Why become a member? ×

Weight.

DogHammer

Does anyone here struggle with the weight of their bass over long periods of time?

My Warwick Corvette NT $$ is pretty heavy. The specs say 4.6KG, but it feels more than that.
After a 4 and 1/2 hour band practice I feel physically ruined sometimes, and have sharp pains in my upper back.

I have gone through all the posture stuff, don't wear the bass too low, and have a lovely big comfortable strap. Its fine when gigging, as a gig is rarely past 40 minutes, but band practice is a killer. I do also have a great Fender Jazz which is nice and light but it just doesn't sound the same :mellow:

Is it just the amount of time with it strapped on? or shall I just give in and order a Status S-2 Classic with LED's all up it? tried one at the bass show and I am hankering for one.....

For me, ever since an occasional lower back problem became a chronic one, weight of the bass has become *the* most important issue when considering buying a bass. For long-ish rehearsals it has to be under 9lbs. I can get away with gigging with a 9.5lb bass that I have - but always pay for it the next day. The tone makes it worth it, though. :)

But ideally I like 8.5lbs or under. You don't have to sacrifice sound/tone but you do have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince - at least, I did. After trying a gazillion basses I have a number of sub-9lb basses that really hot the spot for my requirements from which I can pick and choose depending upon the band/gig/what colour socks I am wearing etc.

It does matter since I turned 40. I used to gig alot when I was younger with a 10.5lb Stingray and the weight if it never even crossed my mind.
Now I've put together my own custom P-bass using a lightweight body and parts. It weighs in at 8.3lbs and now once again I can just go out and play without it being an issue. Another plus to it all I found is that my lightweight P is the most resonant and growly bass I've ever owned which is the sound I was always chasing really.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1370427170' post='2100566']
4 1/2 hr practice seems a hell of a long time, surely you have some breaks during this where you can put the bass down for a bit?
[/quote]
This.
If you're playing without a break for that length of time you've nobody to blame but yourself to be honest.

For me, weight is just as important as pickup configuration, neck dimensions, scale-length etc when choosing a bass. Think mine is about 8lbs - I wouldn't go much above that (but then I'm a nine stone (ish) weakling :) ). You're never going to play your best on an instrument that you're not physically comfortable with.

As I`ve got a permanent shoulder/back injury, weight of basses is a primary concern nowadays. Had to sell my 70s Precisions as although not too heavy at 10.5 & 10lbs respectively, for a 3hr rehearsal or 2hr gig, they were just too much. I really need a bass under 9lbs, and my 2011 US Precision is around 8.4 which is fine. I`ve also down-sized from 410s to a Markbass 112 combo & 112 ext cab, and even switched from a Hiscox case to a Mono gig-bag.

I'm shedding my heavier basses (and by heavier I mean anything over 9lbs, and this bar is descending all the time), the difference playing my 7.5lb Dingwall for an evening compared to heavier basses is startling. It would have to be a very very special bass for me to buy these days if it weighed more than 8.5lb. Needless to say, the 12lb (!) 78 Jazz was the first to go.

The whole "Where's the rest of it?" 2x15 900w rig weighs 45lbs, head and cab.

The originals band I'm in sometimes practice for more than 4 1/2 hours. I sit down.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1370432967' post='2100687']
Needless to say, the 12lb (!) 78 Jazz was the first to go.
[/quote]
Ouch!
The worst one I ever came across was a late 70s Antigua finish Precision that we had in the shop I used to work in which weighed in at just a gnats under 14lb. :o

Weight is indeed a big issue regarding basses for a lot of people it seems , nowadays . It never used to be that way - back in the 1980's I don't remember one conversation with a bass player or bass builder about the prohibitive weight of any particular instrument , despite the fact that there were loads of basses around at the time that weighed a ton due to the exotic woods they were made with and the chunky brass hardware they were all equipped with . The funny thing about weight and basses is that there seems to be a tipping point around the 9 pound mark for most people . Under that feels light , over that starts to feel heavy . Half a pound either way seems to make a huge amount of difference to the percieved weight . Anything around or over ten pounds starts to feel very heavy . I like lighter basses myself , but if you want to play a selection of models , you have to accept that some designs are inherently heavier than others . 10 pounds is light for an Alembic Series 2 , for example , but heavy for a Fender Precision . If you want to play a Warwick Thumb or classic Yamaha BB bass , you will struggle to ever find one under 9 pounds . Precision Basses on the whole also tend to be lighter than Jazz Basses , although I am not sure why . I find a very wide ( 41/2 inch ) high- quality padded leather strap helps a lot , but if you want to play certain models of bass , you just have to accept that they are going to weigh a bit more . It's also worth pointing out that basses with compact bodies , like Warwicks , feel heavier than basses of the same weight with larger bodies .

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1370432967' post='2100687']
....the difference playing my 7.5lb Dingwall for an evening compared to heavier basses is startling....
[/quote]

Mmm. Maybe I should add Dingwall to my list.

In the last year I've had to (reluctantly)use my Stingray less, even though its not overly heavy.
Have started using a Precision Lyte as my main bass, made so much difference to me especially doing
maybe 3 or 4 long gigs on the trot. Also loving my Dano Longhorn for the same reason. Play this every
week in my local pub residency and never come home with aching shoulder at all.
Should maybe qualify this with the fact I'm 55 - never was a problem for me up through my 40's, and
then only after an accident which badly broke my arm.
Got a couple of Stingrays, and am thinking of selling one soon as don't honestly think it will ever
get played in anger again. (Have to keep one though, just in case of miracle cure for old age etc!!)

Weight is a factor and for any younger players who might scoff at the 40+ brigade saying so, it does come to us all. Wider straps are a must but I still play it lower than I should (old habits!)

I have 2 70s Fenders but both are lighter examples so I can easily manage a few hours in rehearsal or a couple of sets in an evening with no problems. My old Hofner had a thin retro strap but I wouldn't dream of putting that on any non hollow body bass! Certainly when I was into acquiring gear all the time the heavier ones were basses that never hung around too long.

I play an Epi thunderbird which is very heavy but I love it, although its not everyone's cup of tea. However I sit down at rehearsals and would never rehearse for more than 2 hours anyway. Over 4 seems a bit excessive. At gigs we never do sets more than 45 mins at a time which I can jut about cope with

Thanks alot for all your advice, think I will sit down for some periods and take more breaks at band practice. Unstrap and walk around a bit, will try tonight.

I am only 28 so don't want to ruin my back this early on!

Looks like my Warwick weighs in at 10.1413 LB at a conversion. So its a bit heavy.....

Oh and as far as practice hours go, we tend to do a 4 to 4 1/2 hour practice on a week day, and sometimes go up to 6 hours on a weekend. we are always writing new material and alot of our best stuff seems to come out after the 3 hour mark!

Still think its a good enough reason to get that status. :)

[quote name='DogHammer' timestamp='1370440831' post='2100885']
we are always writing new material and alot of our best stuff seems to come out after the 3 hour mark!
[/quote]
Well there's your answer - don't play until after the three hour mark. :)

I have trashed my back over the years with heavy guitars / basses, PA systems and stupidly large (but fantastic sounding) amps, unfortunately I really am paying for it now and may well be facing surgery in a few years time and if not probably a lifetime of pain killers.

Sadly even middle weight stuff (9 to 10 lbs) is taking its toll nowdays so if anyone has a balsawood bass with a killer tone I need to know about it :)

I am about to have a total clearout, most of what I have got is now too heavy for me to gig with, like another member said, my Precision Lyte is my gigging bass now, weight is everything when looking for a new bass nowdays sadly :unsure: