Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker customer service

cloudburst

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1370556118' post='2102830']
to be honest- I just read that thread in the OP - they both come across as right idiots- I'm not sure I blame Mr Hall that much for all that in there. Like the fella's been gigging with a guitar for several months and loses two bits of it.... even our nice EU warranties wouldn't cover that. Easiest thing would just been to look up the part in the american version of maplin (mouser??) and buy some rather than get into a bitching fight with the company who made it.
[/quote]
You must have read a different thing to me because what I read said customer couldn't find the screws elsewhere and also that he was willing to pay for them.

The more I hear about Rickenbacker the more I believe the make up of the organisation is wired up wrong. I'd be so pissed if I'd just paid their ridiculous prices for a guitar to be told this stuff!

Thankfully I love my (280 quid!) Kasuga Rickenfaker so much ill never need a Rickenbacker. ;-)

They're all different. I've played hundreds and there have been so many variations, but there are certain trends in certain periods. When I first tried my Fireglo '72 I'd had an '80 and a '76. It was so much better than those that it wasn't even on the same planet. The neck was (and is) totally different, the feel was totally different, the sound even more so; in a different league entirely.

Haha, spied this bleating in his latest reply on Ric resource:

[Quote]Second is, to me, validation of the axiom "Two great peoples separated by a common language". I write or respond to emails with Americans and member of many other cultures and rarely have any negative response, in in fact in many cases, I get thanks. But very often dealing with folks from the U.K. I get back angry, rude and antagonistic replies. I reread what was sent and simply don't see what could possibly be the problem with what I said. I have some theories about this and many of my close English friends have concurred- but for our purposes here, let's just say that there are still vast cultural differences at play for better or worse.[/quote]

I suspect the only cultural difference is that John Hall believe being right is his exclusive province. The example in the OP might beg to differ!

Back to the basses: Simon has a stunning 4003, one of the best I've seen, and a beauty to play - and they can seem hit and miss. I loved that one; but I've met four in the flesh, and all seemed different. I'd need to bend the ear of an expert to know why that was.

I know they vary by model and year, but are there variations between these? I've heard people comment that they really have to be tried to get a sense of what you're getting.

Sadly, now that I can readily afford a Ric, I'm the furthest I've ever been from owning one - and I'm not English ;)

[quote name='GregBass' timestamp='1370515427' post='2102003']
He should take lessons from those nice people at Hiscox cases. I recently bought one, but my Warwick was just a bit too small and rattled around in it. I mailed Hiscox support, and within 10 minutes someone called me on my mobile. He took the details and asked me to leave it with him. Two days later, four pads dropped through my door - and they were even the right colour match for the case lining. No charge - not even for the postage.
[/quote]

Hiscox are awesome for customer service, and I'll say so to anyone who'll listen. As if to prove the 'piss off one customer, lose ten' nature of the modern world, I'll now be highly unlikely to spend on Rickenbacker (or, indeed, on Award Session after reading THIS: [url="http://forum.musicradar.com/showthread.php?38732-Award-Session-problem"]http://forum.musicradar.com/showthread.php?38732-Award-Session-problem[/url]!!

Edited by Ian Savage

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1370822249' post='2106084']
Haha, spied this bleating in his latest reply on Ric resource:

I suspect the only cultural difference is that John Hall believe being right is his exclusive province. The example in the OP might beg to differ!

Back to the basses: Simon has a stunning 4003, one of the best I've seen, and a beauty to play - and they can seem hit and miss. I loved that one; but I've met four in the flesh, and all seemed different. I'd need to bend the ear of an expert to know why that was.

I know they vary by model and year, but are there variations between these? I've heard people comment that they really have to be tried to get a sense of what you're getting.

[/quote]

Yes, in my experience (quite large) they can vary greatly from bass to bass even within a given year; I'm not talking about quality, I'm talking about feel and sound. Having said that I'd say the same about many manufacturers.

For me that's been part of the fun, finding one that suits me. I much prefer my Fireglo '72 to my old '76, but the friend I sold it to much preferred the '76.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1370864292' post='2106428']
For me that's been part of the fun, finding one that suits me. I much prefer my Fireglo '72 to my old '76, but the friend I sold it to much preferred the '76.
[/quote]

I think I've had it too safe - I mean, one Stingray is much the same as the next, in terms of feel. Some will be heavier, perhaps, but there are a lot of fundamentals.

I may be out of line with this, but, CNC machines aside, aren't these guitars and basses supposed to be largely hand-crafted..? Could one surmise from that that there could be some discrepancy between batches..? I presume they'd use templates and such, but different craftsmen (or women...) could produce a quite different product. The 'Hofner' range, over the years, are a good example of 'variance' between instruments. Not necessarily a bad thing, but one would have to take that into account when choosing one's supplier, I would have thought. Buying 'blind' could, quite naturally, lead to deception. Any truth in this, or poppycock..? Just wondering... :mellow:

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1370540188' post='2102454'] Any sensible company would have been sending more than the two screws in the first place and without being asked. [/quote]

One little rubber foot fell off my Barefaced Compact. There are eight in total. From a quick email from me (I was actually just letting them know it happened in case it was common and they wanted to do something about it) they sent eight feet, eight screws. (I put a dab of glue on all of them and it has not re-occurred).

Would I buy from Barefaced again? Would I recommend them? Would I buy a Rick?

Ha, when I managed to, ahem, break my Audi they were superb at fixing it up for me - all under warranty, no questions or issues, thank you sir for being a great customer. They even valeted the thing, and the shop mechanic spent ten mins when handing me the keys telling how great my particular car was. Brilliant, I felt like a million pounds.

The best thing? Rupert Stadler never e-mailed me to call me a liar.

Caught in the gap between admiring the product, but having no time for John Hall.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1370877318' post='2106733']
I may be out of line with this, but, CNC machines aside, aren't these guitars and basses supposed to be largely hand-crafted..? Could one surmise from that that there could be some discrepancy between batches..? I presume they'd use templates and such, but different craftsmen (or women...) could produce a quite different product. The 'Hofner' range, over the years, are a good example of 'variance' between instruments. Not necessarily a bad thing, but one would have to take that into account when choosing one's supplier, I would have thought. Buying 'blind' could, quite naturally, lead to deception. Any truth in this, or poppycock..? Just wondering... :mellow:
[/quote]

true, I know at least 2 people who spent years searching the land for the perfect Gibson. My friend Rob waited 6 years before he bought his '74 Les Paul, cos it was the only one he'd found that didn't have an overly chunky neck. It was about 400 quid, this was about 20 years ago though.
Talk to Angus Young about SG necks if you have time, he is equally funny about the Gibson neck variations.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1370877709' post='2106741']
Ha, when I managed to, ahem, break my Audi they were superb at fixing it up for me - all under warranty, no questions or issues, thank you sir for being a great customer. They even valeted the thing, and the shop mechanic spent ten mins when handing me the keys telling how great my particular car was. Brilliant, I felt like a million pounds.

The best thing? Rupert Stadler never e-mailed me to call me a liar.

Caught in the gap between admiring the product, but having no time for John Hall.
[/quote]

...and presumably we can take it as read that you would be[i][u] very [/u][/i]favourably disposed towards Audi as a brand when considering any future purchases ? That is why customer service is so essential for companies selling quality consumer goods . Brand loyalty is of inestimable value in terms of future sales . What's the point of going to great lengths to create and market a quality product and then alienate your customers ? It's far more profitable to charm people than it is to chastise them .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1370879751' post='2106788']
true, I know at least 2 people who spent years searching the land for the perfect Gibson. My friend Rob waited 6 years before he bought his '74 Les Paul, cos it was the only one he'd found that didn't have an overly chunky neck. It was about 400 quid, this was about 20 years ago though.
Talk to Angus Young about SG necks if you have time, he is equally funny about the Gibson neck variations.
[/quote]

There is no [i]perfect [/i]Gibson - they all have their moments :lol:

I swear Gibson use a batch production system, with all batches being finished on a Friday afternoon :lol:

Still,[i]that sound![/i]

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1370880150' post='2106803']
...and presumably we can take it as read that you would be[i][u] very [/u][/i]favourably disposed towards Audi as a brand when considering any future purchases?
[/quote]

I have two on the driveway - my nice A6, and Al's old A4. The A4 is due to get replaced in the next year, and you might take a stab at where I'll be going with my cash.

I tell you who else people could learn from: [i]Mini. [/i]Very slick, even when cocking it up.