its clarity - even with the meaty tones that I tend to deliver playing in a punk covers band (more Bruce Thomas in Pump it Up than JJ Burnel in Nice & Sleazy).

I haven't played with the EQ all that much for the reasons above. However, there's a 4-band tone section (bass, lo-mid, hi-mid and treble) which when flat is indeed pretty responsive to the tones of my basses (a CIJ Precision and an MIM Jazz) along with a 'boost' control which dials in a vintage tube sound. This really whacks up the bass frequencies and to be honest I don't use it since you'll likely hear it in Belgium. The lightweight 12" speakers are responsive to picking and slapping, and certainly shift a lot of air.

The portability is incredible. We discovered with some dismay that our first German gig was up four flights of stairs. I think I'd have had to quit the band before the gig if I still had the Ampeg. The GK was a breeze.

For the sake of full disclosure I will say that it took the speakers a couple of sessions to bed in, and at one stage I was getting some disturbing crackles. Turned out this was due to a dodgy instrument lead. No problems since.

Hope this helps,

BB

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Valhalalf' timestamp='1372434033' post='2125752']
I ordered the last one from Soundslive yesterday and will be taking delivery of it Tuesday (I asked them to wait till then to organise delivery).

This will be going up against my Hartke LH500 and GK NEO 112 cabs as a possible replacement so will be interested in how it compares. I love the sond of my Hartke & GK cabs, I'm just being lazy and want less to carry and setup at the gigs :P.

Will let you know how I get on once I have gigged it next weekend.
[/quote]

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just wondered how you got on with this combo in the end?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, been away from the forums for a while.

I've still got the combo and have been gigging it solidly every weekend for neary 6 months now. It's a great bit of kit, nice and solid and fits perfectly in my focus estate boot with everything else. I can also nearly do my car trip in one go as it's so light. Really happy with the tones I get from it and the portability, setup time etc makes me and my back very happy.

The only issues I have had, and this is with digital power amps and neo speakers in general, is sometimes it does lack a bit of weight behind the sound projection. However, stick it in a corner of a pub for example to create a bass corner and you're fine. Also, if you have the ability to do so, D.I. it through the PA.

So far though I have not had to D.I. yet just to be heard in the mix, and that includes playing outdoors, a huge hall at Cambridge University and a marquee inside an army gymnasium at the weekend.

Also, my guitarist is very loud and it it'll happily go head to head with him. Most of the time I usually only need both the preamp and the master to 12 o'clock for a good gig volume. At some point I might think about buying the powered extension cab to kick it up to 1000 Watts, but not because I need the extra power.

I think the combination of price, portability, flexibility and sound is just perfect and I've not even been thinking about another amp. If you were thinking about downsizing to a lighter or smaller setup I would seriously recommend trying one of these out. I'm sure there are better, more expensive alternatives, and if you can afford them great. But I'm very happy wth my little amp.

Also, if anyone does decide to get a 2x12 combo and wants a Roqsolid cover for it, ask them to make sure it uses the customer submitted measurements. The stock one was too big so I gave them the proper dimensions to make mine and in black with black piping it's the perfect compliment to my 'Stealth Cube'.

And if anyone has any questions please gimme a shout :)

Alfie

Edited by Valhalalf

[quote name='Valhalalf' timestamp='1386608265' post='2302111']
Sorry, been away from the forums for a while.

I've still got the combo and have been gigging it solidly every weekend for neary 6 months now. It's a great bit of kit, nice and solid and fits perfectly in my focus estate boot with everything else. I can also nearly do my car trip in one go as it's so light. Really happy with the tones I get from it and the portability, setup time etc makes me and my back very happy.

The only issues I have had, and this is with digital power amps and neo speakers in general, is sometimes it does lack a bit of weight behind the sound projection. However, stick it in a corner of a pub for example to create a bass corner and you're fine. Also, if you have the ability to do so, D.I. it through the PA.

So far though I have not had to D.I. yet just to be heard in the mix, and that includes playing outdoors, a huge hall at Cambridge University and a marquee inside an army gymnasium at the weekend.

Also, my guitarist is very loud and it it'll happily go head to head with him. Most of the time I usually only need both the preamp and the master to 12 o'clock for a good gig volume. At some point I might think about buying the powered extension cab to kick it up to 1000 Watts, but not because I need the extra power.

I think the combination of price, portability, flexibility and sound is just perfect and I've not even been thinking about another amp. If you were thinking about downsizing to a lighter or smaller setup I would seriously recommend trying one of these out. I'm sure there are better, more expensive alternatives, and if you can afford them great. But I'm very happy wth my little amp.

Also, if anyone does decide to get a 2x12 combo and wants a Roqsolid cover for it, ask them to make sure it uses the customer submitted measurements. The stock one was too big so I gave them the proper dimensions to make mine and in black with black piping it's the perfect compliment to my 'Stealth Cube'.

And if anyone has any questions please gimme a shout :)

Alfie
[/quote]
Cheers, when my Marshall MB 4210 gives up the ghost, they never do when you want them too do they?, I'll get one of these, should be able to get rid of my sack trolley then :D

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ditto - really useful thread, thanks. At a price point a couple of hundred quid below the MarkBass CMD 102p, this seems like a great option for a lightweight gigging amp for smaller / mid size venues. Welcome thoughts from anyone who has A/B'd both?

• 3 months later...