Why become a member? ×

Recomended Bass notation books

Pbassred

We appear to be missing a technique or tuition forum here. So when we get one, how about this as a sticky:-

Having looked through many music notation books it seems that most are written for piano (Bass is written one octave up from the actual pitch.). I include Motown classics books. Since good notation books are a rairity, We should have a list of books that actually get it right.

Note:- I don't mean tutor books. That's worth a list on its own.

Usually I find it's not the notation thats wrong its the Bloody awful TAB thats been done underneath. Not that I'm a purist, it's just that these books are expensive. You think a little time and effort wouldn't go a miss to get it right.

:) I've been giving my pupils the benefit of Ed Friedlands Complete Bass Method published by Hal Leonard. It features loads of exercises in standard notation with no tab in sight.Incredible how they cope when you remove the safety net!!!!That and Crash Course by Stuart Clayton.Great for the beginner with gradual increase in difficulty

[quote name='mic mac moe' post='2556' date='May 19 2007, 11:44 PM']:) I've been giving my pupils the benefit of Ed Friedlands Complete Bass Method published by Hal Leonard. It features loads of exercises in standard notation with no tab in sight.Incredible how they cope when you remove the safety net!!!!That and Crash Course by Stuart Clayton.Great for the beginner with gradual increase in difficulty[/quote]

I've bought that and not used it yet.

---

Original poster:

Depending on your preference,

you might want to try out a Carol Kaye book. She does music books and tutor books all in notation.

Paul.

:)
I have a couple of books of arrangements of familiar songs, one Beatles etc done for cello and one some classical double bass. The cello one is good far an alternative read as it gives an approximation to the melody in bass clef. Can't remember its name at the moment. I picked it up in a charity shop for a song ( :huh: sorry).

[quote]Here's a few I'd recommend:

Music Reading for Bass by Wendi Hreovcsik (MI Publications)
The Working Bassists Tool Kit & Building Walking Bass Lines by Ed Friedland
Funk Bass by Jon Liebman.[/quote]
[quote]Note:- I don't mean tutor books. That's worth a list on its own[/quote]

I was thinking more about books with songs in them ( that we might know).

[quote name='Pbassred' post='3115' date='May 20 2007, 10:36 PM']I was thinking more about books with songs in them ( that we might know).[/quote]

Check out my publishing site www.basslinepublishing.com. We do a series of Level 42 books, KISS books and have a Stu Hamm book coming out next month. Not the biggest range in the world at the moment, but we're working on it, and there are plans for a Red Hot Chili Peppers book (covering early stuff), a Bernard Edwards book and a general bass theory book.

Aside from that, Simon Merrick published some Jamiroquai books (which I think are currently sold out), and I'd recommend checking out the Bass Tab White Pages (TONS of stuff), the Jaco books, and there's some great Hal Leonard books with playalong CD's that are well worth a look.

Cheers
Stu

Good luck with the site Stu it looks good. Perhaps you should run an ebay site too. That Bernard Edwards book will be great went you get it (if its notation). I'm not so interested in tab by itself, though alongside notation its great. (I know that this could open up the whole tab versus notation debate but they each have their place.)

It would be great to be able to just pick up individual song scores.

Do bass scores even exist? Would that be a bussines for someone? No better way to become proficient than to write each line out, but I expect that there would be troubles with publishing houses .

Edited by Pbassred

Are you talking about books void of TAB?

If so, I'd like to see a lot more in this thread as I can't stand TAB!

Thankyou DR. Licks for SITSOM.

I too think this should be stickied and relevant material should be hunted down.

That's my tuppence.

I've already mentioned Carol Kaye, don't the "Real" (jazz, blues) have the basslines in those? You often just need transpose to the right key.

You could also try shying a way from popular music as it can be seen as less musically serious (not my prejudice) and therefore, include TAB. Look out for Jazz and Cuban and other less mainstream genres.

When I was having lessons, my teacher had a book that had the melody and bass all in bass clef! It featured the songs of Herbie Hancock and Duke Ellington. Oh what I'd do to get my hands on that book now!

Cheers,

Paul.

---

You mentioned Motown classics books being for Piano, well a lot aren't but in the "Motown Hits of Gold" series and "Soul Survivors" there is plenty of basslines within those (Tracks of My Tears, I Get the Sweetest Feeling and many more), if not precious chord charts. My local library also has a huge Soul book which I plan to scan in at some point.

[quote name='Pbassred' post='5634' date='May 24 2007, 11:54 AM']Good luck with the site Stu it looks good. Perhaps you should run an ebay site too. That Bernard Edwards book will be great went you get it (if its notation). I'm not so interested in tab by itself, though alongside notation its great. (I know that this could open up the whole tab versus notation debate but they each have their place.)

It would be great to be able to just pick up individual song scores.

Do bass scores even exist? Would that be a bussines for someone? No better way to become proficient than to write each line out, but I expect that there would be troubles with publishing houses .[/quote]

Thanks - I'm working on finding out about the Bernard Edwards book at the moment. All the books I publish are in standard notation AND tab - while i obviously prefer notation, you have to include tab in order to reach the widest audience.

Glad you liked the site!

Stu

I forgot to add, I have this on order:

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Funkmasters-Rhythm-Sections-1960-73-Guitar/dp/1576234436/ref=sr_1_6/202-9301154-2827032?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1180014861&sr=8-6"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Funkmasters-Rhythm...4861&sr=8-6[/url]

I expect it to be another Allan Slutsky masterpiece. I'll let you know when it comes.

Guest subaudio

[quote name='paul, the' post='5658' date='May 24 2007, 12:37 PM']When I was having lessons, my teacher had a book that had the melody and bass all in bass clef! It featured the songs of Herbie Hancock and Duke Ellington. Oh what I'd do to get my hands on that book now![/quote]

Would that be the real book?

[quote name='subaudio' post='5801' date='May 24 2007, 03:01 PM']Would that be the real book?[/quote]

Oh! Could be :)

No it wasn't, it wasn't in the real books 'distinct' style.

I have the real books on my old PC, if I can get it working I'll check again.

paul.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='iamthewalrus' post='3083' date='May 20 2007, 02:11 PM']Here's a few I'd recommend:

Music Reading for Bass by Wendi Hreovcsik (MI Publications)

The Working Bassists Tool Kit & Building Walking Bass Lines by Ed Friedland

Funk Bass by Jon Liebman.

Cheers,
iamthewalrus[/quote]

Thank you!

Jon Liebman
www.JonLiebman.com

[quote name='Pbassred' post='1411' date='May 18 2007, 12:55 PM']Having looked through many music notation books it seems that most are written for piano (Bass is written one octave up from the actual pitch.).[/quote]
You don't like it being transposed an octave? It makes sense to me - why put everything on ledger lines below the staff when its so much easier to read (and tidier) if written an octave higher.

Edited by Eight