Why become a member? ×

Is an 810 too big for pub gigs

Damonjames

Hey guys, I'm new to doing pub gigs and I'm hoping my band will be up and running soon so have a question, is an 810 cab to big for pub gig?? I'm looking to trade up to an all ampeg setup but wondering if it will be overkill. At the end of the day it has te same footprint as a 410....

Edited by Damonjames

All depends on the size of the pub, and the size of the band. You certainly don't [i]need[/i] an 8x10 any more (I had one a long time ago) for volume - there's plenty of much smaller kit which will do the job, but hey, if you wanna stand in front of one (and don't mind lugging it around), go for it!

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1370291870' post='2098817']
Hey guys, I'm new to doing pub gigs and I'm hoping my band will be up and running soon so have a question, is an 810 cab to big for pub gig?? I'm looking to trade up to an all ampeg setup but wondering if it will be overkill. At the end of the day it has te same footprint as a 410....
[/quote]

Foot print is the same as a 4x10 but it won't be long before the other guys in the band tell you to stick it when you need a hand carrying into/out of venues. I go for a single 12 and the PA. Sounds great and I can carry my rig with no help needed. Keeps band friendships friendly lol!

As others have said, I too think it depends on the space you expect at venues and how easy you want transport, movement, etc to be. We're just three instruments (guitar, bass, drums) + vocals with a standard size drum kit and 2x12 guitar combo but I still often only get sufficient space to stand a 2x10 on its thin end. Manoeuvring 2x10 size packages into and out of a recent pub gig was fine but an 8x10 would have been pretty tricky. But maybe we just play cosy pubs!

Yes. You'll look ridiculous and I have difficulties bringing my 1x10 combos in and out of pubs let alone a stinking great 8x10 fridge!

You only really need a relatively efficient 2x10/1x12/1x15 cab to fill a pub with lovely bass.

Truckstop

Apart from the physical size and weight issues I think you'll also have problems with the 'throw' of the low end frequencies.

In a lot of pub sized venues you're going have a low rumble hitting rear and side walls and bouncing all over the place with a lack of definition.

Landlord / punters will be asking to have the low end tamed and you'll need to cut bass frequencies on the amp and then you'll be kinda defeating the object of having the fridge with you in the first place.

You may well also find the lack of space will mean you're standing really close to it but that the way it's chucking volume out into the room means you might not be able to hear yourself very well unless you chuck loads of mids into the mix.

There is a time and place for the venerable 8x10 but I'm really not sure it's in a pub. This could be a reflection on why used ones are available for so little money these days whilst, conversely, 1x12's, 2x12's and 2x10's are holding values much better.

Edited by molan

I think that an 810 isn`t too big sound-wise, but practicality - well seeing as some pubs are a nightmare to get a 410 into, I wouldn`t want all the malarkey. If the visuals of the 810 is needed, I`d go 2 x 410, or, seeing as you already have the 610, get the 210 that`s up for grabs on here at present (am assuming it`s Ampeg we`re talking about here).

Honestly no its not to big at all if you like the sound of them, id have an 810 if i could afford one.

And i help my drummer in with the kit, and our guitarist in with there 412 they can give me a lift for 2mins to bring my cab in plus the peg 810's have wheels so really arent bad at all.

And you can still be too loud with a 112.

Go with what you want id either look at a 610hlf as loz says but its not the same sound as an 810 but really try one out.

Guest MoJo

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1370294843' post='2098885']
Most landlords will get in a mood as soon as they see it
[/quote]

This ;)

I used an 8x10 for every gig I did for the last 10 years, pubs, clubs, festivals, inside and out. one of the easiest cabs I've ever had to move around, much easier than a 4x10. Takes up the same amount of floor space, or less, than a 4x10. Being taller, you can hear what you're playing and you can also see the controls on your amp a lot better. I do however use a van to get the band's gear about which is an advantage. Easier to wheel it in and out of a van than to coax it into a Golf. Oh, and I never had a Landlord complain either.

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1370295552' post='2098896']
Ill throw into the mix that I already have a 610 so trading down at this point seems unlikely. As stupid as it sounds I think the 810 would be easier to manoeuvre with the built in handle and wheels!
[/quote]

There are pubs and pubs, in terms of size but generally it isn't the size it could be the sound...and not from where you hear it, but from the punters
POV.
And if you don't run them with a very decent amp... the cabs can be hard work.
To get perspective of how they can work... you think you are just loud, but the windows in the pub are rattling and people have stopped breathing :lol:
and I am not sure this is what you really want or need....
And if you don't use the volume... what is the point..??

so yes... IMO...too big for pubs..!!!