Why become a member? ×

Is an 810 too big for pub gigs

Damonjames

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1370368786' post='2099872']
I used an 8x10 for every gig I did for the last 10 years, pubs, clubs, festivals, inside and out. one of the easiest cabs I've ever had to move around, much easier than a 4x10. Takes up the same amount of floor space, or less, than a 4x10. Being taller, you can hear what you're playing and you can also see the controls on your amp a lot better. I do however use a van to get the band's gear about which is an advantage. Easier to wheel it in and out of a van than to coax it into a Golf. Oh, and I never had a Landlord complain either.
[/quote]
Couldn't agree more, bud. Best sound I've EVER had, does the job everywhere. ;)

Depends on the band and the pubs you play!

I used an 810 for years in a pretty loud rock covers band that tended to play bike rallies or decent sized pubs with no problems. However, the guitar player used a 412 half stack and we had use of a van not to mention all the gear was kept in a central lock up.

These days I have to get my gear to gigs in my own car, which I have to unload myself at the end of the night. Funnily enough I don’t use the 810 anymore! Now I use a 410 and would consider changing to a couple of 210s…

ur thinking of trading a Matamp for an Ampeg? I went the other way and was so glad i did. I had the SVT410HLF and i thought it was a cracking cab - til i tried the Matamp. They totally smash ampeg cabs! (i think so anyway). I even tried my Matamp 410 over a fridge and thought mine was better in every respect.

I wouldn't humph an 8x10 around. I've got a lovely light Zoot 4x10, I feed it up to 500W and I've never wanted for volume, even without PA. Done pubs, function rooms in hotels, marquees and last weekend filled a byre (that's a cow shed, in case you're unfamiliar with the word) with lovely bass. Pretty easy to get in/out of car/venues/up/down stairs.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1370587950' post='2102990']
Genz Benz Streamliner 900 in bag over my shoulder + Barefaced Super 12 in one hand. I love it, and so does my back too! :)
[/quote]

Fixed that for you.
:D

best,
bert

PS
I know. :)

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1370368786' post='2099872']
I used an 8x10 for every gig I did for the last 10 years, pubs, clubs, festivals, inside and out. one of the easiest cabs I've ever had to move around, much easier than a 4x10. Takes up the same amount of floor space, or less, than a 4x10. Being taller, you can hear what you're playing and you can also see the controls on your amp a lot better. I do however use a van to get the band's gear about which is an advantage. Easier to wheel it in and out of a van than to coax it into a Golf. Oh, and I never had a Landlord complain either.
[/quote]

Same, people think they are a nightmare to move, true they aren't a one handed lift but very few gigable cabs are.

I'm going to be trying some heads this weekend with my 8x10 and I think it'll be a keep because it is always the best rig you can play through, there is nothing more fun than an 8x10, except maybe 2 of them ;)

Yep, go for it.
I love using mine, it's pretty easy to move about, easier than all the 410's I've owned anyway. I have an GB NX212 but I still use the 810 wherever possible.
B)

Edited by kennyrodg

I think an 810, played at the same volume as the drums, sounds great. After trying to get by with a 210 combo , I got an Ashdown ABM 610 and it is like a 3/4 SVT . I hope someone will help me get it up the stairs when I get home .

I wouldn't advise against it from a volume point of view - because the volume is controllable and it's good to have the extra volume on tap if you need it - makes your rig future-proof if you find yourself playing a larger venue and can't go thru the p.a.

But I would advise against it from a size/weight point of view - pubs come in all shapes and sizes and there have been many pub gigs I've played where my 4-piece band has only just fitted into the stage area and I've been so close to the drummer that one of the cymbals kept hitting my elbow! :o At times like this, my rig being just two 2x10" cabs stacked vertically comes into its own - plenty of power and minimum footprint. :)

Surprisingly they're not that difficult to move around, with the wheels and tilt back handle on the back. I used an Ashdown 810 for years and it wasnt too bad to move around. Its the same footprint as a 4x10 too. You certainly won't need it for pub gigs but if its something you want and you aren't bothered about transporting it then go for it. Just don't ever take any bookings for gigs that involve stairs!!!

Edited by ern500evo

It's worth noting that not all 810s are the same size or weight... for example, the classic Ampeg fridge weighs 140lbs... but the Carvin RL810T weighs 118lbs. That 22lbs can make quite a difference. [size=4]And the Markbass 810 is 89lbs... a saving of more than 50lbs over the Ampeg - which is about the same weight as a Portaflex 210.[/size]

Edited by discreet

for pub gigs im using 215s pa subs,light easy to carry and 150watt head and its ample,altho 810 looks good id have to carry up 3 sets of stairs to load out of our rooms thats before getting to the gig!! like said keep urs and add a 210 cab to it,other bassests seem to like the sound of 215s

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1370588117' post='2102995']
[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3]we use TO for expressing directions or objectives. usually with the verb ( to go)[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3]ex:[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3]I go to the beach[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3]I go to the park[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3]and so on...[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3]we can use TOO by two different ways:[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3]use TOO to indicate an excessive quantity.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3]ex:[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3]Too hard [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3]Too big[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3]Too small[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3]Too simple[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3]and we can use TOO instead of ALSO at the end of a sentence.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3]I want to go TOO ( I also want to go)[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3]I want to eat TOO ( I also want to eat[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3] :PSorry, couldnt resist, its one of my pet hates [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3] [/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Thanks for the English lesson 😀It actually has less TO do with my grasp of the English language and more TO do with the keyboard on the iPhone, unfortunately it is prone to typos!

Edited by Damonjames

Also, we have posters who 1st lanaguage isn't english and as we all know
english is easily to be understood at a basic level, but so much harder to write it...so I cut them some slack...

plus, I don't spell or grammar check myself and this is a very informal medium so I never worry about how correct
or not, I might be.
I am no fan of txt speak, but this is just for banter so mistakes between 'friends' is no biggie for me.

If it fits on stage without obstructing everyone else you're fine :D You won't need to turn up that much either, because with the speakers right by your ears you'll be able to hear yourself much better. But as has already been said, you may get sick of carting it about eventually!

Yeah I do love my matamp 610, sounds awesome, I was just going through a grass is greener phase.... But it is an animal to get around, the extra height of the 810 would make great leverage plus that handle and built in wheels would be pretty dang sweet 😀

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1370291870' post='2098817']
Hey guys, I'm new to doing pub gigs and I'm hoping my band will be up and running soon so have a question, is an 810 cab to big for pub gig?? I'm looking to trade up to an all ampeg setup but wondering if it will be overkill. At the end of the day it has te same footprint as a 410....
[/quote]

It's probably unconventional but if its what you want go for it. Theres a few things to keep in mind though, and these have come from my experiences using 810's (the last of which I sold for €450 a few weeks ago).[list]
[*]Size [u]WILL[/u] be an issue in some venues.
[*]Transportation will be a bitch and your mates won' be happy when they have to move it with you (initially it won't be a problem but it gets old quickly).
[*]Depending on the head it will be hard to get a decent sound (many heads have crappy sustain/clarity with the volume control at less than 2 IME and if you have a decent head you're not going to push it much farther in a smaller sized venue).
[*]Its going to get knocked around on the pub scene, be prepared to take a serious hit on resale value if you do plan on selling further down the line.
[*]If you're the type who gets offended easily then its not for you because every noob wannabe is going to be all like "look at yer man with his 810, w***er!, who does he think he is?, w***er!!" or whatever those pesky kids say nowadays.....
[*]Will a POD and a decent PA give you the same basic sound without any of the problems listed above? Basically, yes.
[/list]

FWIW, I've found that the more basic I can make our bands set-up the easier it is to get to the venue, get the job done, get the gear in the van and get to the next gig. When ye do eventually start taking multiple bookings for the same day/evening a quick turn-around is a Godsend. Lugging an 810 into the back of a Transporter in a 3piece suit is not fun at all.