Why become a member? ×

Who can build me a pedal with just the filter section from a EHX bass Microsynth

matybigfro

I really love the filter section of the old Electro Harmonix Bass MicroSynth with the Sliders to control Trigger, Attack Delay, Resonance, Start Freq, stop Freq and Rate but don't need the Square wave, or octave voice controls as I have Octave and fuzz pedals that take care of that. I can't see any Filter pedal onthe market that gives similar performance to the Microsynth but buying the EHX for only half it's functionality seems pretty much a bit of a waste or overspend

Anyone here who could knock this together for me or point me int he direction of a builder that has teh skilzz for it?

Edited by matybigfro

I had a look at the MS schematic - the square wave and octave circuitry 'savings' would only be a handful of components as these outputs are kind of 'side effects' from the processing the rest of the pedal does. It would be cheaper to buy a MS and rehouse it without those controls than to do a one-off custom project.

[quote name='OzMike' timestamp='1370931045' post='2107482']
I had a look at the MS schematic - the square wave and octave circuitry 'savings' would only be a handful of components as these outputs are kind of 'side effects' from the processing the rest of the pedal does.[/quote]

Well that's disappointing. I've opened up a few to do mods and there's two massive boards in there, one on top of the other, so there's no practical way to rehouse it in anything significantly smaller if most of that circuitry is necessary for the filter and envelope trigger.

I've uploaded an annotated version of the relevant part of the schematic here, with the octave output slider section circled, and the square output slider section 'squared':
[url="http://prophecysound.com/etc/bsynth1_annotated.pdf"]schematic[/url]

The (4) and (5) lead to the VCF - you can see there's not much 'savings' from eliminating these parts. OTOH, there's not much being 'wasted' by having and not using them! :)

If you really wanted this project to happen, your best bet might be to find a few others who are also interested and approach a builder. This would let the builder spread the design work, PCB costs etc across more than just one end unit, and without them taking on the 'risk' of trying to make it a commercial product.

• 4 years later...
On 6/10/2013 at 11:15, matybigfro said:

I really love the filter section of the old Electro Harmonix Bass MicroSynth with the Sliders to control Trigger, Attack Delay, Resonance, Start Freq, stop Freq and Rate but don't need the Square wave, or octave voice controls as I have Octave and fuzz pedals that take care of that. I can't see any Filter pedal onthe market that gives similar performance to the Microsynth but buying the EHX for only half it's functionality seems pretty much a bit of a waste or overspend

Anyone here who could knock this together for me or point me int he direction of a builder that has teh skilzz for it?

Thread resurrection. I've had this very thought recently. Tom at Cog Effects would be my first port of call.