Why become a member? ×

We Need Strings - Charity

tayste_2000

• 3 weeks later...

i'd donate but i badly need strings!

likewise when i saw a "bike for progress" charity i said the same, i can't buy you a bike when i need one myself.

the thing about being skint is that you still feel bad that other people are poorer but you can't do much about it personally.

Edited by Philip_

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1398426386' post='2433972']
Yes at the moment we are inundated with strings both sides of the pond, I've got about 40kg's to ship to the US at the moment.

So I think putting collections on a hold is a good thing.
[/quote]

Bummer. That's a shame. Let me know if there are any other organisations that might want them... if not, I'll chuck them.

Thanks

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1391774217' post='2361107']
Ok, to give everyone an update on this I spoke to Janek recently and basically he's been absolutely overwhelmed by the response as have we to be honest.

So if people want to continue sending the strings that's fine I'll be updating the facebook just to update everyone else.
[/quote]
I'm just off to post some now.
Jazzyvee

Well I'd like you to hold off, I've just sent the last of our strings over to Janek, he's no longer asking for donations at this time and we've said that it would be a good time for us to bow out as well.

I believe the benefit has been huge and the response overwhelming

• 2 months later...

The main website still reads that they're not currently accepting donations due to overwhelming response.

Is there any likelihood this will change in the near future? I've been sending guitar and bass strings over every few months or so and have another few sets to go. Its a shame to bin them if someone can use them.

[quote name='MothBox' timestamp='1404712119' post='2494827']
The main website still reads that they're not currently accepting donations due to overwhelming response.

Is there any likelihood this will change in the near future? I've been sending guitar and bass strings over every few months or so and have another few sets to go. Its a shame to bin them if someone can use them.
[/quote]

There is another charity doing the same, I believe. Or, alternatively, you could give your old strings to somebody you know who maybe doesn't have much money for new strings :)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='natjag' timestamp='1409180595' post='2537311']
Looks like this scheme is a victim of it's own success. I wonder what the scrap value of strings are?
[/quote]

It certainly does seem to be that!

Scrap value - £0.00! :D There's too many materials in 1 string to effectively be melted down and made into more useful things, like potato peelers, in my opinion. Maybe some wimpy, plain steel guitar strings, but not good 'ol bass strings! :D

• 1 month later...

[quote name='natjag' timestamp='1409180595' post='2537311']
Looks like this scheme is a victim of it's own success. I wonder what the scrap value of strings are?
[/quote]

If you are famous.... Go here......

[url="http://wearyourmusic.org/collections/famous-artist-bracelets"]http://wearyourmusic...rtist-bracelets[/url]