Why become a member? ×

An Interesting Days Recording

Low End Bee

Our regular engineer mixer man is so busy jetting off around the world doing properly paid work that we have to wait months to use him.So we went to a new studio for our next EP.
The chap said he liked our stuff and he'd produce as well as engineer if we wanted. We had a listen to stuff he'd done before and it sounded up our street. Lively, band in a room with a bit of old school warmth.
We had a band meeting and decided what the hell. We'd let him do whatever he wanted on this one. We thought it may take the pressure off us and make recording more relaxing and fun. Our normal man will just ask us if we're happy. and we kind of self produce with little feedback.
He got the drummer to tune up how he wanted. He twiddled with the guitarists amp without any interjection. I left my usual Sansamp in it's case and went through some modded old valve DI. All I said to him was I normally like a bit of grit in my sound.
Through the cans it sounded very clean but this definition helped. On play back I was a bit thrown as the bass had drive but sounded much fatter than I would live. In the mix I liked it though.
We all agreed it was more fun leaving decisions to someone else and having helpful suggestions and positive encouragement.
There were lots of bits of valvey and vintagey kit used, Whether this will make us sound awesome is a moot point but it certainly puts a smile on your face and feels cool .
We're putting the vocals down tomorrow and should have the mixed results by the end of the week. I can't wait. It must be nice to have a big budget and spread this over a few days though. I was knackered last night.

[quote name='Rimskidog' timestamp='1370977701' post='2108261']
Yup. When you work with a decent producer/engineer you generally end up with a much better product than if you self produce (there's a reason record labels require their bands to work with established cats)
[/quote]

Absolutely. I've done a fair job in the past and have a good ear for arrangements I think but I don't have an outsiders view or bags of experience. We had a great final session yesterday. Lots of suggestions on vocals and harmonies which really added to the songs. He won me over when we he pulled me aside so we could discuss at length how the bass should sound. This could be because I bought in the biscuits which he scoffed though. The songs sound great at the moment and there not even mixed yet.

• 2 months later...

And here's the result of that day. 4 tracks available on iTunes, Amazon, etc. Plus physical CDs.I've been told it's on Spotify too if any of you listen like that.

Sounds a bit different to the last 3. The tracks are much more balanced to each other if you get my drift. All concern the darker side of London life. It's a power pop concept EP....

As I said, we let the producer have a free reign on this one. He came up with lots of good ideas and we listened to what each other was saying during the mixing process. This was by far the most fun to work on. I've got a very old school sitting in the mix bass sound on this one. All done through the ancient valve DI and a a 70s 24 track mixer amongst other engineering electrickery. The bass is not like my usual sound at all to my ears. I like it though.

[url="http://thejetsonics.com/fr_home.cfm"]http://thejetsonics.com/fr_home.cfm[/url]