Why become a member? ×

Cheap basses .... I've seen the light !

hamfist

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1370789734' post='2105522']
Why does anyone buy a Mercedes or BMW when there are perfectly good Fords and Vauxhalls out there?

A lot of players can't hear or feel the difference between a Sadowsky and a Squier.

That's fine. Their buying decisions should be based on what the can hear. Any more would be a waste of money.

On the other hand I'm a fan of the "because you can" approach to life.

One-upmanship exists for a reason!
[/quote]

Not everyone is so easily impressed, especially by a BMW or Mercedes :rolleyes: .

Its sad that somebody judges themselves by 'disposable' posessions, or chooses to make a purchase on the premis that it may impress "the next door neighbour". What a terrible and unwholesome way to live. Instead, put a value on your intelligence :)

Edited by mentalextra

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1370789796' post='2105524']
this week......................................
[/quote]

Absolutely ! My opinion is definitely only valid for one week. Things change far too quickly in my bass equipment life to commit for any longer than that.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1370790193' post='2105529']
Agreed as to the part of there existing lots of great cheap basses, and I love that aspect. I love quirky and I love cheap.

But a noob like me is more secure picking up a new Fodera or Music Man than picking up a new Squier or Epiphone.
(mind ya, I have three Squiers that I'm very, very enthusiastic about)

Also, while us noobs will not make a high quality bass sound consistently well, from that notion there's no logical line that commands that we're deaf, stupid and without ability to notice stuff in addition.
Whilst I love my Daisy Rock, it is clearly the lesser bass compared to my Bongo, and that goes for sound, pre-setup playability, ergonomics, feel, the smoothness of the knobs ... everything.

My cheapest bass was £69.
Great!
My most expensive one was slightly more ... er ... expensive though ....
Great, that too.

best,
bert
[/quote]

You've got 2,200 posts! Hardly a noob. Or, have you signed in on the wrong account! :D

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1370782647' post='2105427']
I might also suggest that higher-end basses have a higher level of functionality and greater flexibility due to higher quality EQs or more pickups etc etc. That's worth a lot of money to some people!

Truckstop
[/quote]

My cheap Peavey has the same preamp and pups as their top of the range basses - one of the main reasons I bought it.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1370790311' post='2105531']
Isn't Daisy Rock a girls bass ?
[/quote]

Don't mention it to [i]anyone[/i], but I have very little testosterone. ;)
They're relatively well-built and well-sounding 30" scale basses, and I don't give a rat's ass about the girlie looks - or often even prefer the quirkiness of the whole concept. Mine's a flower. Luvverly.

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1370792064' post='2105547']
You've got 2,200 posts! Hardly a noob. Or, have you signed in on the wrong account! :D
[/quote]

Hehehe.
As you gathered, those 2,200 posts is why I'm still a noob. Should really be practising instead.

b,
b

Edited by BassTractor

Recently aquired an as-New+used bass for what I consider a bargain. And its the first I've brought in over 2 years.

I haven't paid more the 500 notes for a bass in about 4 years now. I still lust for expensive stuff but I can't afford them, and would rather have a bargain that does what I want than something I'm afraid to use.

There is also a point when price starts exceeding how good a bass can be, and questionably how good can a bass get. If the wood is solid, the electronics are working and its comfortable and sounds how you want everything else is peacock feathers.

For me that price is £500

I recently sold my Warwick Streamer Stage 1 5 string (RRP £4029.00) to raise some cash but to ease my pain decided to get myself a cheaper 6 string with part of the proceeds. Ended up getting a Cort Artisan A6 (RRP £799.00) which whilst not quite a budget bass is still Just 20% of the cost of the Warwick and Cort are certainly not a prestige brand. Imagine my surprise when I found that I genuinely prefer the Cort for playability and sound. Sure the flamed maple on the Warwick was more highly figured and the body more contoured but the Cort is still a very classy looking instrument IMHO!

I've never spent more than £280 on a bass, and the ones which have stayed with me all cost £200 or less. I'd love to own a USA Fender or a real EB Stingray one day mind, but for now it's all about a bass which cost £150 and a rig which cost £1500, certainly [i]never[/i] the other way around.

Great thread Hammy.
Certainly let you ears let you decide what to buy, cheap or expensive. I just wonder if the name on the headstock affects some peoples hearing a tad.
Personally I love a bargain and I want another 4 string, but rather concerned that I might end up with a cheap wrong 'un. Maybe comfort is more important than tone - tone you can alter with amps and pedals, comfort you can't.

I've owned over 65 basses, from a pretty wide price range. I've got to say I've also found that I've realised that the expensive basses don't bring 'that' much extra to the table all things considered. In terms of detectable tonal quality in a live setting or buried in a mix, and certainly not to Joe Public. The fit, finish and ergonomics have generally been better, but not always. Not by a long way. I've owned some very poorly made warwicks and some flawless squiers.
I did enjoy the kudos of owning say, a top notch ray or status or Warwick etc. which is part of the experience of ownership that comes with the price tag. I'm a confident enough player to not worry too much about brand, as long as a bass can be set up to my requirements. Which, again, I've found impossible on some basses at both ends of the scale.
Ultimately. After over 65 basses owned Ive settled on two passive, modded, Japanese fender jazz basses and a tanglewood as my perfect three. Any one of them can be made to cover most tones I'm likely to require, 'stingray' 'p bass' 'old school thump' 'hi-fi' etc. it's in the fingers, amp and settings for much more than the actual bass.
I've also found budget, simple basses tend to record HUGELY better and more effectively than hi tech active ones, my worst recorded tones have always been with actives, and vice versa. Many producers have steered me back to my jazz bass over the years. It just works quickly, predictably and well.
Everyone finds their voice in a different way.
I'll always remember watching Fred Baker on his squier ;)
All IME. IMHO. Etc.

Edited by gafbass02

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1370894973' post='2107163']
I've never spent more than £280 on a bass, and the ones which have stayed with me all cost £200 or less. I'd love to own a USA Fender or a real EB Stingray one day mind, but for now it's all about a bass which cost £150 and a rig which cost £1500, certainly [i]never[/i] the other way around.
[/quote]

Totally. Hence my endorsement :P when you can get a pretty much pro-quality bass (okay, the setup might need a little fettling and if you're a real tone-hound maybe an electronics swap) for less than three hundred quid, I struggle to see the need to pay more to have the 'right' name on the headstock. I'd rather put my money into having hundreds of Watts behind me ;)

in my very limited experience when I was shopping around for buying my first bass, I played some that were £150 and some that were £600 to help me understand the differences and feels.

It was a mixed bag and I was really surprised - there were a couple of £500 basses which played and sounded worse than some of the £200 and the only guitar I preferred to my purchase of an Ibanez SR300 was an SR600 which was around double the price of mine and that was mainly because of the better finish - though there was a difference in sound too.

I think it is only worth spending money if you can't achieve the sound or tone you want with something at a lower price (or if you can afford it and want to treat yourself!). There is nothing wrong with spending big money on certain guitars as long as you don't do it for credibility or hoping it will make you a better player! B)

Edited by Jonnyboy Rotten

With all due respect, £600 is not high-end and neither are U.S Fenders.

I'd say a hi-end bass is £2000 starting... but that is not to say they will be the be-all and end-all
even then.

It depends where you position hi-end yourself,

[quote name='fender73' timestamp='1370964947' post='2108031']
Squier CV Jazz. Case closed.

I lust after high end gear, but when it comes down to it, I gig my CV weekly and it does evrrything I need. Its all in the set up for me.
[/quote]

[size=4][font=Arial]I couldn’t agree more. I have a Squier CV Jazz that I got in January of last year, and it’s my main gigging bass. I installed DiMarzio Model J pickups, as they’re my preference in Jazz basses. It’s just a fabulous bass and the total cost was $450 USD, which includes $100 for the DiMarzio’s.[/font]

[font=Arial]Tom[/font][/size]

Try them all; pick the one you like; and then just pay whatever the priced on the tag is.

If it's expensive, so be it. If it's cheap, you buy the beers with the change.

There's an added dimension in that some people will bundle up perceived prestige in their liking - but that's ok. You have to have something that works for you, be it Kia or Audi, to borrow Chris' car analogy.

I am not a fantastic player and dont know a great deal about effects I am going down the effects road now and they sure make a difference I just think its like everything else in life it is up to the individual what they buy wether it be cheap or dear if they like it then so be it, I can understand someone who earns there living playing the bass or whatever spending a few grand on a bass as it is the tool of there trade but for someone like me who just plays a bit at home for my own pleasure a few hundred is more than enough to spend besides if I had a 2 grand bass (even if I could afford one) I couldn't make it sound alot better than a £200 bass I think I would also be afraid to use a 2 grand bass, personally I think the most I would ever spend on a bass is £500 but each to there own I say :)