Why become a member? ×

Eagles documentary on tv last night.....

the boy

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1370772120' post='2105249']
I really enjoyed it. I've never been much of an Eagles fan, it was music my parents listened to when I was little. After last night I'm going to listen to more (still can't stand Hotel California though).
[/quote]
I love hotel California, it makes the hairs stand on the back of my neck.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/206942-the-history-of-the-eagles-new-dvd/page__fromsearch__1"]Here's a thread from when it was first released on DVD...[/url]

Strangely, in contrast to the OP, I think it's quite clear that it's Frey's band. Henley holds a veto.

I do enjoy these 'mostly' BBC4 band docu's, there's always so much I/we never knew about going on at the time, I/we just turned on tuned in & enjoyed the music B)

We say every time though - that was all part of an era in music - that will never be repeated or bettered. <_<

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1370774147' post='2105279']

I was completely overdosed on it as a child.
[/quote]
I understand totally mate. I'm not even a fan but it has to be one of my favourite guiar solos of all time. I even dusted down my guitar after watching the show and had a bash.

Am half way through, lovin the early years insights!

I bought the blu ray import with the concert footage and it's a region I can't play on my older machine, I think it's us only, does anyone have a machine that will play it that'd care to buy it off me?

I settled down just before this programme was about to start with my half of shandy and packet of cheese and onion crisps eagerly awaiting to see one of my favourite UK groups only to find that it was about some lot from America that i've never heard of. They even had vocals, something that the 1960s The Eagles, one of the UK's finest exponents of guitar instrumental music would never have stooped to.
Alas, the only thing i could do was to watch this and remind me of those wonderful twanging guitars.

http://youtu.be/Kjf7CIBqLGU

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1370777201' post='2105322']

Agreed....... Catch it on Iplayer.
[/quote]Just watched it on t' player. As they say on Planet Rock everyday is a little better with some Joe Walsh in it. His joining the Eagles may have been brilliant for his bank balance (minus damage invoices) but how many more solo albums would we have treated to if he'd stayed on his own? Having said that he has been quite prolific, but I love So What, Smoker You Drink....., You Can't Argue...., But Seriously Folks; all wonderful, new stuff sounds good too.

I love his quote on the Farewell one Melbourne show where he says "Have you ever had a favourite thing you liked to do and had to stop? - My favourite thing was drinking alcohol. I only got drunk once for twenty years!" :D

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='Mickeyboro' timestamp='1370798360' post='2105685']
Has Joe had a stroke? He certainly had trouble getting his words out.
[/quote]
It's his top lip. It's about a foot long. It's always been that way. It looks like he's had a stroke alright but it's normal for him.

It was a good programme. Watched the second half last night, which was less interesting mainly because I already was familiar with their later story.

Yes, Frey did come across as a bit of a [email="tw@t"]tw@t[/email], but then again is it really all that surprising that a band with 4/5 members has a leader of some description? Some of their ex and current members did appear to have a lot of bitterness and issues too - which is a shame as the sweet vocal harmonies kind of imply that all was sweetness and harmony in the band too...!

They did produce a lot of mediocre MOR musical wallpaper, but when they got it right - wow! B)

Edited by Conan

Henley comes across as very lucid and reasonably normal but then there's a steely glint in his eyes that makes me think he's not the sort of bloke you'd want to cross. I can understand Felder's position to some degree but he didn't do himself any favours after the reunion despite clearly not being on Frey's xmas card list during the final years of his original involvement.

Just watching both parts of this...

Part 1 is fantastic, interesting and full of great music. And a good origin story is always entertaining.

Part 2 - what a complete waste of time. Added nothing other than a reminder of why when bands call it a day they should keep it that way. Dull.