Why become a member? ×

Recording using two Shuker Basses.

voxpop

Guys , I have been in the studio and recorded three songs with The Wrong'uns.
I've been asked by a few BassChatters to post my recordings using the two Shukers.

The recording chain was bass into a Origin Cali76 compressor, Avalon u5 di into the desk with another feed into the 65amps Apollo valve head and 1x15 cab mic'ed with my vintage Sennheiser 441.

I set the amp to have a slight overdrive sound with the desk feed being totally clean. The two sounds were then mixed together at the mixing stage. EQ on the amp was flat with just a small mid scoop on the Avalon ( setting 4 ).

http://www.reverbnation.com/wronguns

The first track, Unfall for you was recorded with the Artist using the piezo pickup only with a large scoop in the mids around 800hz. This gave a very clear acoustic sound with great weight and punch.

Twist the knife was also recorded with the Artist chambered body bass but using the magnetic Delano pickup only. This has a very Jazz bass sound, lots of punchy mids. I left the eq on the bass flat for this track.

Last was Stories in stone were I wanted to have a strong P Bass sound so I used the fretless for this one. It has a very P Bass sound with lots of depth and growl, perfect for a more heavy sound. I used just a little upper mid boost to bring out the fretless and P Bass split pickup sound.

Hope you enjoy these tracks as they give a very accurate sound of the Shuker basses.

Let me know your thoughts regarding the sound and the music.

Thanks.

Edited by voxpop