Why become a member? ×

The double P pickup bass thread.

hamfist

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1441989774' post='2863626']
The reversed P setup is quite common on MIJ basses - which I believe the NJs are. Makes a lot more sense to me, and I do think the reverse Ps I've owned/played sound more tonally balanced across the strings than a standard P setup.

Anyway - back on topic, I've never owned a double P bass (must be the only pickup configuration I haven't) and I really need to sort that out. There is very probably a Westone Thunder II in my future.

Or a Balogh Odyssey. So much GAS... :ph34r:

Jon.
[/quote]
[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1448134064' post='2913284']
The two Aria SB-R80s (or SB-Elite IIs - same thing, AFAIK!) are Matsumoku.

The Attila Balogh Odyssey is a Canadian - made rarity - Flat Eric has (at least) two - which is just plain greedy! :P

Jon.
[/quote]

As you say Jon, Very Rare - still looking for another one!!

Without doubt, in the last 5 - 6 years, The Most Gigged Bass!!

The Double P does it for me and the Odyssey presses all the right buttons.
Don't get me wrong, I still play the others - is fact my current squeeze is an Ibanez RB650 - I just love Ibanez.

One of my projects next year is to to Double P and Fender Japan 70's P, which I got from here, it was call "Sid" - White with
black guard - it will have two cream DiMarzio.
Will keep you posted.

Cheers. :)

I joined the ranks of the double P last year,this Mockingbird was on Edinburgh Gumtree priced for a quick sale :)
But I was working in Kent for 2 weeks :( Didn't look at Gumtree again till the night I travelled home,was amazed it was still there.
Was home,had a kip,nipped through to Edinburgh and back for it, all within 12 hours of crossing the border.

[attachment=205671:Mockingbird (2).jpg]

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1448134064' post='2913284']
The two Aria SB-R80s (or SB-Elite IIs - same thing, AFAIK!) are Matsumoku.
[/quote]

Aaaaand - it's Pedantic Self-Correction Time!

They're not Matsumoku - and neither are they SB-R80s or indeed SB-Elite IIs.

They are late 80s, post-Matsumoku SB-ELTs. Still MIJ, but probably (from what I can find out) Tokai Gakki builds. No serial number makes these a bit hard to pin down, though.

How do I know? I've been & gone & impulse-bought one myself, fulfilling a long-held need to own a through-neck SB, and - possibly - the urge to own a double-P bass. No decent pics yet, but here's a rubbish one:

[url="http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/LanterneRouge/media/Aria%20Pro%20II%20SB-ELT/SB-ELT002_zps1flyc15n.jpg.html"][/url]

What's cool is that I have also got a project 1983 SB-Elite I (which needs a lot of work!) from the Matsumoku era, so I can make a direct comparison.

The most noticeable real difference is the neck - the SB-Elite has a quite Precision-y neck, 42mm at the nut, whereas the SB-ELT is a skinny 38mm. Most of the other differences are cosmetic - the inlays are tidier on the later bass & the Matsumoku has a recess for the output jack.

Hardware's a little different too - the bridge on the SB-ELT is machined, while the SB-Elite's is cast, and the control knobs are generic plastic instead of the unobtainable machined metal ones used by Matsumoku.

Controls on the SB-ELT are v/v/t with coil split switches, whereas the SB-R80 or SB-Elite II had 2x stacked v/t, rotary selector + coil switching.

Anyone still awake? :lol:

Edited by Bassassin

Here is my double p style bass.
Alembic elan all maple body quilted maple top, maple neck with ebony fretboard.
Extremely versatile bass and so punchy.
[url="http://alembic.com/club/messages/411/120441.jpg"]http://alembic.com/c.../411/120441.jpg[/url]

Edited by jazzyvee

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1498347086' post='3324036']
Recently joined the double P pickup people with the Peavey TL-6. Still no idea what I'm doing owning a 6 string but hey-ho nothing new there :)
[attachment=247814:TL 6.jpg]
[/quote]

Too many strings but :o

I want one.

• 3 years later...

I’m reviving this thread as I’ve been watching too many Lee Sklar videos on YouTube, and now I want a double P setup in my collection. What current double P options are out there, or am I better off getting a P and routing for an additional pickup?

Edited by therealting

This thread popped up again, and I realised i didn't post my build picks - so here are a few 

Shuker Build course bass  =  Ash slab body + contours - maple neck - Paduk board _ Vol + Treb for each Pup

Note - I wanted to make a reverse P bass so decided to reverse the head stock as well and pup positions with bass pups nearer bridge to tighten bottom end and treble pups forward to mellow the bite a little. Very pleased with my first bass great neck.

My vision was between a Dusty Hill meets Lee Sklar type of bass

IMG_2798.JPG

IMG_2800.JPG

IMG_2801.JPG

IMG_14091.jpg

Edited by deepbass5
  • Like 3

I’ve been a proud owner of a couple of double p basses for a little while. 
I’m told my Kramer has a twin p config and has a multitude of pup configured since it has a varitone switch. 
I have also been rocking a dual p mockingbird for a couple of years- as well as lusting after another mock and eagle and warlock ( all with the same combination! 😳
as previously noted, the bridge pup adds meat to any j in that position. Huge tones available. 

E365A495-A337-4E4E-BC1C-C7A46CFE0B16.jpeg

• Like 1

Deffo +1 for the Mockingbird. If you can't stretch to a US-made example, check out the NJ range made in Japan (NOT in New Jersey ... NJ stands for Nagoya, Japan).

Also be aware that the older Japanese examples have the 'reversed' humbucker, like my old one:

19905694_NBDBCRich-body(1).thumb.JPG.4c254711888f114e1e1982e441d767bf.JPG

The recent/current version has the more normal Precision layout for the pickup.