Why become a member? ×

Recommend a guitar forum similar to Basschat

ingmar808

As the title says, can anyone recommend a guitar forum with a vibe similar to Basschat?

I like the way Basschat hosts intelligent, useful and occasionally funny discussions, and has a For Sale section. There must be a guitar equivalent (or maybe not)?

Preferably UK- rather than US-based, as I prefer to minimize my exposure to words like 'dude', 'totally awesome' and 'sucks'.

The problem with all the guitar forums that I've been on is that they're overrun by either teenagers who think they know everything or guitar players who think that the amp needs to be on full tilt to get "their" sound.
Hopefully Guitarchat resolves things.

I personally think guitarchat is too long a name & should be cut down to guitchat. :yarr:

Edited by xgsjx

I've found the forum at tdpri.com to be a great resource. Its a Telecaster forum first and foremost, but I joined up long before I'd even considered buying a Tele as so many of my guitar related web searches landed me there and there was always useful information and reasonable discussion. I don't really come across any bad attitudes, 'flaming' or snobbery on there, it's a pretty friendly place. Mainly US based but there seems to be a fair contingent of UK members too.

Although its a Tele forum, there's subsections for 'Other Guitars' alongside the usual amps, effects, off topic bits. I read far more than I contribute but I'd definitely recommend checking it out. It's the nearest I've found to BC in terms of friendliness, usefulness and general lack of divvys.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1371544095' post='2115154']
I've found the forum at tdpri.com to be a great resource. ... It's the nearest I've found to BC in terms of friendliness, usefulness and general lack of divvys.
[/quote]

I agree - tdpri.com is the best of the bunch.

I thought I was missing something when looking for a UK-based guiar equivalent of Basschat. Seems not...

Reckon Guitarchat.co.uk could be a good thing: good luck with it guys.

[quote name='ingmar808' timestamp='1371548708' post='2115228']
I agree - tdpri.com is the best of the bunch.

I thought I was missing something when looking for a UK-based guiar equivalent of Basschat. Seems not...

Reckon Guitarchat.co.uk could be a good thing: good luck with it guys.
[/quote]

Thanks, we're looking at Drumchat.co.uk too. We're working with our developer now and just in the process of getting a rough estimate of the costs. We'd like them all to be a single sign-in so you can sign into any of them and use all three. As many of us play more than one instrument we thought if that's possible, it would be pretty cool. Also we're looking at updating, integrating and centralising the blog across all three sites with filterable content and the possibility for users to post their own blogs in addition to the 'official' BC/GC/DC ones...

Exciting times ahead, I can't wait until the school holidays so we can start cracking on it properly!

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1371549249' post='2115240']
Thanks, we're looking at Drumchat.co.uk too. We're working with our developer now and just in the process of getting a rough estimate of the costs. We'd like them all to be a single sign-in so you can sign into any of them and use all three. As many of us play more than one instrument we thought if that's possible, it would be pretty cool. Also we're looking at updating, integrating and centralising the blog across all three sites with filterable content and the possibility for users to post their own blogs in addition to the 'official' BC/GC/DC ones...

Exciting times ahead, I can't wait until the school holidays so we can start cracking on it properly!
[/quote]

That's brilliant, and I've just tweeted it. Ped and all others working on this, please keep us posted and, obviously, give us a shout if we can help in any way.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1371549249' post='2115240']

[/quote]

As a guitar player, and a hopeful drummer in the future, I think it would be great if you could get that to work! I find it hard to find a good forum for guitar players, and GC sounds like it could be a good one! :)

The MusicRadar forum is not bad. It's certainly not full of teenage know-it-alls. And there are some genuine experts there - pedal makers, amp makers, and professional repairers. I'd say its main problem is that it is seriously gas-inducing. ;)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1371550071' post='2115261']
As a guitar player, and a hopeful drummer in the future, I think it would be great if you could get that to work! I find it hard to find a good forum for guitar players, and GC sounds like it could be a good one! :)
[/quote]

Uh oh, I spoke too soon... :P

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1371551457' post='2115288']
The MusicRadar forum is not bad. It's certainly not full of teenage know-it-alls. And there are some genuine experts there - pedal makers, amp makers, and professional repairers. I'd say its main problem is that it is seriously gas-inducing. ;)
[/quote]

I'll have to have a look. We were lucky with Basschat because there wasn't an independent bass forum in the UK when we started out with Bassworld V1 (around mid 2002) whereas now the landscape has changed considerably. We think it'll be worth a try, though - especially as the new forums will be populated fairly quickly with multi-instruMENTALISTS from BC.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1371556580' post='2115391']
What do you mean? Were you going to have a "No Milty's allowed" stapled to the clubhouse door? :D
[/quote]

Maybe the other forums already exist and this whole thread is just a diversionary tactic :)

[/quote]

I like musicradar. I've added two or three of the village idiots to my ignore file, but most of the guys over there are sound.

The MusicRadar forum is not bad...[/quote]

But owned by Future Publishing so it [i]could[/i] be biased/manipulated for them & their customers/advertisers?
The idea of a GC and a DC being totally independent and run like BC is very appealing. I even have my drumming Brother interested in a DC and waiting to join!

There's one I frequent that I'm a founder member of - it's open to all, but has a small repeat-user group. They are all very knowledgeable & mature individuals. Occasionally a teeneager comes in, says 'Hello' then leaves after a short time realising that this isn't a platform for raving at others who don't agree with you. US based, but one or two of us elsewhere on the planet. Worth a look & an introduction:

http://www.thestringnetwork.com

G.

The lack of a decent guitar forum is something we've been aware of for some time. The Jem site seems popular too.

Most forums go through a fragile stage while they establish their own member base. So the more folks from here who can colonise both and make them pleasant and nonthreatening places to visit the better. :) It'll mean that fragile stage is made as short as possible. It will be interesting to watch how the membership expands too and I expect we might also need to find some mods at some point...!

I left Bassworld for a short lived semi acceptable go at guitar and TDPRI was a good second best (I played teles so it worked well for me - but to steal Gary's line as it's American you might think it sucks dude). Equally phases in Hofner, Orange and Gretsch had me on their very narrow focused sites which seemed to be "our brand is great...yes it is!" and everyone else then agreeing.

I came back to Basschat and without wishing to click my heels and be called Dorothy, there really is no place like home. It's not the lesser amount of strings, this is why some say it is easier to play bass!

[quote name='Noisyjon' timestamp='1371558926' post='2115461']
But owned by Future Publishing so it [i]could[/i] be biased/manipulated for them & their customers/advertisers?
[/quote]

The only real moderation that occurs at MR is the removal of spam links and the occasional spat in the OT section. Future Publishing don't seem to push any kind of editorial content on the forum at all.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1371561279' post='2115521']
So the more folks from here who can colonise both and make them pleasant and nonthreatening places to visit the better. :)
[/quote]

Sign me up. I am a strong-limbed son of the Empire and I've got my own hat.

[size=3]BassChat colonists at Pedkiwi hill-station 1898[/size]

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1371562236' post='2115544']
Sign me up. I am a strong-limbed son of the Empire and I've got my own hat.

[size=3]BassChat colonists at Pedkiwi hill-station 1898[/size]
[/quote]

Guess Hamster is in the Cheetah

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1371509206' post='2114941']
The problem with all the guitar forums that I've been on is that they're overrun by either teenagers who think they know everything or guitar players who think that the amp needs to be on full tilt to get "their" sound.
[/quote]
I totally agree. I much prefer to listen to middle aged or old people who think they know everything. :lol: