Why become a member? ×

Iron Maiden @ Donington

markbunney

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1371459774' post='2114032']
...The hurricane flying over before they started was just the icing on the cake!...[/quote]

That was just amazing and the organising that must have taken place with the East Midlands (International) Airport next door was probably a right head-ache!
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35S2lcNuDeo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35S2lcNuDeo[/url]

[quote name='markbunney' timestamp='1371287351' post='2112071']

Setlist for this tour is based on the '88 show, largely drawn from Seventh Son.

On the train on my way to Donington now and am even more excited than I was yesterday :)
[/quote]

I thought that after I posted. Is that for Donington or for the tour. It would make sense to tailor the set to the audience. So if a large group of fans from other bands are there you would play older material.

Might try to see them again, Seventh Son and Caught Somewhere in Time were the last of the truly great albums. IMO ;)

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1371249677' post='2111869']
I was there in '88 and still spare a thought for the families of those two lads that didn't live to see the end of the day's acts.
[/quote]
1988 was a nightmare - far too many people there for it to be safe. The crush even a way back from the front was pretty frightening, god knows what it must have been like where the two lads died.
I didn't even get to see Maiden - some arsehole threw a vodka bottle at me & I ended up spending quite a long time getting my badly cut left hand patched up.
I was so fed up by then I left just as Kiss were coming on & spent the rest of the day in the pub.

[quote name='jmchich' timestamp='1371464407' post='2114073']
No Aces High???
[/quote]

They did it in the encore :)

I loved it, sound was a bit off but the same goes for every other band that played Download. Best set I've seen them with, though would've been nice to see some of the hits replaced by the rest of the original Maiden England set (Still Life,Die With Your Boots On, Killers etc).

Sod buying any of that Trooper beer though - £4.50 and you only get a poxy little bottle of it? Nuh-uh.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1371474435' post='2114235']
1988 was a nightmare - far too many people there for it to be safe. The crush even a way back from the front was pretty frightening, god knows what it must have been like where the two lads died.
I didn't even get to see Maiden - some arsehole threw a vodka bottle at me & I ended up spending quite a long time getting my badly cut left hand patched up.
I was so fed up by then I left just as Kiss were coming on & spent the rest of the day in the pub.
[/quote]

Me and a mate were reasonably close to the front when GnR played so we couldn't have been that far from the tragedy though we didn't see anything ourselves, we could see it was getting worse though so as more and more people moved forward we did the opposite and got further back. The crowds were so big and unruly that by the time Maiden came on we were way back close to the Dunlop bridge! We saw the whole show though, in fact iirc I've never seen Maiden play since. I don't think I saw any of the acts that were on again after that day apart from Dave Lee Roth.
Edit - more photos etc from the 1988 festival here;
[url="http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/donington-1988-vftmud.html"]http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/donington-1988-vftmud.html[/url]

Edited by KevB

Did the whole weekend, and I was also there for 88 and 92. Actually quite pleased that I still could fit into my 'Clairvoyant' T-shirt that I bought there in 88 and was able to take it back 25 years later! (It must have stretched a bit.)

A good Maiden set, the sound a bit muffled and suffered from the wind (particularly Nicko.)

If anyone just went for the Saturday though or left before the end, then you missed Rammstein, who put on another God-like performance. Absolutely, hands down, the live show to see (even if you don't know their stuff.)

I'll echo the above, good show - but the greatness was lost in the wind! Sounded muffled on occasion.

Rammstein were good also - but the best work was done in the Pepsi tent: Red Fang, Kvelertak, The Sword, Hang the Bastard, Newsted, Uncle Acid and the deadbeats.

Sure, none of them had the stage props, but they brought a lot more energy than some of the bigger acts!

There were good bands all over, I saw Krokodil (great band, vocals let them down, all that shouting is so last decade.. :rolleyes: ), Little Ceasar and Turisas in the Pepsi, also caught I am I in the Red Bull.

Only bands I saw that didn't have something going for them (imho of course) were Slipknot and 30 Seconds to Mars. To be fair to the 'knot I only saw the tail end of their set as I'd watched Black Stone Cherry (awesome.)

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1371500726' post='2114799']
Only bands I saw that didn't have something going for them (imho of course) were Slipknot and 30 Seconds to Mars. To be fair to the 'knot I only saw the tail end of their set as I'd watched Black Stone Cherry (awesome.)
[/quote]

I'd agree - had a casual interest in Slipknot for years so was excited to see them, but left to go see BSC after about eight songs cos they just weren't doing anything for me. Whereas Black Stone Cherry were absolutely excellent, great fun and a nice end to the Friday.

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1371490647' post='2114534']
Fair enough. My mistake- the squared off wings put me in mind of the hurricane
[/quote]

Sorry mate, I didn't mean that to come across as snotty or nerdy. It's just that, I used to work on BBMF and watched that aircraft being built virtually from scratch :)

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1371499515' post='2114767']
I'll echo the above, good show - but the greatness was lost in the wind! Sounded muffled on occasion.

Rammstein were good also - but the best work was done in the Pepsi tent: Red Fang, Kvelertak, The Sword, Hang the Bastard, Newsted, Uncle Acid and the deadbeats.

Sure, none of them had the stage props, but they brought a lot more energy than some of the bigger acts!
[/quote]

Pepsi Max stage was my favourite this festival. The sound was absolutely perfect for The Sword, Uncle Acid and Red Fang. Loud as hell too, just what a stoner rock show needs.

Red Bull stage had some gems too. Free Fall, Black Moth, Buffalo Summer and Sky Valley Mistress were all fantastic sets, again with great sound!