Why become a member? ×

Singing and playing at the same time

Roger2611

I already do a tiny bit of backing vocals on a couple of songs (real complex stuff like the chorus for Teenage Kicks and If You Wanna) I really would like to do some more but I am really struggling to sing, maintain timing and remembering to breathe :unsure: especially when playing fingers stylie, any tips out there for how best to try and develop my massive singing talents

Our set requires a mix of pick and finger styles

Most of the basslines are practiced to the point where I don't get them wrong, I know the words I need to be singing but put them together and it quickly becomes a train wreck.

Come on all you multi taskers out there what's the secret?

Tips - Yes.

No 1 Tip - practise. Why would you expect to do it easily without practise? Could you drive before you practised ? Play bass before you practised ?

No 2 Tip - Put on the actors clothes and pretend you're confident. Go at that mic like you the best in the world. Pretend. Next time - you'll act that bit less and feel that bit more properly confident...and the time after that and the time after that etc etc.

That's how I did it. I'm not the best in the world but I can think I am - sometimes that's just as useful.

I simplify the bass line when I need to sing (I do backing vox on some songs and lead vox on others) and then go back to the correct bass line in between lines. We cover 'Should I stay or should I go' which has a great bass line in chorus but is still easy to sing as walking parts are between lines.

If it was easy, anybody could do it. It all comes down to practice and repetition. I don't understand how muscle memory works exactly but I know that it does work. Practice your bass lines enough and they will become automatic, allowing you to concentrate on the vocals.
There's nothing as satisfying as knowing that you've added another dimension to your band's sound by being able to play and sing at the same time.

Good luck.

Myk

Yolanda Charles does some great workshops on this very subject so check You Tube.
The way she suggests you do it is learn the bassline and the song seperately and then bring them together very slowly. Slow the tempo down and onley start speeding up when you have it right at the slower tempo.

When I come to bits I can't do together, I sit down and figure out exactly how the bassline and vocal line intertwine within each beat of the bar, much like playing the melody and bass on a piano I guess. Put the metronome on really slow, and work your way up to speed. Don't be afraid to start it craaaazy slow, I often have to.

I agree with Bass Bunny too. There's a great tip I saw of Yolanda's, where she's playing a syncopated bassline, and just counting the beat out loud over the top, first in crotchets, then quavers. Might sound easy, but it can get pretty difficult. Also try playing the same bassline, and having a regular conversation with someone at the same time without losing the groove. All this stuff helps me!

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1370291968' post='2098820']

That's how I did it. I'm not the best in the world but I can think I am - sometimes that's just as useful.
[/quote]

I reckon I am the best singer in the world , the only issue is, everyone else in the world doesn't have the skill to appreciatte it. its a shame as they are missing out and end up listening to the likes of Take That :( .....learn to listen peeps , don't take in the ridiculous notion that you need to hit a tune to sing , just get stubborn :rolleyes: ,

Ps ..I reckon Dr Dave can walk the walk though :P

As others have already said, practice!
Keep yer basslines simple whilst singing & practice.

Anybody see that Wings over America documentary t'other week? Not a macca fan but it was interesting to see how much the thumbs aloft tosser simplified the bassline to allow the vocals to shine. Also helps notice the bassline when not singing as he then busied it up a bit, throwing more melodic stuff in.

It's hard, but it comes with time and practice. I already sing lead vox on about a quarter of the set anyway, and occasionally have had to sing all of it. If you're looking at doing more Bvox, then the main focus will still be on your lead singer anyway so your main focus should still be the bass. If you're looking at doing lead vox, then as others have said - simplify the bass if necessary and concentrate on projecting the voice. Eyes on the crowd at all times. Bestaluck.

BB

Yep, practice and take it slow. Done some lead vox with bass but mostly it's been backing vox. Even then I don't subscribe to the 'do it often enough and you can do anything' any more with vox-with-bass than I do bass on its own. There are some basslines that are technically beyond me and always will be and the same goes for some vox with basslines. It's getting the balance right of putting in the work on things that might pay off and letting go those that will take a disproportionate amount of work with poor odds of getting an acceptable outcome.