Why become a member? ×

Possibly the finest Shuker ever ??

ZenBasses

That shape is fantastic!

What I don't like though is the fact that the facings don't cover the whole of the front and the back of the body. IMO when I see a neck through bass like that I always think it looks cheap and nasty. I never understand why anyone would want to spend the time picking a gorgeous piece of figured wood for the top and then ruin the effect by running the bland and boring neck woods right through the middle of it.

And don't get me started on light and dark stripy necks. It's such a cliché. Surely there must be an aesthetically more pleasing way to get the same neck strength?

Yep, stringers don't need to show on the front... as it destroys the idea of the AAA facings, imo.
You can leave the back with the neck thru construction showing but on the front the only thing it does is
point to the fact that the facings don't/can't actually match up :lol:
Book-matched is book-matched, IMO...

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1370766845' post='2105177']
How can it be when I own the finest Shuker ever? :D
[/quote]

No, you are mistaken sir. I have the best Shukers. :)

I love the fat body and thin horns... If only I had some cash.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1370774074' post='2105277']
You can leave the back with the neck thru construction showing...
[/quote]

For me the facings must cover the whole of the back too. They are seen by the most important person with regards to the bass - the owner!

But if you were to ask Mr. Shuker to make any of the changes described above, I'm sure he would...
The bass featured is someone else's vision of what a bass should look/be like.
The whole idea of a custom/bespoke instrument is that is should tick all of your own [i]personal[/i] boxes. Not necessarily anyone else's.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1370897940' post='2107245']
No, i think you'll find mine is, [i]actually[/i] :)
[/quote]

[quote name='bassicinstinct' timestamp='1370944553' post='2107682']
You're all wrong!!

"Tis mine that's best I tells thee!! :)
[/quote]

You're wrong, so there :P

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1370950406' post='2107764']
Of course, with regards to the top facing covering a whole top depends on what would you have available. Some of the fanciest wood for instrument tops aren't big enough to book match and cover the whole bass.
[/quote]

Then save them for making guitars (or if they are too small for even that then don't buy them in the first place).

On the topic of exposed stringers.

If a neck through was constructed of flamed maple and a lovely padauk or something similar then I see no reason why this shouldn't be on show.

And yes Jon can make a bass however you want. In this instance like already mentioned this is someone else 'want' list.. Realised.

I still like it though..

Dare I say once it's fully finished and the hardware is on it'll look a lot better than it already does

.. We will come back and judge again. :)